Rousseau Opts out - F****

The lighting quick signing with Rosenhaus was very odd.

Texting Manny at the press conference saying he was gonna opt out was odd.

Something fishy happened behind the scenes. I wouldn’t put it past Rosenhaus.

He could of opted out and waited to see what happened, but he signed like an hour after telling Manny.
From reading the Navarro story it sounds like he wanted to get fronted the $$$ to get his mom off the front lines and protect his family.

I won't impugn his character for making that choice but NFL front offices will question his commitment to football, and there are definite question marks on film that could drop him from top 10 to the 20 range. Old school front offices are always skeptical of guys who are 1-year starters and GR isn't even that. He has the ACL tear in his background and who knows how his knee will check out when tested. He hasn't shown he can take on blocks in college so the adjustment to NFL physicality and run defense will be severe. There are a lot of things that can go wrong for him in the draft process.

Advertisement
From reading the Navarro story it sounds like he wanted to get fronted the $$$ to get his mom off the front lines and protect his family.

I won't impugn his character for making that choice but NFL front offices will question his commitment to football, and there are definite question marks on film that could drop him from top 10 to the 20 range. Old school front offices are always skeptical of guys who are 1-year starters and GR isn't even that. He has the ACL tear in his background and who knows how his knee will check out when tested. He hasn't shown he can take on blocks in college so the adjustment to NFL physicality and run defense will be severe. There are a lot of things that can go wrong for him in the draft process.

It may be "old school," but that doesn't make it wrong. If you want to get drafted to play professional football, then at some point in your life you have to actually PLAY A FEW DOWNS OF FOOTBALL.

I see these first round projections for Rousseau and just laugh. People can have their opinions, but I HIGHLY doubt he goes in the first round.

He has injury issues, and then he voluntarily opts out of playing when he's finally healthy. So he only has one year of film. I think NFL execs are gonna look at that and say the kid has a high likelihood of being a bust.

I mean... does the kid even enjoy playing football? Maybe he doesn't have the mental and physical toughness to last a full season in the NFL. You can't coast by on talent alone in the NFL, you have to be willing to put in the blood, sweat and tears. You can't deny the kid has a high upside, but any team who takes Rousseau in the 1st round is taking a huge risk IMO. "Opting out" is insanely soft, and opens him up to huge questions about his grit, determination, love of the game, and character.

So I highly doubt he gets drafted as early as some of those projections show. But we'll see. I'm right more often than not.

Everyone has their own opinion about GR15 opting out, personally I don’t fault him for making a business decision in the midst of an unprecedented situation.

I just listened to his interview with Ivins, this guy has a great head on his shoulders and I think NFL execs are going to gush over him not just because of his size and skill set, but because they’re going to see a great locker room guy and someone who’s going to be a great team ambassador.

Everyone has their own opinion about GR15 opting out, personally I don’t fault him for making a business decision in the midst of an unprecedented situation.

I just listened to his interview with Ivins, this guy has a great head on his shoulders and I think NFL execs are going to gush over him not just because of his size and skill set, but because they’re going to see a great locker room guy and someone who’s going to be a great team ambassador.

I’m sure he’s a fine young man with a great head on his shoulders. I’m just not convinced he is or wants to be a football player. His actions say otherwise

If he were, he wouldn’t have opted out. And if he valued his team, he wouldn’t have abandoned them to sit on his couch this season.

There are a lot of football players who put winning above everything else, who put their teams above everything else. Those are the guys who sacrifice their bodies week in and week out, who play banged up, and who will do anything to improve at their craft.

Not a knock on Rousseau that he isn’t one of those guys - those guys are special. But it’s people with that kind of grit who win respect in the locker room and end up having long careers - they put in the work every day. The players who rely solely on talent but who don’t truly love the game normally flame out after a couple seasons.

All that might be true, but whatever our view on COVID is and how serious or not the current state of the pandemic is, I was impressed (assuming it is sincere) that it sounded like his decision was primarily based on the well being of his parents.

Advertisement
Advertisement

It ain't like he was gonna get coached up with our staff lol!

Advertisement
It may be "old school," but that doesn't make it wrong. If you want to get drafted to play professional football, then at some point in your life you have to actually PLAY A FEW DOWNS OF FOOTBALL.

I see these first round projections for Rousseau and just laugh. People can have their opinions, but I HIGHLY doubt he goes in the first round.

He has injury issues, and then he voluntarily opts out of playing when he's finally healthy. So he only has one year of film. I think NFL execs are gonna look at that and say the kid has a high likelihood of being a bust.

I mean... does the kid even enjoy playing football? Maybe he doesn't have the mental and physical toughness to last a full season in the NFL. You can't coast by on talent alone in the NFL, you have to be willing to put in the blood, sweat and tears. You can't deny the kid has a high upside, but any team who takes Rousseau in the 1st round is taking a huge risk IMO. "Opting out" is insanely soft, and opens him up to huge questions about his grit, determination, love of the game, and character.

So I highly doubt he gets drafted as early as some of those projections show. But we'll see. I'm right more often than not.
So you would take that cat from Michigan who has fewer sacks in his 4 years (11.5) and is projected as the first edge player now over Rousseau or Phillips? I would take Rousseau all day everyday. Kid had people ( Rosevnhaus) giving him very bad advice!

Advertisement
Instead of ban bets, how about a tagline bet? That way we get to keep good posters around.

For everyone saying Greg Rousseau is a SURE FIRE first round pick...he may well end up being...but, just for a few samples of Way Too Early Mock Drafts from 2019...

Matt Miller's Mock -- only 11 of 32 picks ended up as Round 1 picks.
Ben Standig (NBC) -- only 8 of 32 picks ended up as Round 1 picks.
USAToday (from September) -- only 12 of 32 picks ended up as Round 1 picks.

A few other no name blogs I was counting up, somewhere between 9 and 12 picks ended up as Round 1 picks.

Outside of Chase Young, a lot of these blogs had numerous "EDGE" players as high R1 picks and they did not end up R1 picks.

No sure things out there.

Also, I've said it before in threads around draft time, but I can not stress enough...athletic testing matters for EDGE players...a lot.

For posterity.

Advertisement
Back