Robert Burns & Navaughn Donaldson

Advertisement
Heard he plays both ways full time, linebacker being his position on D. That could also have something to do with the injuries, as well as no O line.

Considering his future is likely related to whatever he pursues as a degree, staying at Gulliver sets him up better for college.

Gulliver didn't set up Dionte Mullins. They used his athletic talents for three years and left him an academic mess. That situation is embarrassing at a school with resources like Gulliver has. Their only job was to get him ready for college and they failed.

Burns should have transferred years ago. Gulliver is getting blown out by schools like Belen even with multiple FBS recruits on the roster. He needs a real line and legit competition to get ready for college football.

Burns should transfer to Central so he actually has a line

He's loyal to Gulliver.

STA has been trying to recruit him for years now.

Him, Dionte & Ced came close to transferring to Booker T when Callaway and Hardtime transferred there from Homestead. Burns was also considering Westminster.

Regarding Burns, that's refreshing to hear. Loyalty to ones teammates is seemingly rare these days in S. FL. A lot of the players down there are little more than mercenaries for programs to poach. Hopefully he'll have a healthy and productive season, living up to the potential some see in him.

Considering his future is likely related to whatever he pursues as a degree, staying at Gulliver sets him up better for college. It's just a statistics thing as the likelihood of someone making it to the NFL is low.

Normally I'd agree w you but he's great academically if I remember correctly and there is other local schools that he could potentially be an EE at, which greatly impacts his career projection at the next level on and off the field. This isn't possible at Gullover due to how his scholarship works. Also his OL has been straight *** and I'd have to believe his injury problems are at least stemming from that a bit.

Who says he wants to be an early entrant? It works for some, not so much for others. I don't understand the rush to leave high school early, but different strokes for different folks.

Are you implying that early enrollees have a higher chance of making it to the NFL? If so, do you have anything to support that? I have never read that, on a board or in an article.

People keep talking about his OL, we've had some ****** ones lately. I don't recall a rash of injuries from it. Injuries happen under all kinds of situations. Him getting hurt by people smaller than he'll face here, it can be dumb luck or a durability issue.

Advertisement
Considering his future is likely related to whatever he pursues as a degree, staying at Gulliver sets him up better for college.

Gulliver didn't set up Dionte Mullins. They used his athletic talents for three years and left him an academic mess. That situation is embarrassing at a school with resources like Gulliver has. Their only job was to get him ready for college and they failed.

Burns should have transferred years ago. Gulliver is getting blown out by schools like Belen even with multiple FBS recruits on the roster. He needs a real line and legit competition to get ready for college football.

At some point people have to be held accountable for their actions. I'm not going to put his lack of scholastic aptitude solely on the school. He was provided an opportunity to get a great education and failed to make the most of what was at his disposal. Maybe he worked his butt off and he's just not that bright. I can't say, but I'd guess you're reaching. Imagine how far behind he would be if he had gone to one of Dade counties finest schools....lol

Players come from all over. He's done enough so far (I'm not in that camp yet though since his durability is a colossal question mark for me) to garner a lot of top notch offers. Gulliver wasn't a giant in football when Taylor was there, he turned out pretty alright. Same with some others.

I do agree that good competition can raise ones game, but I don't think it's necessary for everyone.

I completely agree with this. My sister played softball at gulliver starting from 8th grade. Made first team all dade and state every year along with Miami dade hitter of the year. They won three straight state championships. The problem? My parents had to pay so much for tutors to help her get the score needed for college and thankfully they did. Other issue is they put her in small classes on a separate campus for her core classes on Miller 56st with other athletes. It was a joke she had like four kids in a class and didn't really learn. She was struggling to write papers and I had her start reading a lot and luckily she is doin awesome now. That school does not take care of its athletes!

My brother was an athlete at Gulliver. He flourished at Gulliver, graduated with honors from Vanderbilt then grad school at UM he now lives in Atlanta in Arthur Blank's neighborhood. Gulliver can't reach every kid and many athletes they admit are so far behind academicly they never catch up.

I completely agree with this. My sister played softball at gulliver starting from 8th grade. Made first team all dade and state every year along with Miami dade hitter of the year. They won three straight state championships. The problem? My parents had to pay so much for tutors to help her get the score needed for college and thankfully they did. Other issue is they put her in small classes on a separate campus for her core classes on Miller 56st with other athletes. It was a joke she had like four kids in a class and didn't really learn. She was struggling to write papers and I had her start reading a lot and luckily she is doin awesome now. That school does not take care of its athletes!

It sounds like your sister didn't apply herself or....well, I'll let you make your own conclusion. A five to one teacher ratio and she couldn't learn? You can't ask for more than that.

Advertisement
Burns should transfer to Central so he actually has a line

He's loyal to Gulliver.

Him, Dionte & Ced came close to transferring to Booker T when Callaway and Hardtime transferred there from Homestead. Burns was also considering Westminster.

Regarding Burns, that's refreshing to hear. Loyalty to ones teammates is seemingly rare these days in S. FL. A lot of the players down there are little more than mercenaries for programs to poach. Hopefully he'll have a healthy and productive season, living up to the potential some see in him.

Considering his future is likely related to whatever he pursues as a degree, staying at Gulliver sets him up better for college. It's just a statistics thing as the likelihood of someone making it to the NFL is low.

Normally I'd agree w you but he's great academically if I remember correctly and there is other local schools that he could potentially be an EE at, which greatly impacts his career projection at the next level on and off the field. This isn't possible at Gullover due to how his scholarship works. Also his OL has been straight *** and I'd have to believe his injury problems are at least stemming from that a bit.

Who says he wants to be an early entrant? It works for some, not so much for others. I don't understand the rush to leave high school early, but different strokes for different folks.

Are you implying that early enrollees have a higher chance of making it to the NFL? If so, do you have anything to support that? I have never read that, on a board or in an article.

People keep talking about his OL, we've had some ****** ones lately. I don't recall a rash of injuries from it. Injuries happen under all kinds of situations. Him getting hurt by people smaller than he'll face here, it can be dumb luck or a durability issue.

I didn't say he wanted to be an EE, simply that he would have the option should he decide that's the best route for his future. It's very rare for kids to not EE if they are able. It helps you tremendously to get a start in the S&C program as well as academically. The very few times I've seen people not EE when they could have was to remain around their friends and run track in the spring.

I won't say it gives you a better chance to get to the NFL, but there are definitely some pros to being an EE if the NFL is a goal for you. The jumpstart S&C gets you more prepared physically before you ever play a down, lessening the chance for injury. If you go pro early, you could still finish your degree by then in some cases bc you are ahead w credits, so you don't have to go back later and finish. Plus usually EEs play earlier in their careers, so for those that go pro early they have more film and experience than some others that don't EE but go pro in their draft year.

I understand it's not for everyone, but their are a lot of benefits to it.

I also get that injuries happen in a variety of ways, but I can't justify any argument stating him transferring to play better competition and behind a better OL would not be beneficial to him in the long-term

At some point people have to be held accountable for their actions. I'm not going to put his lack of scholastic aptitude solely on the school. He was provided an opportunity to get a great education and failed to make the most of what was at his disposal. Maybe he worked his butt off and he's just not that bright. I can't say, but I'd guess you're reaching. Imagine how far behind he would be if he had gone to one of Dade counties finest schools....lol

Players come from all over. He's done enough so far (I'm not in that camp yet though since his durability is a colossal question mark for me) to garner a lot of top notch offers. Gulliver wasn't a giant in football when Taylor was there, he turned out pretty alright. Same with some others.

I do agree that good competition can raise ones game, but I don't think it's necessary for everyone.

Didn't Sean Taylor get Gulliver a state championship?

I agree w the rest of your post regarding academics. At some point the kid is just as liable.

He came into Gulliver as the best youth player in South Florida. Everybody knew he was headed to the next level. That's the only reason they let him in. They knew the deal from jump street and they still let the kid fail.

Given the current status of his grades, it must have been apparent pretty quickly that he wasn't cutting it academically. If he wasn't trying, why did they let him play football for three years? If he wasn't smart enough to succeed there, why did they keep giving him a scholarship? If he just needed some help, they had more resources than any other school in the city to help him.

Instead, they used his athletic ability for three years in exchange for an "education" that he never got. Gulliver should be ashamed of themselves.

Dmoney
He was suspended his Sr. year and most of if not all his Jr year. He enrolled his soph year. Are you suggesting he should have been
suspended before he even took a class? He is lucky they didn't pull
his scholy

Advertisement
Dmoney
He was suspended his Sr. year and most of if not all his Jr year. He enrolled his soph year. Are you suggesting he should have been
suspended before he even took a class? He is lucky they didn't pull
his scholy

Again, DMoney doesn't want to hold the kid responsible as he should be. The lack of parental blame is also laughable. Perhaps he has a learning disability, who knows.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. I think this certainly applies here. I also imagine they did what they could to make him eligible, it just didn't work out.

You also act like it's rare for a school to use someone for their athletic ability. That's common as **** everywhere, just try and make sure they do enough to get by so they can play. It makes no sense to give someone a free education that costs the normal kids tens of thousands of dollars and once again, not is him. As the quoted poster said, it's nice they didn't cut him loose as is common practice.

Didn't Sean Taylor get Gulliver a state championship?

I agree w the rest of your post regarding academics. At some point the kid is just as liable.

Yes, they did and they had fellow Cane Buck Ortega as well. Still, that state championship was largely on the back of Taylor. He didn't have players around him pushing him, he was the bar with everyone else trying to get to his level.

He's loyal to Gulliver.

People keep talking about his OL, we've had some ****ty ones lately. I don't recall a rash of injuries from it. Injuries happen under all kinds of situations. Him getting hurt by people smaller than he'll face here, it can be dumb luck or a durability issue.

I didn't say he wanted to be an EE, simply that he would have the option should he decide that's the best route for his future. It's very rare for kids to not EE if they are able. It helps you tremendously to get a start in the S&C program as well as academically. The very few times I've seen people not EE when they could have was to remain around their friends and run track in the spring.

I won't say it gives you a better chance to get to the NFL, but there are definitely some pros to being an EE if the NFL is a goal for you. The jumpstart S&C gets you more prepared physically before you ever play a down, lessening the chance for injury. If you go pro early, you could still finish your degree by then in some cases bc you are ahead w credits, so you don't have to go back later and finish. Plus usually EEs play earlier in their careers, so for those that go pro early they have more film and experience than some others that don't EE but go pro in their draft year.

I understand it's not for everyone, but their are a lot of benefits to it.

I also get that injuries happen in a variety of ways, but I can't justify any argument stating him transferring to play better competition and behind a better OL would not be beneficial to him in the long-term

The very first thing you said, if he decided that was the best thing for his future. Apparently he decided it wasn't.

Again, do you have anything to back up the statement that it's rare for a recruit to not enroll early if they can? I sure as Heck don't know how many could do it if they put the work in.

Yes, the strength and conditioning, getting used to classes before the hard fall football grind begins, etc....can all help. I don't know that it means they'll play ahead of the summer entrants, probably a case by case basis.

There's plusses and minuses, I won't argue that. Every kid is different and you can't get back that second half of your last year of high school if you wanted. Some kids aren't even ready or mature in the fall, so again it depends on the kid.

Advertisement

He came into Gulliver as the best youth player in South Florida. Everybody knew he was headed to the next level. That's the only reason they let him in. They knew the deal from jump street and they still let the kid fail.

Given the current status of his grades, it must have been apparent pretty quickly that he wasn't cutting it academically. If he wasn't trying, why did they let him play football for three years? If he wasn't smart enough to succeed there, why did they keep giving him a scholarship? If he just needed some help, they had more resources than any other school in the city to help him.

Instead, they used his athletic ability for three years in exchange for an "education" that he never got. Gulliver should be ashamed of themselves.

Seems like you're acting like Gulliver is purposefully teaching athletes less than other students. The fact is, regardless what school you go to, if a student tries, they can get a b- average gpa and a passing ACT grade to clear with the NCAA.

Again, DMoney doesn't want to hold the kid responsible as he should be. The lack of parental blame is also laughable. Perhaps he has a learning disability, who knows.

If they couldn't do anything to help him, either because of effort or aptitude, they should have cut him loose. Or they should have never taken him.

Gulliver has tons of test prep resources and even has a separate school for academically challenged kids. There were a million things they could've done to get this kid qualified. But they didn't.

When you sell a kid on education, and he can't even outperform a kid from Edison like Robert Knowles, you have failed to deliver your end of the bargain.

Burns is visiting ND again and taking his mom with him,they seem to be all over him.

Wasn't Robert Burns the first player on campus almost as soon as Richt was hired taking pictures with him? He must like Richt or been excited. Thomas Brown has already coached Melvin Gordon and Nick Chubb. Baez and 3 of his former teammates are here, Miami is known for pumping RBs into the league, and so is Mark Richt. I honestly can't say I know of any good backs in the NFL from ND.

Would be really dumb on Burns part to flip to ND. If Richt wants him, he's coming.

If they couldn't do anything to help him, either because of effort or aptitude, they should have cut him loose. Or they should have never taken him.

Gulliver has tons of test prep resources and even has a separate school for academically challenged kids. There were a million things they could've done to get this kid qualified. But they didn't.

When you sell a kid on education, and he can't even outperform a kid from Edison like Robert Knowles, you have failed to deliver your end of the bargain.

It's obvious that you want to stick this on Gulliver, so have at it. You then then toss a player who did get in under the bus like you know the facts as if you're their academic counselors. Shame

I think they did the right thing by standing by him.

Advertisement
Back