Richt's Committed to Building the Program the Right Way

ageezy

Cane til I Die
After watching the last few games it's obvious that Richt will not abandon the run . . . And he shouldn't. When he arrived he said that he would have a tough and physical team. Well, unfortunately our personnel does not fit that mold this year, however it doesn't mean you change the corner stone of what your program is going to be.

I was watching an interview with Ryan Anderson a linebacker from Alabama about the upcoming game against LSU and he kept alluding to physical, smash mouth, and running the ball.

Everyone seems to want to Richt to abandon his principle and open it up, however it's a reason Oregon, Washington, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, and all those other spread em out teams haven't won. It's because win you get to elite bowl games, the ground game and elite defense win. So unlike most, I'll take the losses if it helps create a culture of who we're going to be in the future. Line it up and run, make it clear that this is going to be who we are . . . we'll struggle this year, and maybe next year too, but when we get a total culture shift and we become that physical run the ball team on the field, i think we'll reflect back to this time and understand the its importance.

Advertisement
Gee that sounds EXACTLY like what the excuse makers were around here saying about Golden 4-5 years ago

So are we to judge Richt right away with what he been able to do with a roster littered with Golden left-overs? I'll be the first to agree that his play-calling has been down right atrocious for much of the season but I am also willing to be patient enough to realize this wasn't a quick turn around project.

Gee that sounds EXACTLY like what the excuse makers were around here saying about Golden 4-5 years ago

So are we to judge Richt right away with what he been able to do with a roster littered with Golden left-overs? I'll be the first to agree that his play-calling has been down right atrocious for much of the season but I am also willing to be patient enough to realize this wasn't a quick turn around project.

Substitute Golden for Richt and Shannon for Golden and we're in 2011 again.

Not saying CMR is another Golden, but excuses are excuses.

Advertisement

I agree with you there but wouldn't you agree that excuses are a little different in year 1 with no offensive line versus year 4 when you have a roster that you built.

I'm not giving Richt a pass on the play-calling, it's been bad, but am willing to let him recruit for an entire cycle to see what he can bring in and restock the talent.

+1

Richt is obviously better than Golden. It's just hilarious the short memory around here.

I guarantee you can find the same post verbatim about Golden somewhere in archives

I would agree, but the team is already better than Al Golden's teams. Do you really think our record would be better with Golden??

Unlike our predecessor, Richt has pedigree you can't deny. He's not Saban or Harbough, but he's good. Our team is already tougher, we're just not good enough . . . yet I know Golden has scarred alot of you, but this is the real deal . . .

I agree with you there but wouldn't you agree that excuses are a little different in year 1 with no offensive line versus year 4 when you have a roster that you built.

I'm not giving Richt a pass on the play-calling, it's been bad, but am willing to let him recruit for an entire cycle to see what he can bring in and restock the talent.

Golden took over for a failed coach and inherited a roster with some strengths and some weaknesses. CMR took over for a failed coach and inherited a roster with some strengths and some weaknesses. Big picture, I don't see much difference.

Advertisement
I would agree, but the team is already better than Al Golden's teams. Do you really think our record would be better with Golden??

Unlike our predecessor, Richt has pedigree you can't deny. He's not Saban or Harbough, but he's good. Our team is already tougher, we're just not good enough . . . yet I know Golden has scarred alot of you, but this is the real deal . . .

The team is not better. You are what your record says you are.

In regard to toughness, we heard the exact same talk going from Shannon to Golden. Getting bigger, U tough etc. it's de ja vu. Amazing.

Golden took over for a failed coach and inherited a roster with some strengths and some weaknesses. CMR took over for a failed coach and inherited a roster with some strengths and some weaknesses. Big picture, I don't see much difference.

I disagree

We have an attacking defense that has kept us in virtually every game this year. We have players playing through injury versus missing practice. There's a difference. It hasn't manifested in wins and losses yet, but again, this guy has a resume exemplifying that he knows what he's doing

I disagree

We have an attacking defense that has kept us in virtually every game this year. We have players playing through injury versus missing practice. There's a difference. It hasn't manifested in wins and losses yet, but again, this guy has a resume exemplifying that he knows what he's doing

We agree that CMR has a solid resume. But wins and losses is the only thing that matters. The 6 losses in 2011 were by an average of less than 6ppg. Playing tough and losing close is a longer way of saying losing.

Advertisement
The only way to build the program "the right way" is to lose a bunch of games you shouldn't in a desultory manner and to field an inept offense that wakes up the echoes of Pat Nix.

Great coaches have to stick to what they do no matter what their personnel is capable of doing best. Great coaching is forcing players to do what they're not good at and to lose while doing it "the right way."

Parcell made the "you are what your record says your are" statement popular and he's true. But it doesn't speak to progress at all. Again some of you are so scarred that your unwilling to look at any positives or overall culture, etc. So yall gonna be disappointed for this year and next, because this isn't a sprint.

Advertisement
If he wants a physical running game, why does the least physical of our three backs get the most carries? One other thing, play calling is very predictable and that is not helping the line. First series at Notre Dame, run run run punt was almost a sure thing. If Richt does not open up the offense like he did during the middle of the game, this team finishes with 4 wins. If he does, the team finishes with 8.

The only way to build the program "the right way" is to lose a bunch of games you shouldn't in a desultory manner and to field an inept offense that wakes up the echoes of Pat Nix.

Great coaches have to stick to what they do no matter what their personnel is capable of doing best. Great coaching is forcing players to do what they're not good at and to lose while doing it "the right way."

We know Al Golden was your favorite coach you'll get over it eventually

come on your a savy poster

tell me a team with a spread and gun offensive system that has won big . . . none, except maybe oregon. did we get to happy with rpo's, yes. however putting emphasis on the run is the right thing to do. imagine if we dropped back and threw it 60 times a game??

Advertisement
Back