Richt on WQAM 3/20/17

Richt is playing the long game, I think he'd be elated if Perry wins the job.

Rick plays the long game with regard to recruiting and building. If he plays a QB who isn't the best option to win right now with the DL we have (the DL we won't have next year) just to get him experience for next year, then he will be doing THIS team a major disservice. Play the guy you can win the most games with this year. Let next year take care of next year.

If Perry is a transcendent talent, then he can sit a year and win a NC as a redshirt freshmans like Crab Boy did.
Agree. You only throw a freshman QB in the fire if you were desperate and I don't care if this freshman QB is the next coming of Payton Manning. With all the QB's we have on the roster, the only way Richt being desperate is if he has had failed miserably in choosing them in the first place.

Hence, if Perry wins the starting job, he is the best option. How he wins it is important I suppose-- e.g. the rest are subpar and it falls in his lap vs. be a transcendent talent. But, no one is saying Richt will start Perry and burn a season for the rest of the team, and that'd be a good thing. No one.

Advertisement
Richt has been consistent in how he worded the Quarterback competition. Never said one over the other hasn't "won" the job.

He said, no one really "Separated" themselves from the others.

He wants them to do just a few things - run through progressions, make good decisions, and make the plays. That's it.

Richt wants them to do things HIS way - and I think every QB we have has something good to offer - but they better know the system and execute his way.

Big leap for a true freshman to make that much progress over the Summer and Fall. Big leap.

Rosier was "winging" it a bit too much, but knows the system - Weldon knows what Richt wants, he's well schooled, and he's a big boy who can complete the passes - Allison knows the system, but consistency is paramount -

Kaaya was good - and we all know on the practice field - he dominated. But he'd been punished at became a bit gun-shy at times. Being practice field perfect isn't the same as game day great.

I guess I like Cade Weldon's film more than everyone else here...

Really think this kid has a shot. He's an EE that has the size and athleticism to run the RPO. Has been groomed by his pops and seems to have good fundamentals.

Yeah, I was previously on that Perry tip but I am having 2nd thoughts about Weldon. He may be that guy.

Richt has been consistent in how he worded the Quarterback competition. Never said one over the other hasn't "won" the job.

He said, no one really "Separated" themselves from the others.

He wants them to do just a few things - run through progressions, make good decisions, and make the plays. That's it.

Richt wants them to do things HIS way - and I think every QB we have has something good to offer - but they better know the system and execute his way.

Big leap for a true freshman to make that much progress over the Summer and Fall. Big leap.

Rosier was "winging" it a bit too much, but knows the system - Weldon knows what Richt wants, he's well schooled, and he's a big boy who can complete the passes - Allison knows the system, but consistency is paramount -

Kaaya was good - and we all know on the practice field - he dominated. But he'd been punished at became a bit gun-shy at times. Being practice field perfect isn't the same as game day great.

Truth

Really think this kid has a shot. He's an EE that has the size and athleticism to run the RPO. Has been groomed by his pops and seems to have good fundamentals.

Weldon's senior highlights were as impressive as any QB I've seen in the 2017 class. His release is elite. The ball just jumps out of his hand. And he dropped some dimes into tight coverage. He's also a big sturdily built guy.

UM fans are overlooking him because he wasn't highly rated and didn't have a ton of elite offers. He shut his recruiting down early though, so that hurt him when it came to offers.

Advertisement
I feel Allison will be the guy. He's been in the system and he can sling the rock. He played well in the UA game with his limited time. He has more athleticism than Kaaya by far (although that's not saying much). I think it'll be a battle between Rosier and Allison w/ Allison taking over the reigns.

I've seen Weldon without a shirt on and the boy looks like a **** TE.

If the competition for QB was only about the eye test then Weldon would be the clear favorite.

Weldon's senior highlights were as impressive as any QB I've seen in the 2017 class. His release is elite. The ball just jumps out of his hand. And he dropped some dimes into tight coverage. He's also a big sturdily built guy.

UM fans are overlooking him because he wasn't highly rated and didn't have a ton of elite offers. He shut his recruiting down early though, so that hurt him when it came to offers.

exactly what I saw. And I like that in Richt's interview today, when he discussed Cade, he mentioned his work ethic. Kid just got on campus and the HC is already taking notice that he's busting his ***.

If the competition for QB was only about the eye test then Weldon would be the clear favorite.

I've seen him in those Richard Simmons booty shorts, and he's got big thick legs too.

Advertisement
If I had to give percentages on probability by QB, I would say:

Rozier - 51
Allison - 30
Weldon - 10
Perry - 8
Others - 1

So I'm giving Rozier a better than 50% chance of being the starting quarterback with Allison also having a decent chance. I think Weldon has a better chance among the true freshman and Perry, simply because he's going to be here a lot earlier and had the opportunity to participate in many more practices both formal and informal it. But not much that greater than Perry.

Of course, like everyone else, these are just guesses and anything could happen. We might know more after spring practice and make better predictions then. But even then, I don't think we're going to have a good idea till mid to late summer just who the starter will be, this could even stretch out right into the week before the first game.

Rozier - 51
Allison - 30
Weldon - 10
Perry - 8
Others - 1

So I'm giving Rozier a better than 50% chance of being the starting quarterback with Allison also having a decent chance. I think Weldon has a better chance among the true freshman and Perry, simply because he's going to be here a lot earlier and had the opportunity to participate in many more practices both formal and informal it. But not much that greater than Perry.

Of course, like everyone else, these are just guesses and anything could happen. We might know more after spring practice and make better predictions then. But even then, I don't think we're going to have a good idea till mid to late summer just who the starter will be, this could even stretch out right into the week before the first game.

Smh

Rozier - 51
Allison - 30
Weldon - 10
Perry - 8
Others - 1

Smh

What a ****.

It's the spring? No since in rushing him back. I'll take him full speed in the fall over the spring

The most disappointing part of Richt's update is that Cager isn't ready yet. That really hurts. Only Richards, Berrios, Mullins, Harris and Langham with experience during the Spring, with Dallas added. That's only 6 guys for 3 spots until the other 3 come in the summer :(

Advertisement

Pics? Or at least a detailed description of the scenario?

Asking for a friend

tia

Weldon threw around 12 picks last year in high school. Thats not a good sign going into college to me.

Advertisement
definitely sounds like they will be adding a RB soon... and mentioned dallas may slide to RB if they really HAD to....

QB spot wide open, is some what coach talk to motivate them to fight it out, as well as, probably follow through with his recruiting pitches to weldon and Perry that they will have a chance to fight to start day 1......

Hope DJ doesn't go the way of Jason Geathers

Dallas should get a look at RB before he gets a look at CB imo

I've been saying this.

why just so he would have to sit behind 2 possibly 3 rbs?

I would rather him get switched FS before cb bc we dont have a true freshman FS on the team, and Jaquan Johnson is the only proven DB that we know can play the position effectively.

There's nothing we've seen that he can even play db, nothing. We've seen the natural running ability and we have bad depth at rb. It's a perfect fit. You also move him around , motion him out or just line him up at wr.

Guys like this don't have a set position. Like Harvin at UF, he played all over the place including st's.

As for being third string rb, 3 rb's will play and we're one injury away from being in awful shape at the position. At the very least he'd be a good option as a third down back / slot.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back