Richt blocks Gus

Advertisement
Advertisement
Not sure I truly believe this story after Richts comments this past year regarding the transfer rule.

I would let him go to FSU if he wanted. HE just not that good of a player.

Didn't know you can block a graduate transfer if destination school has a graduate program yours doesn't. I'm sure what Richt meant was a regular transfer, where they have to sit out a year and plays, signs, etc can change. I'm sure Gus has already been in meetings, etc as they're planning for spring and playing those teams this year.

Last edited:
I've always thought this was a stupid rule. Let the transfer go where they want.

If a kid transfers to a program we play next year (ie. Syracuse), then they have the ability to share ideas to help those coaches game plan against your former team. You do not want to give any team an advantage...send this kid to Rutgers and call it a day.

Didn't know you can block a graduate transfer if destination school has a graduate program yours doesn't. I'm sure what Richt meant was a regular transfer, where they have to sit out a year and plays, signs, etc can change. I'm sure Gus has already been in meetings, etc as they're planning for spring and playing those teams this year.

That CB from Bama last year was a grad transfer and and Saban was originally blocking him from going to UGA

Advertisement
I've always thought this was a stupid rule. Let the transfer go where they want.

If a kid transfers to a program we play next year (ie. Syracuse), then they have the ability to share ideas to help those coaches game plan against your former team. You do not want to give any team an advantage...send this kid to Rutgers and call it a day.

How much serious intel could a former player give?

I'd bar any player from joining an in-state school and that's it.

That CB from Bama last year was a grad transfer and and Saban was originally blocking him from going to UGA

I remember that but thought it was a rule in the SEC, for transfers within conference. Guess not

Advertisement

How much serious intel could a former player give?

I'd bar any player from joining an in-state school and that's it.

A kid with knowledge of the play book, strategies, etc. Not saying they always do but it's bette safe than sorry. I read somewhere that many coaches bar certain transfers for that reason.

Advertisement
This could be come back on coach Richt to bite him in the butt either way. He most likely wanted to change the policy at UGA but since he had already set a precedent of unconditional release he committed. But now at Miami he can change things up slightly.

You better believe Cuse would pump him for everything he can remember about how both offense and defense at Miami, because a win verses UM would be program changing for them.

At the 5 min mark He talks about his former transfer policy at UGA
[video=youtube;7aL5pzax0Ow]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aL5pzax0Ow[/video]

Last edited:
I am not against this... Calling him a hypocrite is extreme...

I am sure he has his reasons...Usually CMR does allow kids
to do what ever...However, we are not in the office making the
decisions...

Advertisement
Back