Richt doesn't expect Burns to be ready for first game

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Mark Richt said today that he does not expect freshman running back Robert Burns to be available for game one of the season. Burns came to UM from Gulliver Prep with gifted physical tools, but questions about his injury history. The early enrollee injured his shoulder badly enough during spring practice to require surgery, and he was at practice #1 this morning in a green non-contact jersey.

Miami's depth at running back right now after Mark Walton is sophomore Travis Homer, Trayone Gray (returning from ACL), and potentially Deejay Dallas. Dallas is playing receiver now, but it is possible he sees a role at running back in the future. Right said he was impressed with Dallas today as a wide out.

For Burns, this is not necessarily a surprising move. It is better not to rush him back from this -- we will see if he gets healthy enough to see the field at some point this season.

[TWEET]892410715486769152[/TWEET]

Last edited:
Advertisement
No sense in rushing the kid at this point anyways. Let him fully recover, and hopefully he can give us some meaningful snaps mid to late season, when our guys are banged up and can use a spell.

Advertisement
Literally all the upside in the world, but his body keeps failing him. I really hope he gets ahead of it and can get some opportunity.

I think we should use a minimum of two redshirts on him, maybe even three. That way he'll be ready to go by year three.

One of those kids u forget about and when hes a jr we expect for a young guy to kill it and he comes from no where and dominates.....fresh legs eventually

Advertisement
Really need him to be ready by week 3. I couldn't care less if his body just completely breaks down after this season, because the studs are on their way. But we need him this year.

Richt not signing a Juco or other decent RB will jump up to bite us. RB is a position that needs depth.

No sense in rushing the kid at this point anyways. Let him fully recover, and hopefully he can give us some meaningful snaps mid to late season, when our guys are banged up and can use a spell.

I feel like we have been saying this 2 years now about this kid. He sat out all of last year so he could be good to go by the time he got here..not we want to be patient and not rush him back so he can be good to go by next year or later this year if we are lucky. ****. Smh.

Richt not signing a Juco or other decent RB will jump up to bite us. RB is a position that needs depth.

Should we have signed the guy who wound up at Tarlton State? You don't add bums just to have more numbers. We have a 4 star freshmans who everyone wanted waiting in the wings as an emergency RB in case Walton, Homer and Gray go down.

Advertisement
unbreakable-142504.jpg

Should we have signed the guy who wound up at Tarlton State? You don't add bums just to have more numbers. We have a 4 star freshmans who everyone wanted waiting in the wings as an emergency RB in case Walton, Homer and Gray go down.
I don't necessarily think that we should sign bums, but there were some fairly productive players in SF we passed on. We put all of our eggs on McFarley out in Maryland. And Burns, who hasn't played in 2 years.

Advertisement

I don't necessarily think that we should sign bums, but there were some fairly productive players in SF we passed on. We put all of our eggs on McFarley out in Maryland. And Burns, who hasn't played in 2 years.
I agree, and Hopkins wasn't the only JUCO RB that was available.

I guess the staff isn't all that worried about RB depth, but there were plenty of options if they really needed another RB for this Fall.

Ultimately, I think they're just being cautious with Burns, I don't think it's a Defcon 1 situation yet.

I don't remember any UM quality RBs being available after McFartland screwed us at the last second. It's easy to say we never should have put our eggs in the McFartland basket, but they felt like they knew him.

Any of the last minute guys who were available weren't going to be any better than the emergency 4th stringer Deejay Dallas. We'd have to suffer horrible bad luck to wind up getting down to a 5th RB.

So, now seriously, is Choc back? He's going to def get looks the first 2 games (both will be blow outs), but we are counting on him and e is a total wild card.

Advertisement
Back