RIP to the great Schnelly

Advertisement
RIP to an absolute legend. Might not be a popular opinion, but I think he meant more for football in South Florida than even Shula when you stack up his legacies.

Anyone remember that in the 80s there was a phone number you could call to get the time-hard to believe now. Howard’s distinctive voice would announce “UM time” followed by the time. Always thought it was a brilliant PR idea.
PH# is still there, 305-324-8811, just with a law firm ad instead of Schnelly’s voice. You could probably pay for an ad with his voice as a homage, if someone was so inclined

To Coach Schnelly.

Screenshot_20210327-115033_Meme Generator PRO.jpg

Advertisement
Two of the greatest quotes in college football history:

"Miami will win a national title before Florida wins the SEC." Fran Curci....CHECK
"Miami will win the national title in 5 years." Howard Schnellenberger....CHECK

Lou Saban turned the battleship. Howard made it into a juggernaut. I defy anybody to find an individual with a better pedigree. All-American football player at Kentucky. Coached for Blanton Collier (Kentucky), Bear Bryant, George Allen (Rams) and Don Shula. Two national titles as an OC; great run with the Rams; undefeated season with the Fins; national title at Miami; resurrected a dead program at Louisville; started the FAU program.

Rest in Peace Coach...thanks for the memories!

Advertisement
RIP Coach Schnellenberger. So many memories and thank you for setting the stage for one of the greatest college football dynasties there ever was. Over the past year, Shula and now Schnellenberger have passed...2 icons of Miami football.

Two of the greatest quotes in college football history:

"Miami will win a national title before Florida wins the SEC." Fran Curci....CHECK
"Miami will win the national title in 5 years." Howard Schnellenberger....CHECK

Lou Saban turned the battleship. Howard made it into a juggernaut. I defy anybody to find an individual with a better pedigree. All-American football player at Kentucky. Coached for Blanton Collier (Kentucky), Bear Bryant, George Allen (Rams) and Don Shula. Two national titles as an OC; great run with the Rams; undefeated season with the Fins; national title at Miami; resurrected a dead program at Louisville; started the FAU program.

Rest in Peace Coach...thanks for the memories!
Hard to top this post.

All I can say is he brought the swag before swag was cool in College football.
And his team emulated it along with many teams after.

RIP

Advertisement
His influence and impact to the U is truly immeasurable. The whole U dynasty would never exist without his blueprint.

Advertisement
None of us are here if it weren’t for Howard.
Indeed. He impregnated all of our moms.

In what could be ominous foreshadowing for the magical season that will be 2021, I noticed the first two digits of his overall record as a college HC.

RIP to an absolute masterful promoter. He took the base Lou Saban poured and continued it beautifully for a few years. Restore the pipe.

Serious debate.
Would UM have been better served with Schnelly staying instead of going to the USFL, or was UM better served with Schnelly leaving and JJ coming in? I’m only asking about the JJ years, not beyond which basically requires that you pick between the 2 of them for the years 84-88.

I will give my position after a few responses but this maybe like choosing between Coke and Pepsi which is more about the flavor you prefer as opposed to an absolute right and wrong answer.

Advertisement
Back