RIP to the great Schnelly

Advertisement
Ironic this KY boy stepped foot in Coral Gables for the first time today. I’ll consider this my pilgrimage to The Godfather of this program. RIP Coach...not bad for a hard-knock KY boy:emot-crown:

I will never forget Schnellenberger telling folks he was going to bring a national championship to Miami.

After suffering through so many losing seasons Howard brought real joy to my heart when I was in my twenties. When the Canes beat Penn State I think in 1979 I was running around screaming like a little kid and I was with my friends from college in the midwest. And kicking Notre Dame's butt for the first time was sweet too. And he proved to be a genius when he created the "U" moniker. Yes young folks Howard invented that idea and in reality he created the brand and now when anybody says the U you know what they are talking about.

A daggone football game shouldn't have that much affect on a person, but when the Canes won that championship after Howard said they would, it was one of the happy moment and I was so proud to say to folks here in Minneapolis that I was from MIAMI. He had such a presence I felt like I knew that dude. He was the real OG and he was really respected in our hood, he could walk down the street at night and folks would invite him in for a bite.

Silly me I thought he was going to live forever. I bet he will live in the hearts for a long time of the OG's on this board who followed the Canes in Howards day and before.

Rest in Power big Brother you resusitated not just a football program and a University, but a whole damned city!!!

Advertisement
Oh and on the debate about how the U would have fared had Schnellenberger stayed is a bit apples and oranges. But I will say that if he had gotten the Canes into championship games he would likely have had more success than Jimmy or Erickson because Howard was a big game hunter. He lived for the big game and his team was almost always up for the big game. The only exception was the Florida game opening the 83 season when Bernie Kosar starting his first game wasn't quite ready for prime time. But Howard had him ready for that championship game against Nebraska.

R.I.P to The Architect. Smh. How he’s not in the College Football HOF is beyond me. Always wish I had the opportunity to grow up w/ him as our coach....always had to admire him from a distance, but admire him I did. He laid the blue print, not just for his successors, but for the entire landscape of CFB.

Advertisement
I will never forget Schnellenberger telling folks he was going to bring a national championship to Miami.

After suffering through so many losing seasons Howard brought real joy to my heart when I was in my twenties. When the Canes beat Penn State I think in 1979 I was running around screaming like a little kid and I was with my friends from college in the midwest. And kicking Notre Dame's butt for the first time was sweet too. And he proved to be a genius when he created the "U" moniker. Yes young folks Howard invented that idea and in reality he created the brand and now when anybody says the U you know what they are talking about.

A daggone football game shouldn't have that much affect on a person, but when the Canes won that championship after Howard said they would, it was one of the happy moment and I was so proud to say to folks here in Minneapolis that I was from MIAMI. He had such a presence I felt like I knew that dude. He was the real OG and he was really respected in our hood, he could walk down the street at night and folks would invite him in for a bite.

Silly me I thought he was going to live forever. I bet he will live in the hearts for a long time of the OG's on this board who followed the Canes in Howards day and before.

Rest in Power big Brother you resusitated not just a football program and a University, but a whole damned city!!!
We too enjoyed telling our Minnesota friends about Miami football. Driving back up there we had our score versus Texas on the back windshield.

Neighbor used to tell me it wasn't fair Miami beats teams like they do... I said no worries man your gophers will some day lay it on Illinios or Northwestern...

High school football up there pretty fun though and nephew did get a state championship.

We do those “how old are you/how long have you been a Cane” threads a lot around here.

I see a TON of you are in your twenties or teens. A TON became a Cane in the late 90s or early 2000s. That’s totally fine, you’re as much a part of the family as anyone else.

But it’s a weekend. You ain’t got **** to do. I IMPLORE you as a fan of this program to research Howard Schnellenberger. Watch old videos and games.

Because I say this with absolute certainty: you are NOT the Cane you are today without Howard Schnellenberger. None of us are. RIP to the REAL OG. If you’re a die-hard, and you’re a little unsure of what he did or who he was, please do yourself a service and read up. He IS Miami Hurricanes football.

Rest easy, Coach.
He was the Carlo Gambino of the Miami Hurricanes.

Advertisement
Serious debate.
Would UM have been better served with Schnelly staying instead of going to the USFL, or was UM better served with Schnelly leaving and JJ coming in? I’m only asking about the JJ years, not beyond which basically requires that you pick between the 2 of them for the years 84-88.

I will give my position after a few responses but this maybe like choosing between Coke and Pepsi which is more about the flavor you prefer as opposed to an absolute right and wrong answer.
If Schnelly had never left...

In 1994 the NCAA would reduce scholarships to 22 following the Canes winning their 10th championship in a row.

Serious debate.
Would UM have been better served with Schnelly staying instead of going to the USFL, or was UM better served with Schnelly leaving and JJ coming in? I’m only asking about the JJ years, not beyond which basically requires that you pick between the 2 of them for the years 84-88.

I will give my position after a few responses but this maybe like choosing between Coke and Pepsi which is more about the flavor you prefer as opposed to an absolute right and wrong answer.
Kinda like arguing Godfather vs. Godfather II.

I can't imagine Canes lore w/o Jimmy, but without Schnelly there is no Jimmy. Glad we had the good fortune to have them both, and I'm certain Schnelly would have multiple rings had he stayed. When you step back and think about it, we were a spoiled fanbase in the 80's.

Advertisement
R.I.P to The Architect. Smh. How he’s not in the College Football HOF is beyond me. Always wish I had the opportunity to grow up w/ him as our coach....always had to admire him from a distance, but admire him I did. He laid the blue print, not just for his successors, but for the entire landscape of CFB.
Schnellenberger doesn't meet the current requirement of winning 60 percent of his games. As for the question of Jimmy or Howard... Howard was 6-0 in bowl games. Howard would never ever have been out coached by anyone. It’s an easy answer for me.

Advertisement
Back