Robert Burns

He's going to be passed up.

Even from a talent perspective, he's not as good as four running backs/recruits already on the team. Lingard, Cam, DeeJay, Homer...

If he gives us any meaningful snaps, its a bonus.

This is just not true. Healthy burns is as capable as everyone of the backs but also adds size/power combo that none of them possess.

Healthy Burns hasn't existed in four years. Also, I'm very hesitant in agreeing with the notion that a back whose best film was at 16 years old can compete with what I've seen recently from Lingard or CamDavis, nevermind what I've seen collegiately from Homer and DeeJay Dallas.

At this point, he's a lotto ticket I am comfortable with not scratching off until the expiration date. I'm too interested in backs we've already got available and ready to go.

As long as he's enrolled, I am just putting him in the Choc Gray bin. I'd love to get more from him, but I've just got not faith at this point.

Advertisement
Would be a nice depth bonus if he stays healthy.
Not just that, but can you imagine a talented back like that coming in late in games with fresh legs? Then again, with the rotation we will see, they should ALL have fresh legs late in games. Like you say, depth. Not just "if players A gets injured" depth, but quality rotational depth, which helps prevent players from getting injured. Here's hoping he stays healthy and shocks the world.

I'm not too worried about his lack of play the last few years, because natural talent doesn't go away. He's also been in the S&C program a while, which can only help.

Burns had bone issues with his feet for the last few years that have been surgically repaired.Like many other injuries the last few years he has put extra pressures on his other parts of his body that created other injuries and gave him the reputation of always being injured.Last year Walton had a badly sprained ankle and hurt his good ankle worse trying to play or Richards who had a hamstring pull and hurt his knee trying to contribute.Burns looks completely healed and is running like his high school highlights film.He could be a pleasant surprise.He reminds me of a young Jonathan Stewart.

Advertisement
Burns had bone issues with his feet for the last few years that have been surgically repaired.Like many other injuries the last few years he has put extra pressures on his other parts of his body that created other injuries and gave him the reputation of always being injured.Last year Walton had a badly sprained ankle and hurt his good ankle worse trying to play or Richards who had a hamstring pull and hurt his knee trying to contribute.Burns looks completely healed and is running like his high school highlights film.He could be a pleasant surprise.He reminds me of a young Jonathan Stewart.

Here's hoping. I've never once questions Burns' talent, he's good there. But you're only as good as your availability, and right now he has the stigma of someone who's always injured. I hope he proves me wrong and we can dig up posts of mine where I look like an idiot. I want this kid to succeed here, but I'll believe he's healthy on a consistent basis when I see it. Also, the points you made regarding injuries affecting other parts are spot on, just so you don't think I'm disagreeing with you.

Burns is going to shut a lot of people up and contribute to this team. I hear he’s an incredible person with a great head on his shoulders. Would not surprise me if he played a role at FB. I can see him playing a Quadrine Hill type role in the near future.

Burns as a freshman had an insane sparq rating. If not for the injury not only would he be the number one back but at least a top 10 recruit.
We have a really good training staff and some of the best Orthopaedist in the country. I found it odd that he would have a chronic foot injury and they allowed him to put on that weight and go full speed. Maybe the plan is for him to loose like 10-15lbs before the season but the fact that he’s cleared at his current weight is a good sign. That’s a lot of weight going down hill with all of our backs and Realus.
Zipper half way down!!!
I’ll be the guy in the trench coat come spring game.

Frank Gore was more injured than he played. A lot of people wrote him off. Might hit the 15,000 mark before he is done.

Apples and oranges. Gore was highly productive in HS and was very productive in his freshman year here. Burns doesn’t even have that.

Advertisement
Here's hoping. I've never once questions Burns' talent, he's good there. But you're only as good as your availability, and right now he has the stigma of someone who's always injured. I hope he proves me wrong and we can dig up posts of mine where I look like an idiot. I want this kid to succeed here, but I'll believe he's healthy on a consistent basis when I see it. Also, the points you made regarding injuries affecting other parts are spot on, just so you don't think I'm disagreeing with you.

Same here. I've always just assumed he'd never be healthy enough to play. How I hope I'm wrong!

So the "MYTHICAL" Robert Burns sightings were correct!!!??

Guess that leaves Sasquatch, Space Aliens and fairness within the NCAA as the only remaining myths

I wish him well

Apples and oranges. Gore was highly productive in HS and was very productive in his freshman year here. Burns doesn’t even have that.
Not yet. The NFL has plenty of players were out for a couple years in high school or college.. You cannot teach natural talent that Burns has. Gore and McGahee had serious injuries and came back. It is a joke the way people have written him off.

Advertisement
Frank Gore was more injured than he played. A lot of people wrote him off. Might hit the 15,000 mark before he is done.

Gore is arguably the greatest athlete and football player to come out of South Florida. Burns is no where near that level. Talented? Sure. But easy on the comparisons. Gore overcoming his injuries is the exception and an act of god. Let’s see what Burns does.

Gore is arguably the greatest athlete and football player to come out of South Florida. Burns is no where near that level. Talented? Sure. But easy on the comparisons. Gore overcoming his injuries is the exception and an act of god. Let’s see what Burns does.
Agree Gore was a different beast period. In burns defense he was a top player in the country at one point so hope he can regain that form. ESPN had him rated top 110 in the country even after injuries

Brown talking up Burns in the post-practice media Q&A. 225 with elite agility. If healthy, the kid will not be denied. I hope Richt will go up tempo and run 70+ snaps of offense a game, with 40 going to the backs. Richt has traditionally liked to go with 2, with a feature back getting most of the carries. But how do you sit 5-star talents like Burns and Lingard?

Advertisement
For some reason I felt like I read Gore's knee inuuriee happening young were good. Something about them being too narrow to carry his miscle mass, I can't remember for sure. I'll have to try to dig the article.

Don’t forget Cedrick Wright
I already forgot him. The name sounds vaguely familiar, though.

I did look at some of Burns' HS video and I was very impressed. Don't know what year in HS, but I know he has or had talent. Whether he is healthy, the odds are not in his favor, but you never know.

One of our great RBs over the past decade or so had one or more HS injuries which deprived him of a lot of playing time his senior year. I think it was the Edge but I can't remember. Never had similar injuries in college, so maybe there's hope.

The kid can use a break. By all accounts, according to the coaches and his teammates, Burns is a remarkable young man. I watched the special on him that someone posted a few months ago, and came away very impressed. I am really pulling for the kid.
Yeah he seems like a good kid

Advertisement
Back