Richt comments on NJOKU

the TE has accounted for 20 receptions for 321 yards so far. Richards has 15 receptions for 304 and Coley 22 for 291. I think the problem was THIS game that saw very little passes to the TE. Overall though his comment is not off base.

Miami Hurricanes 2016 Statistics - Team and Player Stats - College Football - ESPN

Except we have two TEs who are NFL caliber players. Perhaps we should throw more. In any case, they combined for 4 catches and 28 yards against FSU.

Whatever, though. "Don't listen to what people say; watch what they do."

Richt's true feelings on this will play out on the field. I think he generally feeds the media crap as it relates to substantive football. And, that's fine.

Yep. I really can't even muster up the energy to form an opinion at this point. The next few weeks will show it.

Advertisement
Like anyone that hasn't practiced their craft in a long time, I think he should go and see what others are doing, specifically in his speciality (offense). I see no harm in that. Some of the offensive minds in CFB are absolutely brilliant. Pick their brain and learn what you can. Ain't no shame in that.

Agreed. Drew Brees said a few years ago that every off season he and Sean Payton watch cut-ups of all the NFL offenses the previous year. They find plays that might work and incorporate them into their playbook. Way to stay innovative.

I wish I were a reporter. I would ask him if he does anything similar.

Haha. I get the feeling you'd get the "why the **** would i do that" look.

Like anyone that hasn't practiced their craft in a long time, I think he should go and see what others are doing, specifically in his speciality (offense). I see no harm in that. Some of the offensive minds in CFB are absolutely brilliant. Pick their brain and learn what you can. Ain't no shame in that.

Or hurry up and hire an OC next season.

Depending on how the rest of the season goes obviously....do you guys think he would actually give up calling plays after just one year? Highly doubtful in my opinion....

Why wait?

Advertisement
Asked if he wants to utilize the skill set of njoku more going forward, and he suggested he didn't feel the need to. "We've done a good job spreading the ball to those guys."

Gas up the plane!

Fly that banner!

Not going through five more years of hard-headed stupidity.

Depending on how the rest of the season goes obviously....do you guys think he would actually give up calling plays after just one year? Highly doubtful in my opinion....

He should. Will he? I don't know. He can still be involved with the offense and coach QBs. But he doesn't look comfortable calling plays from the sideline. And he's not doing a good job of it.

That's the scary part - who is he going to hand it off to? Brown? He's stuck where he is - OC by committee with an inexperienced guy. You know he's not going to hire an OC to replace Brown so what we have is what you get for a while.

That's the scary part - who is he going to hand it off to? Brown? He's stuck where he is - OC by committee with an inexperienced guy. You know he's not going to hire an OC to replace Brown so what we have is what you get for a while.

Some of this looks to be his lack of confidence in what he has on offense in certain areas. He called plays at times hoping his defense would ride out the W instead of his offense needing to win it.

Advertisement

He should. Will he? I don't know. He can still be involved with the offense and coach QBs. But he doesn't look comfortable calling plays from the sideline. And he's not doing a good job of it.

I don't think 5 games is a big enough sample size to determine ultimate play calling authority. If the offense plays a stagnant game like fsu for the rest of October then it might be reasonable to say he should hire an OC to call plays. First three games are nice to dominate inferior teams, but play calling is entirely different when facing real defenses. Richt has only had 2 games (1 against a unique GT team) to get in the rhythm of calling plays. He's not the kind of guy who tips off changes to the game plan. He's just chills and laid back. I think the 10 year play calling hiatus affords richt more than a couple games of film.

He'd have to demote his son to a non-coaching position to hire a real OC. Rick could coach QBs, and Brown and new OC would be co-OCs with the new guy calling plays. Either that or hope that the NCAA passes the new proposal expanding the coaching staffs to 10.

the TE has accounted for 20 receptions for 321 yards so far. Richards has 15 receptions for 304 and Coley 22 for 291. I think the problem was THIS game that saw very little passes to the TE. Overall though his comment is not off base.

Miami Hurricanes 2016 Statistics - Team and Player Stats - College Football - ESPN

Except we have two TEs who are NFL caliber players. Perhaps we should throw more. In any case, they combined for 4 catches and 28 yards against FSU.

Richt's true feelings on this will play out on the field. I think he generally feeds the media crap as it relates to substantive football. And, that's fine.

my post was just to support what Richt was saying was true. Some postings preceding mine called him "clueless" or in "denial". That's
ridiculous. I agree he should have used the TE more in this game. However, it's true that he has also been spreading the ball around to those guys like he said. Whether he should use them even more than he has (this one game notwithstanding) is worthy of discussion. I do appreciate your insights.

Here is the entire quote

On if there is any need to utilize tight end David Njoku more, given his physical toolset…

"We have more than one good tight end. We’ve done a good job of spreading the ball to those guys too. I’ve mentioned in the past, we don’t have many ‘him routes’ – where we throw it to ‘him’ no matter what. The coverage does dictate where the ball goes a lot. Even sometimes it depends on what personnel group we’re in, whether he’s the primary guy or not on a certain route. It’s about spreading it. Let’s think about it – Stacy [Coley] is pretty good. [Braxton] Berrios is pretty good. Ahmmon [Richards] is pretty good. Those tight ends are pretty good. Those backs are pretty good. They’re all talented, so you want to spread it out and not give the defense the feeling that we have to stop this one guy and we’ll win the game. That’s the way you want to play offensive football, if you can."

Advertisement
Here is the entire quote

On if there is any need to utilize tight end David Njoku more, given his physical toolset…

"We have more than one good tight end. We’ve done a good job of spreading the ball to those guys too. I’ve mentioned in the past, we don’t have many ‘him routes’ – where we throw it to ‘him’ no matter what. The coverage does dictate where the ball goes a lot. Even sometimes it depends on what personnel group we’re in, whether he’s the primary guy or not on a certain route. It’s about spreading it. Let’s think about it – Stacy [Coley] is pretty good. [Braxton] Berrios is pretty good. Ahmmon [Richards] is pretty good. Those tight ends are pretty good. Those backs are pretty good. They’re all talented, so you want to spread it out and not give the defense the feeling that we have to stop this one guy and we’ll win the game. That’s the way you want to play offensive football, if you can."

Poor guy is losing it. So sad. He should hire an OC ASAP!

my post was just to support what Richt was saying was true. Some postings preceding mine called him "clueless" or in "denial". That's
ridiculous. I agree he should have used the TE more in this game. However, it's true that he has also been spreading the ball around to those guys like he said. Whether he should use them even more than he has (this one game notwithstanding) is worthy of discussion. I do appreciate your insights.

Yeah.....he even spread the ball to Slippery Hands Dobard at F-ing horrible time.

I get what you were doing and it's appreciated. I just thought to use to add to the discussion. I thought we were seeing mostly TEs flaring toward the sideline earlier in the season as a buildup to what we'd see against FSU. Instead, we continued to see the same, but less of it. Very confusing.

Advertisement

I hope to see playcalling designed around getting mismatches for our best weapons.

Some of the Canes fan base is the least knowledgeable about play calling have ever read. Also has some of the wildest guesses for expectations for wins imaginable. FSU has recruited better for the past ten years and have better atheletes and depth than Canes at most positions. Wanting to fire a coach after 1 loss is almost funny. Coach Mark Richt better hope boosters and dominos traction are supportive, because part of fan base is delusional.

Some of the Canes fan base is the least knowledgeable about play calling have ever read. Also has some of the wildest guesses for expectations for wins imaginable. FSU has recruited better for the past ten years and have better atheletes and depth than Canes at most positions. Wanting to fire a coach after 1 loss is almost funny. Coach Mark Richt better hope boosters and dominos traction are supportive, because part of fan base is delusional.
Oops administration.

Advertisement
Back