Richt's Committed to Building the Program the Right Way

Advertisement
I love how people are trying to compare a coach who had multiple 10 win seasons in a P5 conference within the last 5 years to:

Al Golden who never coached P5, and never won 10 games even in the MAC
Randy Shannon, who was never a head coach prior, and had too low of a budget to hire a decent OC.

Establishing the running game and having a power rushing offense to fall back on are great for the long term prospects of the program. In the short term, the smart thing would have been to adjust your game plan to better fit the personnel you have on hand. You can build for the future without sacrificing the present.

Does the "Right Way" include numerous losses? How exactly does that help recruiting?

I'm sure they don't go in saying we're going to run no matter what . . . but i'm sure they say, running is who we want to be and we have to execute. we're not gonna gimmick people, we're going to line up execute and run the football and our offense.

now can the players execute consistently, thus far no, but the culture is being built. no gimmicks, line up, be physical, execute and win

good coaches think learn term, not immediate fan pleasing

Aside from thinking learn term, do great coaches not want to win in the short term as well?

of course they want to win, but i doubt it's at the expensive of creating the identity of the program.

program re-building is for grownups if it's done right. you'll have your elite coaches who turn it around immediately, but with most you have to establish a culture. every coach knows that, now can you put it out on the field and will players believe in it . . . fans will come and go, so you can't bend your culture to appease them . . . my point is he has a resume, he's legit, so why not believe if given time, he can't establish a physical culture here

Culture!

That's been the buzz word for every new coach we have had. In reality, good coaches win football games especially vs less talented opponents. Miracles that Fuente can win, run circles around Richt with the losing "culture" VTech has had lately.

Does the "Right Way" include numerous losses? How exactly does that help recruiting?

I'm sure they don't go in saying we're going to run no matter what . . . but i'm sure they say, running is who we want to be and we have to execute. we're not gonna gimmick people, we're going to line up execute and run the football and our offense.

now can the players execute consistently, thus far no, but the culture is being built. no gimmicks, line up, be physical, execute and win

good coaches think long term, not immediate fan pleasing

Why out coach the opponent, just hope you can recruit and develop enough talent where your archaic scheme can beat them anyway.

Advertisement

Why out coach the opponent, just hope you can recruit and develop enough talent where your archaic scheme can beat them anyway.

That's the Nick Saban way!

Competing with Bama/Saban in this manner is beyond dumb. Ask Les Miles.

Richt emphasized team speed when he took the job. He wanted zone blocking with smaller faster linemen and defense that was also focused on fast, athletic players. Golden wanted a Big 10 team with big road grader type OL and a heavy 3-4 defense (if you were a 250 DE, he wanted you at 290). Golden and Richt had opposite philosophies on what Miami should look like. From the beginning many of us were skeptical about Golden's approach (3-4?!). Richt will have a much easier time building the team he wants because it's what the area produces. Problem is that he has entirely the wrong body types for much of what he wants to do. This is a fact, not an excuse. S&C coach has to do quite a makeover with some of our marshmallows.

their scheme is not archaic . . . but it's built around physicality and running the football

Advertisement

their scheme is not archaic . . . but it's built around physicality and running the football

Saban can run whatever he wants also. Those guys just hand pick players. Even if he recruits well Richt won't be on that level.

good coaches think learn term, not immediate fan pleasing

Aside from thinking learn term, do great coaches not want to win in the short term as well?

of course they want to win, but i doubt it's at the expensive of creating the identity of the program.

program re-building is for grownups if it's done right. you'll have your elite coaches who turn it around immediately, but with most you have to establish a culture. every coach knows that, now can you put it out on the field and will players believe in it . . . fans will come and go, so you can't bend your culture to appease them . . . my point is he has a resume, he's legit, so why not believe if given time, he can't establish a physical culture here

Culture!

That's been the buzz word for every new coach we have had. In reality, good coaches win football games especially vs less talented opponents. Miracles that Fuente can win, run circles around Richt with the losing "culture" VTech has had lately.

It was time for a change at VT, because Beamer had 5 straight years of 7-8 win teams. But before that, he had 8 straight years on 10+ win seasons. Over the past 12 years, it's not even close to being a discussion about who has the better program.

During their last 5 years, they've come down to our level of mediocrity.

And even in them being mediocre, they still found a way to beat a national title winning Ohio State team.

Who have we beaten in the past 12 years that comes close to that level?

VT is a better program, today, than Miami. And VT has a better QB, that fits their system, than Miami has. That's why Fuente looks better, IMO.

Maybe Fuente winds up being better. But 8 games isn't a good enough sample size to make any definitive declarations, IMO.

Advertisement
After watching the last few games it's obvious that Richt will not abandon the run . . . And he shouldn't. When he arrived he said that he would have a tough and physical team. Well, unfortunately our personnel does not fit that mold this year, however it doesn't mean you change the corner stone of what your program is going to be.

I was watching an interview with Ryan Anderson a linebacker from Alabama about the upcoming game against LSU and he kept alluding to physical, smash mouth, and running the ball.

Everyone seems to want to Richt to abandon his principle and open it up, however it's a reason Oregon, Washington, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, and all those other spread em out teams haven't won. It's because win you get to elite bowl games, the ground game and elite defense win. So unlike most, I'll take the losses if it helps create a culture of who we're going to be in the future. Line it up and run, make it clear that this is going to be who we are . . . we'll struggle this year, and maybe next year too, but when we get a total culture shift and we become that physical run the ball team on the field, i think we'll reflect back to this time and understand the its importance.

Anti-spread talk is hilarious.

1. Conviently leave out Ohio St, UF with Meyer, Auburn with Cam
2. You can be a physical team in a spread offense.
3. Use Oregon as an example that it doesn't work.

Etc etc etc

come on yall, no one said you couldn't run from the spread, ive said in previous posts we need to be more imaginative with our formations. i think he runs 12 personnel because of our TE's, but we still need more imagination

but name me a team that has won elite bowls running spread and throwing it 50-60 times a game consistently??

my original post speaks to running the ball . . . it didn't speak to not spreading teams to to do it

Who is advocating the Mumme Air Raid offense? You're fighting ghosts.

We all think it's good to be able to run the ball. But to run it just to run it is stupid. You don't have to be balanced to win. You'd like to be, but you don't have to be.

We weren't winning a NC this year anyway. So it'd be smart to do what it takes THIS YEAR to beat the mediocre teams on our schedule and have a 10 win season.

That's nice.

Win games.

Get it done.

After watching the last few games it's obvious that Richt will not abandon the run . . . And he shouldn't. When he arrived he said that he would have a tough and physical team. Well, unfortunately our personnel does not fit that mold this year, however it doesn't mean you change the corner stone of what your program is going to be.

I was watching an interview with Ryan Anderson a linebacker from Alabama about the upcoming game against LSU and he kept alluding to physical, smash mouth, and running the ball.

Everyone seems to want to Richt to abandon his principle and open it up, however it's a reason Oregon, Washington, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, and all those other spread em out teams haven't won. It's because win you get to elite bowl games, the ground game and elite defense win. So unlike most, I'll take the losses if it helps create a culture of who we're going to be in the future. Line it up and run, make it clear that this is going to be who we are . . . we'll struggle this year, and maybe next year too, but when we get a total culture shift and we become that physical run the ball team on the field, i think we'll reflect back to this time and understand the its importance.

Advertisement

This

I would agree, but the team is already better than Al Golden's teams. Do you really think our record would be better with Golden??

Unlike our predecessor, Richt has pedigree you can't deny. He's not Saban or Harbough, but he's good. Our team is already tougher, we're just not good enough . . . yet I know Golden has scarred alot of you, but this is the real deal . . .

The team is not better. You are what your record says you are.

In regard to toughness, we heard the exact same talk going from Shannon to Golden. Getting bigger, U tough etc. it's de ja vu. Amazing.

What do you attribute our losses to?

Gee that sounds EXACTLY like what the Sunshine brigade here was saying about Golden 4-5 years ago

... Says the man who had a profile pic of Golden's face photoshopped onto Uncle Sam until about 18 months ago. Don't pretend that you're any better than the rest of us.

The fact that we keep having threads like this is a sure sign we have a corch.

Nope, just immature fans. "But I want my play doll nowwwwww!!!"

If by "now" you mean the same fans who have seen absolutely terrible football played by the Miami Hurricanes for at least 12 years straight.

Well, they may have been immature in 2004, but they've matured in those years and have every right to be doubting this coaching squad.

Advertisement
Back