Rick: "very optimistic on OL play" + WQAM recap 8/28

* Quarterback Malik Rosier “wasn’t quite as sharp” the first couple days after learning he would be the starter. But in Sunday’s practice, UM’s first “under the lights,” players were “throwing and catching like all those guys were in high school. It was fun to watch.””

That stood out. Hope it's just a blip.

Almost all available data suggests that Rosier's likely to be an average to slightly below average P5 quarterback. Probably ought to expect stuff like that and hope that there's major improvement or that the rest of the team is good enough to carry us.

what is all this "available data"?

I'm not one of the people on this board that likes to be negative towards our kids and I've been one of the most vocal Cane supporters on these sites for 2 decades now, but here's what we know about Malik since you asked.

He was lightly recruited out of high school.
In 3 years he's barely played here.
In his redshirt Junior year he couldn't definitively win the QB battle in the spring over another guy who had no major offers in Evan Shirreffs.
The coaching staff seemed to wait until the last possible second for a true freshman to come in and beat him out and it just didn't happen.
Richt flat out told the kid that a year ago after seeing him he didn't think he'd ever play for him according to Malik himself.
His career stats are 31-61, 3 INTs 2 TDs.

Any one of those things is potentially insignificant, but all of them together probably suggests that he's a guy who is our quarterback because we don't have anyone else who's ready to be the guy. I'm sure there are some exceptions in CFB history, but most folks with that resume just are what they are - which is the best that we have, so I'm rooting for him. If he can come in and be average, we will win 10+ games.

Advertisement
Say it again - Jon Garvin, DJ Johnson, and Jon Ford ON THE SCOUT TEAM. Jesus that's ridiculous.

Good.

That means our starting OL is getting WORK every day and not just going up against me as preparation for big time college football...

* Quarterback Malik Rosier “wasn’t quite as sharp” the first couple days after learning he would be the starter. But in Sunday’s practice, UM’s first “under the lights,” players were “throwing and catching like all those guys were in high school. It was fun to watch.””

Almost all available data suggests that Rosier's likely to be an average to slightly below average P5 quarterback. Probably ought to expect stuff like that and hope that there's major improvement or that the rest of the team is good enough to carry us.

what is all this "available data"?

I'm not one of the people on this board that likes to be negative towards our kids and I've been one of the most vocal Cane supporters on these sites for 2 decades now, but here's what we know about Malik since you asked.

He was lightly recruited out of high school.
In 3 years he's barely played here.
In his redshirt Junior year he couldn't definitively win the QB battle in the spring over another guy who had no major offers in Evan Shirreffs.
The coaching staff seemed to wait until the last possible second for a true freshman to come in and beat him out and it just didn't happen.
Richt flat out told the kid that a year ago after seeing him he didn't think he'd ever play for him according to Malik himself.
His career stats are 31-61, 3 INTs 2 TDs.

Any one of those things is potentially insignificant, but all of them together probably suggests that he's a guy who is our quarterback because we don't have anyone else who's ready to be the guy. I'm sure there are some exceptions in CFB history, but most folks with that resume just are what they are - which is the best that we have, so I'm rooting for him. If he can come in and be average, we will win 10+ games.

Prepare to be surprised. Rosier is going to play very well this year, and I think he's going to be one of the best QB's in the ACC.

I can't wait to bump all of these negative Rosier post come December/January.

Prepare to be surprised. Rosier is going to play very well this year, and I think he's going to be one of the best QB's in the ACC.

I can't wait to bump all of these negative Rosier post come December/January.

I'll be freaking stoked. I want Malik to come in and win the **** Heisman. He's our guy.

Advertisement
So Richards is staying at split end. Cager must look pretty good to be the starting flanker.

guess he's not a transfer candidate anymore

Not at the moment.

But if he slips up or gets injured again and these other guys capitalize it could be the end, which is 100% in line with what I've said about him from the very beginning. So don't take this personally but **** you.

If 'If' was a 5th we'd all be drunk.

Two deep OLine ain't got me brimming wit optimism. Hope dem young uns got dat dog in em.

Nah, your "available data" can't account for the skill talent, improved Oline, and dual threat ability Rosier has. The synergy of those variables with Malik's poise and intangibles **** on your "available data".

Last edited:
Richt on Radio: Miami coach’s comments open Bethune-Cookman week | Canes Watch

* On freshman redshirting: “Most every single guy” will play, except for “some guys who are coming off injuries” — freshman offensive lineman Zalon’tae Hillery is one. Richt said most players don’t stay five years nowadays anyway, so why not play them.

Smart outlook. Play them if they can contribute. Most guys leave after 3 regardless

Real speak: You can always take a redshirt in year 3 at another school or go I-AA.

Advertisement

20-29, 272yds, 2TD, 1INT

Boy, I sure like how people bash Rosier for having a poor performance against the CFP runner-up team that was basically Alabama's equal.

Nah, your "available data" can't account for the skill talent, improved Oline, and dual threat ability Rosier has. The synergy of those variables with Malik's poise and intangibles **** on your "available data".

We'll see! Hope you're right. Everything I wrote was accurate, but perhaps he's about to break out and become a star.

Advertisement
Back