Richt on WQAM 3/20/17

Earlier post mentioned Eason. Eason and UGA lost 5 games last year. Richt doesn't have the luxury of sacrificing potential wins. Go back the last 30 some odd years and you'll find very few true freshman quarterbacks that led their teams anything significant in their freshman year.

No coach wants to start a true freshman at QB, no matter how talented.

Hurts at Bama is a running back playing QB.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Earlier post mentioned Eason. Eason and UGA lost 5 games last year. Richt doesn't have the luxury of sacrificing potential wins. Go back the last 30 some odd years and you'll find very few true freshman quarterbacks that led their teams anything significant in their freshman year.

No coach wants to start a true freshman at QB, no matter how talented.

Hurts at Bama is a running back playing QB.

I don't know what he's thinking. I agree on one hand as long as there's a guy who can adequately run his offense. But if there isn't then it wouldn't shock me.

Last edited:

Eason wasn't ready to start last year at UGA, and I suspect Perry will be even less ready to start at Miami this year.

I don't know how Weldon or Allison having an additional 15 practices are going to make that big of a difference. Perry will be here in 2 months, if he is the best player for the job than so be it. I doubt that Richt is willing to lose his team if Perry is the best option during fall practice.

Advertisement
I don't know how Weldon or Allison having an additional 15 practices are going to make that big of a difference. Perry will be here in 2 months, if he is the best player for the job than so be it. I doubt that Richt is willing to lose his team if Perry is the best option during fall practice.

The team will practice significantly more than the 15 times allowed by that NCAA. That number limits coaching instruction, it doesn't limit the frequency the team can get together.

And the coaches will have eyes on those extra sessions, even if they can't give immediate feedback and correction.

It won't be a 15-practice headstart.

But to your last point ... If Perry is the beast some of yall think he is, he won't have trouble winning the team.

Richt is playing the long game, I think he'd be elated if Perry wins the job.

Rick plays the long game with regard to recruiting and building. If he plays a QB who isn't the best option to win right now with the DL we have (the DL we won't have next year) just to get him experience for next year, then he will be doing THIS team a major disservice. Play the guy you can win the most games with this year. Let next year take care of next year.

If Perry is a transcendent talent, then he can sit a year and win a NC as a redshirt freshmans like Crab Boy did.

Richt is playing the long game, I think he'd be elated if Perry wins the job.

Rick plays the long game with regard to recruiting and building. If he plays a QB who isn't the best option to win right now with the DL we have (the DL we won't have next year) just to get him experience for next year, then he will be doing THIS team a major disservice. Play the guy you can win the most games with this year. Let next year take care of next year.

If Perry is a transcendent talent, then he can sit a year and win a NC as a redshirt freshmans like Crab Boy did.
Agree. You only throw a freshman QB in the fire if you were desperate and I don't care if this freshman QB is the next coming of Payton Manning. With all the QB's we have on the roster, the only way Richt being desperate is if he has had failed miserably in choosing them in the first place.

Richt never started a true freshman at QB while at uGA. Even as highly touted as Stafford was, he sat behind a crappy Tereshinski. The only reason he got in there was because Tereshinski broke his ankle early in the season.

Advertisement
Richt never started a true freshman at QB while at uGA. Even as highly touted as Stafford was, he sat behind a crappy Tereshinski. The only reason he got in there was because Tereshinski broke his ankle early in the season.

And Stafford wasn't good that season. He also had the advantage of coming in early at UGA.

i dont know what Richt's intentions are, but he's got this train headed in the right direction and i dont think he's going to sabotage it. he played all the freshman last year because he knew we needed improvement over the prior year. he's willing to burn as many shirts as needed. he's going to do the same this year. whoever gives him the best change of winning this year will play.

and as to the current crew, he has said at least 4-5 times that he gave everyone the opportunity to compete for kaaya's backup and that none of them consistently "won the job". i think the message is real clear ---> it is weldon or perry.

i dont know what Richt's intentions are, but he's got this train headed in the right direction and i dont think he's going to sabotage it. he played all the freshman last year because he knew we needed improvement over the prior year. he's willing to burn as many shirts as needed. he's going to do the same this year. whoever gives him the best change of winning this year will play.

and as to the current crew, he has said at least 4-5 times that he gave everyone the opportunity to compete for kaaya's backup and that none of them consistently "won the job". i think the message is real clear ---> it is weldon or perry.

How is the message clear?

Maybe Weldon isn't any better?

And if you're going off of high school ranking, Allison is actually the highest rated QB on the roster based on ESPN and 247 rankings as a high school senior.

It took Allison time to transition, it may take Weldon and Perry some time, as well.

Advertisement
DJ Shockley was Richt's first QB signing at uGA. That kid was the backup for like a decade before he got the starting job. But to be fair, he had to sit behind David Greene who set the NCAA record for victories.

DJ Shockley was Richt's first QB signing at uGA. That kid was the backup for like a decade before he got the starting job. But to be fair, he had to sit behind David Greene who set the NCAA record for victories.

If Rosier was a senior with several career starts then you could make the case for him being the bridge to 2018 while the young guys all develop.

We don't have this luxury imo.

Advertisement

If Rosier was a senior with several career starts then you could make the case for him being the bridge to 2018 while the young guys all develop.

We don't have this luxury imo.

I agree completely. Greene was a RS freshman with zero starts also, so that would lead me to think Allison gets the nod. Unless you're a running QB, being a QB at the college level is an entirely different animal compared to high school or these 7 on 7 camps. Ish gets real when your looking across at a front 7 of 19-21 year old grown *** men

The most disappointing part of Richt's update is that Cager isn't ready yet. That really hurts. Only Richards, Berrios, Mullins, Harris and Langham with experience during the Spring, with Dallas added. That's only 6 guys for 3 spots until the other 3 come in the summer :(

I guess I like Cade Weldon's film more than everyone else here...

Really think this kid has a shot. He's an EE that has the size and athleticism to run the RPO. Has been groomed by his pops and seems to have good fundamentals.

Anyone who thinks Coley was going to play Heaps are post-injury Williams ahead of his boy is nuts. Just like Shannon with Jacory, it was clear Coley/Golden had a overwhelming preference for their guy from day 1.

p.s., My money is on Allison.

Advertisement
Back