RIP Don Shula

Best coach of all time.

Belichick made the playoffs 1 out of 7 times without Brady. Shula went undefeated with the backup.

To be fair, he arguably had the best backup QB to ever play in Earl Morrall, who did the same thing with the Colts leading to Superbowl III.

He later became a QB coach of some distinction at a small school in the early 1980's and developed some excellent pro prospects.

Advertisement
Thought we had a shot with that '92 team that went to the AFC Championship. Then got excited when we went on that free agency spending spree. I never fully felt the depths of loyalty to Shula like my father's generation seemed to, but heard all the stories of the 70s and people's interactions with him in the 80s. Incredible thing about him is everyone who knew him personally said he was a better man than a coach.

RIP Coach. The only coach I know, that pulled off an onside punt! Think Guy Benjamin was the punter? After a safety you can kick or punt. He punted and the punt was an onside one. In this scenario it’s live after 10 yards like a kick.

Advertisement
RIP Coach. The only coach I know, that pulled off an onside punt! Think Guy Benjamin was the punter? After a safety you can kick or punt. He punted and the punt was an onside one. In this scenario it’s live after 10 yards like a kick.
Zach Fecals was a big fan too because all his punts looked like onside punts. But some didn't even make it the required 10 yards.

Shula is the GOAT. 7 years in Baltimore 71-23. 1st 7 years at Miami 73-24(including a 6-8 season. A lot of tough losses. That Chargers game in '95 up 21-6 at the half and natron means running the ball and moving the chains keeping marino on the bench. Defense couldn't get off the field. 22-21 with a stoyonovich missed 48yrd fg attempt with seconds remaining. Following week Chargers beat Steelers at Pittsburgh and go to the SB against the 49ers.

I was at that game in the OB vs Bengals. 1980.
Punter was George Roberts. Left footed.

We had just been tackled for a safety and were down 2 scores late in the fourth.

Game was over. I didn’t even know at that time that you could onside a punt off a safety.
But of course Shula did.

We recovered, drove for a TD, stopped them on D and drove for the winning FG at the end.

Typical Shula. Just when things seemed lost, he always found a way.

RIP Coach! A true legend.

I was at that game in the OB vs Bengals. 1980.
Punter was George Roberts. Left footed.

We had just been tackled for a safety and were down 2 scores late in the fourth.

Game was over. I didn’t even know at that time that you could onside a punt off a safety.
But of course Shula did.

We recovered, drove for a TD, stopped them on D and drove for the winning FG at the end.

Typical Shula. Just when things seemed lost, he always found a way.

RIP Coach! A true legend.
Awesome, thanks for filling in the blanks! That would have been an amazing game to be at. He did always find a way.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Screenshot_20200504-135418_Twitter.jpg

Dude could rock a pair of Blublockers with the best of em too.

Screenshot_20200504-185641_Google.jpg

Advertisement
To be fair, he arguably had the best backup QB to ever play in Earl Morrall, who did the same thing with the Colts leading to Superbowl III.

He later became a QB coach of some distinction at a small school in the early 1980's and developed some excellent pro prospects.
Also lucky for that small school, Shula had an OC named Schnellenberger that liked the area!

Advertisement
Back