Richt on Joe Rose Show

Jassid82

Senior
Premium
I will spare you the "rah rah" its game week part of the interview. A few things that had me puzzled about this whole thing that he admitted to...

1) He didnt sound like a guy who even remotely saw this coming. I know it was 6:30am in the morning but he sounded totally blindsided by the news and his tone was of a man who wasnt happy at all. Maybe I was reading too much into it.

2) He openly admitted that he "wasnt in the loop" during the process. Now maybe I am not privy to what goes on in an investigation but why the **** isnt the Head Coach even involved or even given updates on what is going on? That is insane to me. Im not saying he has to know everything but for him to not even be given a heads up that this was ALOT more serious then they initially thought is just baffling to me. This wasnt a police investigation or even an NCAA investigation. It was the UM compliance dept and they didnt even keep the coach in the loop?

He gave his usual spill about how he is excited to be calling plays again. How they are ready for FAMU. And how it is "next man up". He didnt seem prepared to answer any questions about who will replace AQM and Grace and at one point was not in the mood to talk about the guys who are not there and just want to focus are the ones who are.

Solid interview.

Advertisement
Because he was blindsided by this...I'm telling you this was ALL compliance. He had 0 say in the decision

Just a guess but maybe since the investigation seems to have started before he became the HC they wanted to keep him clean of it.
As in it didn't happen under his command. Just a guess.

Gerald Willis is the obvious replacement for AQM. As for Grace, who knows. I think we will be in a lot more nickel anyways due to all the spread teams so I assume it will be Shaq and Pinkney most of the time with the others filling in from time to time. I say move Carter to OLB if he can pick it up fast enough.

Coaches should not be involved in matters pertaining to potential NCAA issues......why is it so hard for you folks to understand?
SMH.

Advertisement
LOL at idiots who think a HC should be involved in compliance issues. Like Art Briles? Or Butch Jones? That always works out perfectly. The HC never has any incentive to want to keep players eligible does he?

Double LOL at the analysis of Richt's tone.

LOL at idiots who think a HC should be involved in compliance issues. Like Art Briles? Or Butch Jones? That always works out perfectly. The HC never has any incentive to want to keep players eligible does he?

I am just stunned at the level of ignorance by our fans.
Now I see why soFla is loaded with crooked politicians.

Exactly Right-they have to be insulated from this in all aspects. My only concern is the timing-that the U used outside counsel which slowed the process.They had a cavalier approach to the whole thing and it hurt our preparation .

Exactly Right-they have to be insulated from this in all aspects. My only concern is the timing-that the U used outside counsel which slowed the process.They had a cavalier approach to the whole thing and it hurt our preparation .

How is hiring outside counsel to help you get it right being "cavalier"?

Advertisement

How is hiring outside counsel to help you get it right being "cavalier"?

"I'm angry and I want to be angry and I will justify my anger"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because he was blindsided by this...I'm telling you this was ALL compliance. He had 0 say in the decision

Are you implying that Richt should have been involved with the decision? I don't think Richt should have had any role in it at all. It's a compliance issue entirely. Even if he was "blindsided" by the dismissals, he obviously was aware that compliance was investigating these idiots. It was his responsibility to plan for the worst case scenario. If he didn't, that's on him. This isn't Richt's first rodeo.

It was compliance only to the extent that they passed along the decision/recommendation to the president and AD of the NCAA enforcement staff and the university's own outside counsel - same folks who represented Miami in the Shapiro case. Compliance only investigates and doesn't make these kind of decisions. And compliance obviously didn't expect this outcome, either. Richt had a similar extra benefits deal with AJ Green at Georgia, where he ended up suspended multiple games - so that was his point of reference and probably what he was hearing from compliance folks.

"I'm angry and I want to be angry and I will justify my anger"

Life as a Canes fan.

images

Advertisement
Another thread on this situation. My goodness who cares the kids are gone. Let's rejoice in the fact that the season starts this sat and speak on the kids that are here and actually going to be on the field.

I'm extremely ****ed off by our compliance dept, but when I had to re-think about everything that took place in 2010, 1994, 1986....I mean, it's a known fact the NCAA and their myriad of SEC biased board members don't care for Miami. We weathered a humungous storm and the last bit of rain drops are finally going away in October. Why would you want big brother to remotely sniff around us again?

Initially I thought the punishment was way too harsh, especially for Grace...but then I started thinking about if I was in that same position and I had to think about 2 guys v. 85 guys (or whatever # of players we have on the roster), what's the easiest route under these circumstances? Then, when it was reported that Miami will still pay fully for their tuition until they graduate, it was clear this was a business decision for the betterment of the entire football team for years to come v. one season.

I'm sure it we weren't on probation, if the NCAA didn't have their thumb on us, Grace would've been suspended 3 games, but I still think AQM would've been kicked off b/c he's a repeat offender, a repeat offender who did all this talking how his pass moves were elite and only produced a career high 5.5 sacks in one season.

The initial reaction hurt, however for the long term health of squad, along w installing that discipline that Butch had to re-install with the Canes when he took over, I think it was the right call, as much as that pains me to say.

The reason y I'm still confident is this season is b/c of three people...Richt, Kool, and Kaaya. D Jackson under Kool's tutelage can replace AQM...and he's So Fla that absolutely loves the U and got that pit-bull/German Shepard in him (fierce, who's willing to learn). We'll take a slight hit at LB but Shaq is still the QB of the defense regardless and the new Bermuda Triangle seem to be thriving.

It's not all doom and gloom, just wanted to put some things in perspective.

Advertisement
No AQM and Grace means an already bad defense got worse.

The upside is that younger player will get a ton of reps.

Shaq, McCloud and Pickney with 30-35 starts between them is very good for the immediate future of this program.

We shall overcome and be better because of it. I know this because I know who the head coach is that's leading these young men on our team.

But I heard rumor that their was new info that came out recently that made the decision go from bad to terminate immediately. Do we know if that was the case.

TCGRAD 1014

Ariz didn't say or imply that. He made a statement... Richt knew nothing of forth coming decision. Period.

The game never changes, but the players do... IT'S CALLED THE "MIAMI SHUFFLE"... Who's next?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back