Richt on WQAM 3/20/17

RVACane

Maude•Gone•Rogue
Maude
QB is wide open. Mentioned Perry coming here in summer and we'll see what he can do. RB is thinnest position. Alluded to adding someone. DJ Dallas is working at WR and waiting on the 3 freshman coming in. Cager isn't ready yet. Said there are a lot of kids being recruited talking good about us behind the scenes that can make the 2018 class even better.

Advertisement
QB is wide open. Mentioned Perry coming here in summer and we'll see what he can do. RB is thinnest position. Alluded to adding someone. DJ Dallas is working at WR and waiting on the 3 freshman coming in. Cager isn't ready yet. Said there are a lot of kids being recruited talking good about us behind the scenes that can make the 2018 class even better.
What was the context of the bolded part? Meaning he's waiting to decide his position based on their arrival? Just waiting to join them and compete with them? Thanks for sharing.

What was the context of the bolded part? Meaning he's waiting to decide his position based on their arrival? Just waiting to join them and compete with them? Thanks for sharing.

Good question and hard to tell. He said that Dallas could play in different spots but they were working him at WR. The answer came on the heels of what the thinnest position is which he said was RB. He seemed to feel with DJ working at WR and 3 freshman coming in that we'd be ok.

Not buying the QB battle being as wide open as they're making it out to be. There's not enough reps to give 5 guys a legit shot at the job. No more than three have a real chance. Rosier. Allison and Sheriffs or Weldon. Seriously doubt they give the job to a true freshman.

Advertisement
If Allison or Rosier don't win the job I'd be very surprised.

Keep in mind when Kaaya won the job as a FR we had nothing but turds and a 1-legged Ryan Williams

Advertisement

Agree with this.

If Perry was the EE, instead of Weldon, I'd probably believe he'd have a real shot at the starting spot. But I can't see it, with him getting there in the summer.

Allison and Rosier should have a decent enough head-start on him to keep the job. And if they don't, I'll be hoping it's because Perry is a prodigy, and not because Jack and Malik are that bad.

definitely sounds like they will be adding a RB soon... and mentioned dallas may slide to RB if they really HAD to....

QB spot wide open, is some what coach talk to motivate them to fight it out, as well as, probably follow through with his recruiting pitches to weldon and Perry that they will have a chance to fight to start day 1......

I dunno, the way the coaches talk about Weldon already, I don't think starting a true frosh is totally out of the question. Richt is conservative anyway so it's not like he's asking whoever the QB is to go be a hero. I think the job is an open as it could possibly be

Advertisement
I think the "QB is wide open" is more of a "Every QB has a chance to win the job, we haven't ruled anyone out" type statement.

I don't think it's a "Every QB is equal at this point" statement. I think the coaches have a pecking order already based on what they've seen, but nothing is set in stone.

Not buying the QB battle being as wide open as they're making it out to be. There's not enough reps to give 5 guys a legit shot at the job. No more than three have a real chance. Rosier. Allison and Sheriffs or Weldon. Seriously doubt they give the job to a true freshman.

You dont know richt too well then. He didnt recruit perry to sit on the bench just like he didnt recruit eason to go to uga to sit on the bench.

Agree with this.

If Perry was the EE, instead of Weldon, I'd probably believe he'd have a real shot at the starting spot. But I can't see it, with him getting there in the summer.

Allison and Rosier should have a decent enough head-start on him to keep the job. And if they don't, I'll be hoping it's because Perry is a prodigy, and not because Jack and Malik are that bad.

Perry will be on campus in may.

Advertisement

Keep in mind when Kaaya won the job as a FR we had nothing but turds and a 1-legged Ryan Williams

Nobody is winning the job in the spring IMO. They're going to give Perry a chance at the job too.

Richt is playing the long game, I think he'd be elated if Perry wins the job.

Pete has said this is exactly the thought process. Perry is his guy and he's hoping he wins the job.

That's the guy feeling I got listening to the interview. It wasn't anything he said, I just detected a slight more upbeatness in his tone when he mentioned Perry coming in the summer.

Advertisement
Back