Romancane retweeted by Rudy

i would say you are correct. however, there may have already been a board resolution/consent/approval delegating the responsibility to Frenk with certain parameters. if so, then Frenk would have authority. speculating but the reporting seems to indicate Frenk has the authority.

Sure, but at the same time, the CONTRACT still has to be ratified by the BOT (based on comp, duration, perqs, etc.). No matter what, that is still an unavoidable step, and it is the back-door/trap-door that Epstein has been pounding on.

That's all. Not fighting with anyone. Hire/fire could certainly be delegated within parameters, but JULIO FRENK HIMSELF cannot unilaterally bind UM to certain kinds of contracts without BOT approval.

Advertisement
Which is why I stated earlier that Frenk is not going to recommend a candidate so controversial that it will not get approved by the BoT. With this covey of quails called the BoT, Frenk hiring a search firm that vets the AD candidate was politically smart. Except for a few cacklers, it will be tough for them to not approve his recommendation. I don't think the recommendation will be the "safe" pick, but I also don't think it will be a high risk/reward guy either.

Yep. A bunch of posters seem to think that these high-stakes games are just black-and-white binary choices, but the President and the BOT have a lot of other stuff on the agenda, and while Athletics/Football may be the most important thing TO THIS BOARD, it is not as high of a priority ALL THE TIME for the BOT. For the last few months? Sure, Athletics/Football have rocketed to the #1 spot with a bullet. But after this crisis gets addressed, it will be "back to our regularly-scheduled programming".

Maybe they already know who the AD is and they are just waiting to make it public until immediately before, during, or immediately after the Pac-12 Championship game.

Shockingly rationale analysis. I mean, compared to the other knee-jerk stuff that I read from other posters.

Let's just relax for, at most, 48 hours.

Inaccurate. Frenk makes his recommendation, but the BOT must approve. In non-BOT-Civil-War times, and on less controversial hires, the BOT approval may be a slam dunk, but this has not proven to be so for this AD hire.

Essentially, key jobs that involve multi-year employment contracts and high compensation are the ones that require BOT approval. Frenk wants to hire a head of the International Studies program? No big deal. Frenk has a recommendation on an AD that involves a multi-year employment contract with million-dollar compensation? Yeah, he can't do that unilaterally.

And let's not forget the context. The Athletic Department is just a small (but important) part of UM, and the President and BOT have to work together on SO MANY issues past the next couple of weeks. Consensus-building is important for long-term harmony, which is why I am shocked that Epstein has pushed all his chips into the middle of the table over this issue.
Your knowledge and insight into the inner workings of the BOT and the admin in general should not go unnoticed. I appreciate what you share and hope many others do as well.

Advertisement
Do you think 2020 being a Covid-19 impacted year delayed a change? Coupled with a 5-1 limited schedule may have delayed his decision? Thanks for your opinion and response.
Yeah, for sure.

He was hired in November 2019 so he could have fired Helton right after that (COVID hit in Feb 2020 circa).

Pretty similar timing compared to Miami situation.

Helton
2018: 5-7
2019: 8-5

Diaz
2019: 6-7
2020: 8-3

All i know is that Miami needs a total transfusion. Getting by on their past history and saying they will be back hasn’t worked for the last 20 years. It’s time to move on and build a new dynasty. The U needs a complete house cleaning.these recruits never saw the 2001 team and could care less. It’s time for a fresh new approach and stop fooling the fan base alum and former players that the U is back.

Your knowledge and insight into the inner workings of the BOT and the admin in general should not go unnoticed. I appreciate what you share and hope many others do as well.

Much appreciation, thank you, sir. Been observing the BOT for 35 years, since my UM Student Government days...not much has changed (sadly)...plus it is now a bit more fun to have old friends who are Trustees...makes things...interesting...

Advertisement
Agree 100%, there are precedents though: Mike Bohn, who seem to be the better AD in the country now (rightfully so), kept Clay Helton 1 year and half before firing him.
He did but let’s not overlook the fact that Helton had the #7 overall recruiting class last year. That allowed Bohn the time to evaluate Helton without risking multiple recruiting classes.

Advertisement
Back