Richt Talking About The Qbs

To me it's between Allison, Weldon & Perry...

I don't think Rosier will be the guy, but if I'm wrong I'll be the first one to eat a big plate of crow on that.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The funny thing is people keep down playing a freshman starting right away when a legit case can be made that dudes like rosier and sheriffs shouldn't even be at miami.

I have a feeling this QB issue is going to run through the start of the regular season. It's possible they play it safe and go with a veteran right off the bat. They should have one of the better defenses in the nation and it only makes sense to go with the guy least likely to kill you with turnovers. That said, I'm not hopping on the Malik Rosier band wagon. Everyone likes to mention the Duke win two years ago but while he played solid, he hardly carried the offense. He came out sharp in the first half running Coley's watered down version of a high school offense but he folded in the second half and the team had to resort to just running it into a stacked box trying to kill the clock.

Career passing numbers: 31-61 370 Yds 2TD 3 INT. Those numbers are hardly encouraging.

Look we have a elite defense that only lost 3 starters, a good RB, a unproven(other than Ahmmon)but potentially elite WR core, and a O-line that got a shot of athleticism and talent this past offseason that will probably be improved. I think I can speak for everybody and say I have no problem with Malik Rosier being a game manager type QB for the year if CMR feels N'kosi or Cade isn't ready.

I have a feeling this QB issue is going to run through the start of the regular season. It's possible they play it safe and go with a veteran right off the bat. They should have one of the better defenses in the nation and it only makes sense to go with the guy least likely to kill you with turnovers. That said, I'm not hopping on the Malik Rosier band wagon. Everyone likes to mention the Duke win two years ago but while he played solid, he hardly carried the offense. He came out sharp in the first half running Coley's watered down version of a high school offense but he folded in the second half and the team had to resort to just running it into a stacked box trying to kill the clock.

Career passing numbers: 31-61 370 Yds 2TD 3 INT. Those numbers are hardly encouraging.

He is not Miami quality. If Rosier is the starter this is going to be a long, frustrating season.

We don't need much from our QB, but it's still a lot to ask for if the QB that emerges just isn't good enough or is still too young.

Amazing how Kaaya is content with winning nothing in college and leaving early only to become a 5th round selection as opposed to competing for the ACC and a playoff birth and getting drafted in the same spot... All while money isn't an issue for him. I'm sure if you gave every QB in the nation that criteria they would come back, yet we had to have the only pvssy for a heart, non-competitor who rather be a day 3 pick.

Advertisement
Unless Rosier demonstrably separates from the pack, why would anyone expect him to start as a RS Senior. Surly if it's a close race, you give the reps to whoever has the brightest future.

Perry will have the job...

A guy on campus for two months coming from a PeeWee level HS offense should definitely give us our best chance to win right now.

Not like there is a bunch of world beaters on the roster.

Maybe there isn't a worldbeater on the roster. I'm not sure we need one. Nate Peterman wasn't a worldbeater when he got to Pitt, but we could win the ACC with a QB like him this year.

I just don't see any realistic way Perry takes us where we want to and should go this year given the near certainty he won't be comfortable with anything near a full playbook and won't be a strong leader because of his own uncertainty in the offense.

Truth is none of these qbs on the roster seem to be guys that are strong leaders and they will likely have to use a dumbed down playbook too.

There is no experinced qbs on this team. Rosier started one game. Allison and sheriffs have never played. So what makes you believe that those 3 guys gives the team the best chance to win?

That's not really the truth. That's the truth as you see it.

We have no real idea who the leaders are at QB because we've never seen them lead. It's a tough argument to make that Rosier doesn't have more leadership standing with his team than a true freshman who isn't even here yet. There was a huge rift on the team when Folden insisted on playing Kaaya instead of using Ryan Williams when he was ready because Williams had the team on his side as a vet.

I'm not going to get into a "my guy versus your guy" thing that goes on for the next 6 months because I don't have a guy. Like I've said, I just want the best QB who gives us the best chance to win right now. I simply don't see that being a true freshman who is skinny as a rail, played in a Pee Wee level HS offense, and doesn't get to UM until a couple months before the season starts. It's asking too much of him.

Rick is not beyond playing musical QBs. He did it his last 2 years at UGA. He got to the point during his final season that he played 3 QBs in a game and then started the 3rd string QB out of the blue against his biggest rival.

P.S. You guys are nuts with your straw man ****. There is no Malik Rosier bandwagon. Pretty much everyone on here thinks he sucks and doesn't belong here aside from a few of us who think he might be the starter this year.

Advertisement

He is not Miami quality. If Rosier is the starter this is going to be a long, frustrating season.

We don't need much from our QB, but it's still a lot to ask for if the QB that emerges just isn't good enough or is still too young.

Amazing how Kaaya is content with winning nothing in college and leaving early only to become a 5th round selection as opposed to competing for the ACC and a playoff birth and getting drafted in the same spot... All while money isn't an issue for him. I'm sure if you gave every QB in the nation that criteria they would come back, yet we had to have the only pvssy for a heart, non-competitor who rather be a day 3 pick.

Steve Walsh wasn't "Miami quality" either. He had something like two D1 offers. He turned out OK. Quit listening to these "practice reports" and give everyone a fair shake.

Unless Rosier demonstrably separates from the pack, why would anyone expect him to start as a RS Senior. Surly if it's a close race, you give the reps to whoever has the brightest future.

Dopey fans play this season for the future. Guys whose livelihoods depend on success play the guy who helps them win the most games this year. We'll find out who Rick thinks that guy is. But, rest assured, he isn't going to play a young guy just for "the future."

I don't think Rosier will be the guy, but if I'm wrong I'll be the first one to eat a big plate of crow on that.

I will add this to you crow meal.........LOL
Unknown.jpeg

Advertisement
Although I generally don't like bringing back old threads.......this one will be fun to pump in September!

A guy on campus for two months coming from a PeeWee level HS offense should definitely give us our best chance to win right now.

Not like there is a bunch of world beaters on the roster.

Maybe there isn't a worldbeater on the roster. I'm not sure we need one. Nate Peterman wasn't a worldbeater when he got to Pitt, but we could win the ACC with a QB like him this year.

I just don't see any realistic way Perry takes us where we want to and should go this year given the near certainty he won't be comfortable with anything near a full playbook and won't be a strong leader because of his own uncertainty in the offense.

Truth is none of these qbs on the roster seem to be guys that are strong leaders and they will likely have to use a dumbed down playbook too.

There is no experinced qbs on this team. Rosier started one game. Allison and sheriffs have never played. So what makes you believe that those 3 guys gives the team the best chance to win?

That's not really the truth. That's the truth as you see it.

We have no real idea who the leaders are at QB because we've never seen them lead. It's a tough argument to make that Rosier doesn't have more leadership standing with his team than a true freshman who isn't even here yet. There was a huge rift on the team when Folden insisted on playing Kaaya instead of using Ryan Williams when he was ready because Williams had the team on his side as a vet.

I'm not going to get into a "my guy versus your guy" thing that goes on for the next 6 months because I don't have a guy. Like I've said, I just want the best QB who gives us the best chance to win right now. I simply don't see that being a true freshman who is skinny as a rail, played in a Pee Wee level HS offense, and doesn't get to UM until a couple months before the season starts. It's asking too much of him.

But you think its a guy like rosier, who shouldnt even be at miami. Yea that makes since.

Advertisement

Dopey fans play this season for the future. Guys whose livelihoods depend on success play the guy who helps them win the most games this year. We'll find out who Rick thinks that guy is. But, rest assured, he isn't going to play a young guy just for "the future."

Rosier isnt saving anybody job. That duke game got yall head ****ed up.

Coach Richt kept it as real as you can get...

QB competition is going to be a death match!! :rickflair2:

How many games did they win Turdy Crankwater's true freshmans season?

No idea, he was just the the first True Frosh crank that I could picture. I'm sure if I dug I could find plenty of true frosh non EE's that had some success with a talented D working for them.

****, wasn't that kid from Baga a true frosh? The times they are a changin
The list of true freshmans late enrollees who succeeded at QB is much smaller than the list that failed. And the Alabaga QB was an early enrollee. On top of that, we don't have the top 5 all time defense Alabaga had last year. Hurt was pretty sorry last year. All he did was run. Ask Perry to play that style at 180 pounds, and he'll last half a game.

I wouldn't ask Perry to play in that archaic offense. I'd spread that field out so wide they'd think they were playing Lisa Ann.

I agree on spreading it out. It creates more space, and space is where the elite athletes we recruit thrive. I'm not an Air RAID or an 80 plays per game guy because I've never seen anyone win big doing that. But spread that **** out.

I still don't think Perry is the right answer coming in late like he is. But if he runs away with the job so be it.

On this topic I have to agree with chise.

Yes it's possible Perry could run away with the job with a combination of talent, adaptability, physical skills, and being an early adopter of the playbook. But it's not likely. If it does, then he is one in 1 million.

I will take a steady Eddie at the helm, and right now that looks like it might be Rozier. Or maybe one of the other guys. Allison or Shirreffs, or even Weldon ( who's already on campus)

I just want the guy that gives us the best chance to win the most games and make the most progress.

I do think there will be a real quarterback competition this spring and into the summer. Should be very interesting.

I'll join you on that crow eating. Rosier ain't starting though..

Advertisement
Back