Romancane retweeted by Rudy

Ya know, I did some digging and I think you're right. While the AD reports to the president, seems that the AD hire has to be approved by BOT. This is something I found online:

Now, UM might have different bylaws regarding who the BOT has to sign off on, but I would suspect it's pretty consistent across most universities.

It's all good, man, I think we have all been so bamboozled by "sportswriters" telling us dumb things like "hey, Frenk has this, it's his decision", that we lose sight of the fact that UM has been running THE SAME WAY for decades.

I'm no fan of Frenk's, but he's in a tough spot here. He is dealing with the most controversial issue in his 6 years while he is trying to get a new 5-year contract.

Advertisement
We keep hearing 4 people are making this decision on the AD (5 making decision on Manny when the AD is hired) - Obviously Frenk, Joe, Rudy, but who is the 4th? Am I naïve here? @DMoney
The conversation with the AD candidates will include their plans for the current HC. You have a better chance of winning the lottery than Manny does coaching next year at UM. Think about it, your the new AD, do you want 80% of the fan base disliking you on Day 1? You were hired to solve a problem, not to allow it to get worse. Manny is gone, all that remains is the conversation.

The conversation with the AD candidates will include their plans for the current HC. You have a better chance of winning the lottery than Manny does coaching next year at UM. Think about it, your the new AD, do you want 80% of the fan base disliking you on Day 1? You were hired to solve a problem, not to allow it to get worse. Manny is gone, all that remains is the conversation.
I feel the same way but if it was that straightforward they would have already done it or they'll do it today. There's also a sense of 'if we can't get x,y, or z we'll just stick with Diaz another year' and that's not how a coaching search or a decision on a coach should ever be executed. If you think he's replaceable then he needs to be replaced regardless.

Besides.. if they don't get Mario or Kiffin now, they're not doing it next year either because they're only going to get more expensive when they both sign the new norm 10 year deal.

Also, there's not going to be any additional candidates next year that aren't on the table now. No surprises are going to suddenly appear. This is the coaching pool.

Inaccurate. Frenk makes his recommendation, but the BOT must approve. In non-BOT-Civil-War times, and on less controversial hires, the BOT approval may be a slam dunk, but this has not proven to be so for this AD hire.

Essentially, key jobs that involve multi-year employment contracts and high compensation are the ones that require BOT approval. Frenk wants to hire a head of the International Studies program? No big deal. Frenk has a recommendation on an AD that involves a multi-year employment contract with million-dollar compensation? Yeah, he can't do that unilaterally.

And let's not forget the context. The Athletic Department is just a small (but important) part of UM, and the President and BOT have to work together on SO MANY issues past the next couple of weeks. Consensus-building is important for long-term harmony, which is why I am shocked that Epstein has pushed all his chips into the middle of the table over this issue.
I too was under impression that BOT suggests who they want, but ultimately it is President who decides who is hired. At least that is how most Universities work…maybe not UM

Advertisement
The hope is that Rudy, Julio and joe are truly keeping a tight seal on their decision knowing full well that the BOT is a collection of loose lips. Julio is the one that hires the AD - not the board. Hoping Julio makes his own decision based on Rudy/joe/search firm’s feedback.

ab6761610000e5ebeb26b397cfc1d5b785296cdd

Agree 100%, there are precedents though: Mike Bohn, who seem to be the better AD in the country now (rightfully so), kept Clay Helton 1 year and half before firing him.

I too was under impression that BOT suggests who they want, but ultimately it is President who decides who is hired. At least that is how most Universities work…maybe not UM

Again, incorrect, FOR CERTAIN JOBS. For this job, Athletic Director, Frenk "recommends" and the BOT approves or disapproves.

And almost every other university operates on a similar (but not identical) premise, that the President cannot unilaterally hire anyone he/she wants for key positions involving multi-year employment contracts and high levels of compensation.

There are always checks-and-balances, even at universities where the President and Board have particularly close and/or cooperative relationships.

Again, incorrect, FOR CERTAIN JOBS. For this job, Athletic Director, Frenk "recommends" and the BOT approves or disapproves.

And almost every other university operates on a similar (but not identical) premise, that the President cannot unilaterally hire anyone he/she wants for key positions involving multi-year employment contracts and high levels of compensation.

There are always checks-and-balances, even at universities where the President and Board have particularly close and/or cooperative relationships.
I think in Texas, the board or regents has to approve all of Fishers extensions and contract offers before its actually made. it makes sense. presidents can leave at any time, but the BOT has a longer term investment into the future of the school and needs to make sure an individual isn't running a clown show without any oversight

Advertisement
Inaccurate. Frenk makes his recommendation, but the BOT must approve. In non-BOT-Civil-War times, and on less controversial hires, the BOT approval may be a slam dunk, but this has not proven to be so for this AD hire.

Essentially, key jobs that involve multi-year employment contracts and high compensation are the ones that require BOT approval. Frenk wants to hire a head of the International Studies program? No big deal. Frenk has a recommendation on an AD that involves a multi-year employment contract with million-dollar compensation? Yeah, he can't do that unilaterally.

And let's not forget the context. The Athletic Department is just a small (but important) part of UM, and the President and BOT have to work together on SO MANY issues past the next couple of weeks. Consensus-building is important for long-term harmony, which is why I am shocked that Epstein has pushed all his chips into the middle of the table over this issue.
i would say you are correct. however, there may have already been a board resolution/consent/approval delegating the responsibility to Frenk with certain parameters. if so, then Frenk would have authority. speculating but the reporting seems to indicate Frenk has the authority.

Which is why I stated earlier that Frenk is not going to recommend a candidate so controversial that it will not get approved by the BoT. With this covey of quails called the BoT, Frenk hiring a search firm that vets the AD candidate was politically smart. Except for a few cacklers, it will be tough for them to not approve his recommendation. I don't think the recommendation will be the "safe" pick, but I also don't think it will be a high risk/reward guy either.

He seems to be the voice of reason among the OBBs.
They all have their moments where they are the voice of reason. Ro is just the one with the longest fuse. Some people lose their mind at the drop of a hat, others will take a lot of **** and handle it with an even keel, but when you push them too far, kaboom, or I guess I should say BANG!

Toast and Scoop have been far more right and far more useful over the past 3-5 years, until the day Blake got fired. Right now, Roman is the one they should all be listening to. All great guys, just my sense on the dynamic amongst them.

patience-singer.gif

Advertisement
Agree 100%, there are precedents though: Mike Bohn, who seem to be the better AD in the country now (rightfully so), kept Clay Helton 1 year and half before firing him.
Do you think 2020 being a Covid-19 impacted year delayed a change? Coupled with a 5-1 limited schedule may have delayed his decision? Thanks for your opinion and response.

Which raises the question, if they know they have a weasel/rat/little ***** (Epstein) spreading all this false information then what actions can they take to remove her from the board? @TheOriginalCane do you know how that works?
Any one leaking is violating their duties to the university and can be removed. **** if you suspect it, I’d wager you can remove them. Need to know more about the university organizational docs to say legally what the options are, but there should be blood in the streets, figuratively, for this JV bull****.

Advertisement

Gotcha. Thank you for explaining. I just hope BOT and/or Frenk do what is best and right

We keep hearing 4 people are making this decision on the AD (5 making decision on Manny when the AD is hired) - Obviously Frenk, Joe, Rudy, but who is the 4th? Am I naïve here? @DMoney
I've been wondering the same thing? Maybe the 5th is the search firm?

But the hire still needs BOT approval, right? If so, they can stall the process if there is enough of them against it.
There won't be. It's possible, but that would be the political equivalent of mutually assured destruction. It won't happen.

Look im all for the talk about how "real teams move in silence" and to be patient because behind the scenes the people who are in charge are about to put together something that will blow all of our minds..But my only issue is if we are indeed hiring Nunez (who I am not totally against, I know alot of posters hate the idea but the guy has AD experience. Besides, as long as he stays out of Mario or Lanes way I dont care who the AD is)..but anyway, if they are going to hire Nunez, why is it taking 3 weeks to hire a guy of this caliber? Why is it taking 3 weeks to get a Nunez/Zo package or Nunez/Zo/Gino package? Nunez should be begging to get the **** out of NM to take a job at Miami! And even if its not Nunez, it shouldnt take this long to hire an AD. I dont care what they are doing behind the scenes. Especially if you dont have Marios 100% commitment that he is coming. If we have to court him another week to convince him to come then someone dropped the ball big time. We should be courting him now behind the scenes with an AD already hired.
Maybe they already know who the AD is and they are just waiting to make it public until immediately before, during, or immediately after the Pac-12 Championship game.

Advertisement
Back