Rick: "very optimistic on OL play" + WQAM recap 8/28

Dan Sileo JR

Band
Banned
Richt on Radio: Miami coach’s comments open Bethune-Cookman week | Canes Watch

All credit to Matt Porter and the PB Post above ^^

* Richt seemed to confirm rising star wideout Ahmmon Richards (hamstring) will miss Saturday’s season-opener against Bethune-Cookman (12:30 p.m., ACC regional networks). The first three wideouts on the field against Bethune-Cookman: Mike Harley replacing Richards at flanker, Braxton Berrios in the slot, Lawrence Cager the X. Richt said Cager would be the flanker, and Richards the X, if Richards was healthy.

* Berrios (groin) is “fine.” He was held out of practice one day as a precaution.

* Quarterback Malik Rosier “wasn’t quite as sharp” the first couple days after learning he would be the starter. But in Sunday’s practice, UM’s first “under the lights,” players were “throwing and catching like all those guys were in high school. It was fun to watch.”

* “Every scholarship guy should play a good bit” in UM’s FCS opener. Playing a lot of guys is “great for morale, great for the health of your team.”

* Running back Mark Walton practiced the day after he was held out of UM’s scrimmage with a bruised hip. “Not a problem,” Richt said. “That’s long been gone.”

* Part of cornerback Michael Jackson‘s rise to starter level was young players pushing him. “That definitely was a factor,” Richt said. “Everybody’s game rose to another level” with Dee Delaney, Jhavonte Dean and Trajan Bandy coming in. Such competition has helped “across the board.”

* Linebacker Mike Smith‘s rise to starter level? “Mike got in shape,” Richt said. “He’s like, OK, I’m going to get my body fat down, I’m going to get strong … he’s a different player. It’s amazing how he looks now and how he’s been performing.”

* Punter Jack Spicer “punted so much better than he did in the spring” with freshman Zach Feagles on board. Feagles is the expected starter, but UM hasn’t named one.

* Freshman defensive tackle Jon Ford gave Richt “one of the happiest days” of camp when he qualified. “You couldn’t tell he didn’t have his pads on” when he arrived late and went through the five-day acclimation period. “He’s like 318 pounds,” Richt said. “Maybe a tad heavy, but he looks good.” Ford is listed at 6-5, 275. He was 245 when Richt offered him last year.

* Richt said defensive linemen Jon Garvin, DJ Johnson and Ford could be “high draft picks” eventually. They were on UM’s scout team in the last scrimmage.

* High expectations for Miami? “I’m used to that,” Richt said. “Everywhere I’ve been, every one of those places had high expectations. I want a fanbase that’s excited for the season. … We need people in the stands cheering these guys on.”

* Linebacker Shaq Quarterman over the last month: “I don’t know if I want to use this word, but he’s possessed to be great and to help Miami be great. He is so locked in about not just being good or being the starter. He just wants to be great as a human being and a football player. He wants this team to be great. He’s not going to rest until we’re champions. He’s the kind of guy that you dream about.”

* On South Florida recruiting: “We’ve got to prove to everybody we’re a serious contender to be great. … If they feel like they can get that at home, they might not travel here there or wherever.”

* Richt spotlighted Mike Harley (“This guy loves football, man”) and Trajan Bandy as undersized, speedy local recruits Miami is happy to keep home. “Those are the kind of kids we’ve got to get here, that have a passion for this place, that have a passion for football, and want to be a champion.”

* On freshman redshirting: “Most every single guy” will play, except for “some guys who are coming off injuries” — freshman offensive lineman Zalon’tae Hillery is one. Richt said most players don’t stay five years nowadays anyway, so why not play them.

* One area of improvement: “I’m very optimistic about our offensive line play compared to a year ago,” Richt said. “I know we’re better. I hope we play better because we’ve been practicing better. If we get that going, it helps everything else go.”

Advertisement
So Richards is staying at split end. Cager must look pretty good to be the starting flanker.

Say it again - Jon Garvin, DJ Johnson, and Jon Ford ON THE SCOUT TEAM. Jesus that's ridiculous.

Advertisement
The difference in QB and RB stats from spring scrimmages to fall scrimmages tells A LOT about the improved OL play in my opinion.

Sounds like we can expect to see Perry, Burns, Polendey, Dykstra out there against Bethune.

Advertisement
* Quarterback Malik Rosier “wasn’t quite as sharp” the first couple days after learning he would be the starter. But in Sunday’s practice, UM’s first “under the lights,” players were “throwing and catching like all those guys were in high school. It was fun to watch.””

That stood out. Hope it's just a blip.

* Quarterback Malik Rosier “wasn’t quite as sharp” the first couple days after learning he would be the starter. But in Sunday’s practice, UM’s first “under the lights,” players were “throwing and catching like all those guys were in high school. It was fun to watch.””

Eh, not terribly surprising. Probably just the initial jitters of being named "the guy". Obviously it wore off as Richt stated he was much better Sunday.

Advertisement

Richt also said that his play wasn't horrible, and he was still the obvious choice as the starter. Joe specifically asked how Rosier looked after finding out he was starting, so it wasn't a comment Richt offered up unsolicited. To me Mark sounded like a guy who was confident in his QB. More so than last fall to be honest. My biggest take away from the inverview was Mark's confidence in the starting o-line. He thinks they are ready to go to war (my words). Straight up said they are far better than last year based on practice, and believes they will be better when the lights are on too.

Last edited:

Almost all available data suggests that Rosier's likely to be an average to slightly below average P5 quarterback. Probably ought to expect stuff like that and hope that there's major improvement or that the rest of the team is good enough to carry us.

The Oline play basically kept us from being 12-1. V Tech kicked our butts so I will take that loss. Every other game was essentially lost because of the offensive line.

Poor line play made us one dimensional

Advertisement
“I don’t know if I want to use this word, but he’s possessed to be great and to help Miami be great. He is so locked in about not just being good or being the starter. He just wants to be great as a human being and a football player. He wants this team to be great. He’s not going to rest until we’re champions. He’s the kind of guy that you dream about.”

Can't get much higher praise than that. Love having Shaq as a leader on the defense.

“I don’t know if I want to use this word, but he’s possessed to be great and to help Miami be great. He is so locked in about not just being good or being the starter. He just wants to be great as a human being and a football player. He wants this team to be great. He’s not going to rest until we’re champions. He’s the kind of guy that you dream about.”

Can't get much higher praise than that. Love having Shaq as a leader on the defense.

Shaq is "that guy" truely a great cane.

Say it again - Jon Garvin, DJ Johnson, and Jon Ford ON THE SCOUT TEAM. Jesus that's ridiculous.

Said it last week.... I think our scout team D-line is the best we've seen since the JJ days. Hard to believe we are so deep there.

Love CMR. No planting excuses for future potential issues. No dumb sayings or slogans. Just straight forward honesty and a lot of confidence. Go Canes!

Advertisement
Back