Richt Talking About The Qbs

All the arguing is really moot right now. The only QB we've seen actually play in a game is Rosier and he looks average at best. We don't know much about Shirreffs or Allison except what coaches tell the press and the little practice details that Austin shares with us. We won't be able to gauge Weldon until spring and Perry won't even be on campus until fall. This could go so many different ways. Right now we're just throwing out opinions based on very little knowledge.

Advertisement
All the arguing is really moot right now. The only QB we've seen actually play in a game is Rosier and he looks average at best. We don't know much about Shirreffs or Allison except what coaches tell the press and the little practice details that Austin shares with us. We won't be able to gauge Weldon until spring and Perry won't even be on campus until fall. This could go so many different ways. Right now we're just throwing out opinions based on very little knowledge like we always do.

FIFY

20/29 for 272 yds 2 TD and 1 INT in his first start, on the road is hardly "average at best".

And is it autocorrect that forces everybody to follow the word average with "at best"? Can't anything just be average?

All the arguing is really moot right now. The only QB we've seen actually play in a game is Rosier and he looks average at best. We don't know much about Shirreffs or Allison except what coaches tell the press and the little practice details that Austin shares with us. We won't be able to gauge Weldon until spring and Perry won't even be on campus until fall. This could go so many different ways. Right now we're just throwing out opinions based on very little knowledge like we always do.

FIFY

20/29 for 272 yds 2 TD and 1 INT in his first start, on the road is hardly "average at best".

And is it autocorrect that forces everybody to follow the word average with "at best"? Can't anything just be average?

It was vs duke. If kaaya did that vs duke and the team barely won you would never hear the end of it.

FIFY

His career numbers outside the Duke game (which we still needed a miracle kickoff return to win) are 11-32 for 98 yds 0 TD and 2 INT.
Average would be an overstatement.

FIFY

His career numbers outside the Duke game (which we still needed a miracle kickoff return to win) are 11-32 for 98 yds 0 TD and 2 INT.

Yeah because it's fair to judge him on the Clemson game when the team had clearly packed it in and totally quit by the time he got in. He has one start on the road against a team that was supposed to beat us, and he was better than average. Is he better now than when he played well against Duke? We should hope so.

Advertisement

FIFY

It was vs duke. If kaaya did that vs duke and the team barely won you would never hear the end of it.

If Rosier, like Kayaa were a 2nd year starter I wouldn't have been impressed. Again that was his first and only start, on the road, in the dark.

Not saying he will or should win the starting job, but give the kid his due. He played well above expectations in his only start, so drop the "average at best" routine.

FIFY

Yeah because it's fair to judge him on the Clemson game when the team had clearly packed it in and totally quit by the time he got in. He has one start on the road against a team that was supposed to beat us, and he was better than average. Is he better now than when he played well against Duke? We should hope so.

I'm just saying, there's more to sample from than just that one Duke game. He did a good job of not crapping the bed in Durham but his numbers weren't indicative of how the actual game played out. I hope he's improved significantly because as it stands now, he's got a good chance of at least being the opening day starter.

FIFY

If Rosier, like Kayaa were a 2nd year starter I wouldn't have been impressed. Again that was his first and only start, on the road, in the dark.

Not saying he will or should win the starting job, but give the kid his due. He played well above expectations in his only start, so drop the "average at best" routine.

Im just not impressed by rosier. He is entering year 4 and if he was good it should not even be a discussion about who starts.

The funny thing is people keep down playing a freshman starting right away when a legit case can be made that dudes like rosier and sheriffs shouldn't even be at miami.

Wrong, dumbass. You have no case to make that Rosier or Shirreffs shouldn't be at Miami. Rosier won the only game he started here, and you have never even seen Shirreffs play in a college football game(Don't mention last years spring game. That was a glorified scrimmage, and he was throwing to a bunch of midget walk-ons.).

[MENTION=145]RiDLer80[/MENTION] [MENTION=1458]De Pinga[/MENTION] [MENTION=6030]Ibis Wingz[/MENTION] [MENTION=6961]GrozDozer[/MENTION] @Glow [MENTION=538]rokulika[/MENTION] [MENTION=10717]We the Boss[/MENTION] [MENTION=8165]TheBigBrow[/MENTION] [MENTION=1185]Bicho[/MENTION] [MENTION=13072]BigRonShirley[/MENTION] [MENTION=146]NoVaCane04[/MENTION] [MENTION=2046]DCH[/MENTION]

I see [MENTION=5857]Scorpion[/MENTION] is still fired up about us not recruiting a fullback

Wonder does he have me blocked over here too?
[MENTION=5857]Scorpion[/MENTION]

Advertisement
I have a feeling this QB issue is going to run through the start of the regular season. It's possible they play it safe and go with a veteran right off the bat. They should have one of the better defenses in the nation and it only makes sense to go with the guy least likely to kill you with turnovers. That said, I'm not hopping on the Malik Rosier band wagon. Everyone likes to mention the Duke win two years ago but while he played solid, he hardly carried the offense. He came out sharp in the first half running Coley's watered down version of a high school offense but he folded in the second half and the team had to resort to just running it into a stacked box trying to kill the clock.

Career passing numbers: 31-61 370 Yds 2TD 3 INT. Those numbers are hardly encouraging.

He is not Miami quality. If Rosier is the starter this is going to be a long, frustrating season.

We don't need much from our QB, but it's still a lot to ask for if the QB that emerges just isn't good enough or is still too young.

Amazing how Kaaya is content with winning nothing in college and leaving early only to become a 5th round selection as opposed to competing for the ACC and a playoff birth and getting drafted in the same spot... All while money isn't an issue for him. I'm sure if you gave every QB in the nation that criteria they would come back, yet we had to have the only pvssy for a heart, non-competitor who rather be a day 3 pick.

Steve Walsh wasn't "Miami quality" either. He had something like two D1 offers. He turned out OK. Quit listening to these "practice reports" and give everyone a fair shake.

agreed. once the lights come on, that's when you know. what they were ranked when they were recruited, or what the guy at the barber shop heard, doesn't mean a **** thing

Last edited:
To me it's between Allison, Weldon & Perry...

I don't think Rosier will be the guy, but if I'm wrong I'll be the first one to eat a big plate of crow on that.

Based on Austin's comments, I get the impression that Shirreffs is very much a legit candidate to win the job. If one of the true freshmen wins it, I think it's Weldon. Being on campus as an EE, especially for a QB, is not something Perry can easily overcome in fall camp. I could be wrong, of course, but I'm starting to feel like this might be a battle for No. 1 between Evan and Cade

FIFY

I'm just saying, there's more to sample from than just that one Duke game. He did a good job of not crapping the bed in Durham but his numbers weren't indicative of how the actual game played out. I hope he's improved significantly because as it stands now, he's got a good chance of at least being the opening day starter.

I'm getting tired of everything being a product of the QB. Every single fsu loss is piled at Kayaa's feet, now Rosier didn't win the Duke game well enough. The offense scored the points and the refs repeatedly screwed our defense to make it close. That's not Rosier's fault, he did his job when we had no right to expect anything out of him. He was a backup and many questioned if he was good enough to be on the team so give him credit. And I'd argue that his performance when the game is put in his hands is more telling than what he did in garbage time with the other 2nd stringers.

And so we're clear, I'm not pushing Rosier or saying he should/will be the starter. I'm just saying that it's not fair to call him "average at best" based on the only meaningful game time he's had.

FIFY

Please explain that bolded section and then tell me why it's so hard for you guys to give Rosier credit for playing a really good game considering that it was his first start on the road against a team that was supposed to beat us.

Advertisement
FIFY

Please explain that bolded section and then tell me why it's so hard for you guys to give Rosier credit for playing a really good game considering that it was his first start on the road against a team that was supposed to beat us.

Its unexplainable unless it goes along the lines of "Rosier was the QB who helped Miami to a two score lead on the road until the refs and our terrible DC tried to give the game to Duke". Thats the only acceptable explanation.

We were up 24-12 with 5:54 to go in the game after a FG by Badgley. Rosier threw one pass the rest of the way. A completion for 7 yards to Waters after Coley called two running plays to try eat clock and pick up a first down. Those running plays lost 4 yards. That "drive" came after a Duke TD and preceded another Duke TD. I'm interested in an explanation on how this "barely won" BS falls on Rosier at all.

Last edited:

Its unexplainable unless it goes along the lines of "Rosier was the QB who helped Miami to a two score lead on the road until the refs and our terrible DC tried to give the game to Duke". Thats the only acceptable explanation.

We were up 24-12 with 5:54 to go in the game after a FG by Badgley. Rosier threw one pass the rest of the way. A completion for 7 yards to Waters after Coley called two running plays to try eat clock and pick up a first down. Those running plays lost 4 yards. That "drive" came after a Duke TD and preceded another Duke TD. I'm interested how this "barely won" BS falls on Rosier at all.

These dudes hate Rosier because he wasn't a 5 star like Kyle Wright and Pete told them last year he wouldn't be on the team come opening day kickoff.

When you come up with lines like "his numbers weren't indicative of the game actually played out" in an attempt to discredit a really good surprise first start on the road you know you're struggling.

I can guarantee you when these dudes saw Rosier was the starter before the Duke game they thought for sure we'd get clubbed to death in that game. I know I did. I was pretty certain we'd lose. Then, he went out there and was dropping dimes like a confidential informant. It would be interesting to see a Gameday thread on that game to see how it went.

Now, these guys won't even give him any credit for a really good moment. Hmmmm

has anyone talked about the triple option yet? Specifically [MENTION=10826]reidz5[/MENTION]

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back