Richt blocks Gus

Dude, it's not like you have the biggest playbook in the game. Why kid yourself? Syracuse will scout every game from this year under Richt and every game leading up to game week. If you think they will rely on last years playbook then you and the like are lost when it comes to football and game planning. Bottomline you will end up letting him go in the end. Therefore, if you are concerned about losing your playbook to Syracuse then it is better to let him walk with last years book than to let him stay through spring and summer camp with this years book as well. What was that you said; Some of yawl can't see past your shoe laces!!!!!

You're the lost little puppy. Yes you tweak playbooks and maybe richt may make major changings as last year was his first year with the offense. But typically you're not changing the playbook to the extent that you're implying. And it's not just knowing the playbook, but also knowing the team's culture, fltendencies, etc. there's a reason this practice of blocking transfers happens. You seem knew to this so I'll forgive you

Again, you don't need a teams playbook to learn their tendencies, with that be blocking, routes, running and passing. This you can pickup in film study. Bottomline if this is your primary concern you would have to agree that it's better to lose him now than later. At the end of the day, you giving up Gus because you don't have a leg to stand on. He's a freakin Graduate so he can go where he pleases!

Look ropa vieja. There's a big difference between watching film on a team and knowing their actual cadences

I can tell you've never seen a CF playbook in your life. Cadences often change during the season. So nobody is going around stealing playbooks or recruiting former players for cadences... lol ****, it is so easy to pick that up during the game.

Dude Jon Gruden spent the whole preparation for the Super Bowl teaching his defense Oakland and Rich Gannon's habits and tendencies. Watch the game, it looks like they had their playbook.

Advertisement
You're the lost little puppy. Yes you tweak playbooks and maybe richt may make major changings as last year was his first year with the offense. But typically you're not changing the playbook to the extent that you're implying. And it's not just knowing the playbook, but also knowing the team's culture, fltendencies, etc. there's a reason this practice of blocking transfers happens. You seem knew to this so I'll forgive you

Again, you don't need a teams playbook to learn their tendencies, with that be blocking, routes, running and passing. This you can pickup in film study. Bottomline if this is your primary concern you would have to agree that it's better to lose him now than later. At the end of the day, you giving up Gus because you don't have a leg to stand on. He's a freakin Graduate so he can go where he pleases!

Look ropa vieja. There's a big difference between watching film on a team and knowing their actual cadences

I can tell you've never seen a CF playbook in your life. Cadences often change during the season. So nobody is going around stealing playbooks or recruiting former players for cadences... lol ****, it is so easy to pick that up during the game.

Dude Jon Gruden spent the whole preparation for the Super Bowl teaching his defense Oakland and Rich Gannon's habits and tendencies. Watch the game, it looks like they had their playbook.

My point exactly, you don't need a playbook to dissect a team, find tendencies, alerts, checks etc... All it takes is a little football knowledge. What good is having a playbook going to do you unless you can listen to the play called in the huddle? You still have to defend whatever they call. And I doubt Gruden had the actual playbook because one it is against NFL rules and two we saw what happened with NE for allegedly stealing signals!

Last edited:

My point exactly, you don't need a playbook to dissect a team, find tendencies, alerts, checks etc... All it takes is a little football knowledge. What good is having a playbook going to do you unless you can listen to the play called in the huddle? You still have to defend whatever they call. And I doubt Gruden had the actual playbook because one it is against NFL rules and two we saw what happened with NE for allegedly stealing signals!

Then why do teams and coaches waste time and money on keeping their playbooks secret, confidential and private?

Advertisement

Then why do teams and coaches waste time and money on keeping their playbooks secret, confidential and private?

It is simple, coaches are control freaks.

report is the blocking is coming from higher ups not richt. that the blocking of Edwards if from the institution not the coach. that's the report

Good, Miami filled their end of the bargon and got this kid a degree. It's only fair that we can block him from playing against a team on our schedule next year.

Read the first few posts and then stopped. That article was written by some ****head that blogs Syracuse Football. He's calling into question the character of Mark Richt.

Is this even a story?

Advertisement
How is this a bad look on Miami, or unfair? This is literally standard operating procedure for all major D1 ADs.

Because ******** will find any ****ing reason to bash Richt

I think blocking a transfer is lame as **** any way you slice it.

I find it hypocritical how people call out other coaches when they do it. Here we just blame James, which is bs. If Richt said let him go, James wouldn't get in his way.

That's just my take from the first few pages of this thread. I'm not reading it all, but maybe more has come to light.

report is the blocking is coming from higher ups not richt. that the blocking of Edwards if from the institution not the coach. that's the report

I want all of yawl to acknowledge that I was right. The above post will prove that this is just smoke screen to give the coaches an out. If and I hope McFarland signs I bet yawl the coaches will in the end let Gus go to any school that he chooses. The number one reason they will do it is because both parties have payed their part; Gus was offered a four year degree paid by the University and Gus has fulfilled his obligation by achieving his degree. Therefore, as history has proven there isn't a thing the coaches or University can do to stop him from moving on and playing at any school he chooses. The only thing they can do is hold up the process; we have seen it done last year with GA, AL and this year the result will be the same with UM letting him go because they can't stop him. Bottline he's a Free Agent!!!

Last edited:
This is a normal business decision by both parties. I compare this to a no-compete clause in an employment contract. The fact he is not a great player is not relevant. Should The U pick and chose when they give an unconditional release? This would set a bad precedent. What if Richards or Pinckney wanted to transfer? Either block transfers to teams on future schedules or don't.

Gus has more options than teams on Miami's schedule.

LOL at this whole thread...Herald says this morning that Gus has never FORMALLY asked for a transfer, just EXPLORED his options. The media strikes again..:stupid:

Advertisement
Rutgers is closer to Brooklyn than Syracuse is.

But Syracuse was his original destination out of HS, until some unfortunate things happened involving (apparently including Gus and) some other players at his Brooklyn high school. A bunch of players were accused of being involved in a gangbang with a girl in the school, and a number, including Gus, were named, as I recall.

I'm not sure how involved Gus was in this situation, but I remember an "Augustus" Edwards being named in a newspaper report as one of the players under investigation. Now, this is three or four years ago, but I'm not sure if it was the alleged *** act that was the problem, but the poor girl was the subject of widespread social media embarrassment and abuse.

The girl ended up publicly committing suicide by falling off the platform at the subway station in front of an oncoming train. I saw the video, and it was not pleasant.

I think Gus was a friend of the girl's.

I don't think he was charged or implicated in any wrongdoing. I do remember a statement I saw when he connected to Miami late in the recruiting process and said something to the effect of, "I just want to get as far away from here as I can."

That's why he switched from Syracuse to Miami at the end (I think). I was intrigued by a big fast back like he is, but wondered if he was just big and fast, but not really a runner. I think most would agree he's mostly big and fast. That's why he never became a great RB at Miami.

I guess it's the Herschel Walker syndrome. Although that's getting to be ancient history for most of you, I remember when JJ with the Cowboys was so ready to unload this super franchise back (in college) for a guy smaller and slower, Emmit Smith.

Gus has had a disappointing time at the U and I guess he wants to try his original choice Syracuse. Really kind of sad, but I've always wondered about the quality of NYC football prospects. We've had a few, like Steve McGuire who was very good, and Robert Bass, who was OK, but I think was not as good as Ray Lewis, who I think might have beat him out (I don't remember, though). Or, i think Ray stepped in to start when Bass was hurt and never looked back.

The whole thing with Gus is kind of sad. Maybe he might have been able to do more at Syracuse.

The saddest thing is what happened to that poor girl....I remember reading her life story. Raised by a relative, no parents in her life, and to end up so devastated by the abuse and embarrassment in HS that she had to take her life. This has happened more than a few times with social media.

I'm not saying Gus was directly implicated in what drove her over the edge, or that he was in any way at fault, but I think there was a very sad backstory to how he ended up at the U, and it was apparently not a great fit.

EDIT: It was actually Tottenville on Staten Island.

Staten Island HS football stars' ban could be related to bullied teen's suicide - NY Daily News

As far as blaming Richt for blocking Gus, my reading of the story a day or so ago is that it is coming from Blake James, not CMR.

I guess that many programs and coaches believe that the risk of compromising your preparation and system is too much so many schools impose this policy, and I'm not sure it's simply out of spite. I think it's genuine concern over giving an edge to your opponent. I think CMR's past statements while at UGA show him to be more decent than most in the profession. If so, I'm glad we've got him than some of the sharks who are swarming all over the place in college football.

ANOTHER EDIT: Actually, she jumped in front of a commuter train. I don't know if it was social media, or just bullying at school. There are still a lot of videos on the internet, including, I think, of her jumping in front of the train. I watched it back around 2013, I guess when he committed to UM late in the game. I don't want to post a link. I'm not trying to disparage Gus. I'd rather he go somewhere, be happier, and maybe have a more successful college career instead of a career backup. Maybe he can be more successful in a different system.

Last edited:
Gus needs to make a request first. All of this debate is moot until Blake James actually blocks him, which he hasn't done yet. If that happens, then I would argue that Mark Richt has enough clout to persuade James to allow the transfer. But, again, we're speculating, since Gus hasn't put in the request yet.

p.s., Berlin was allowed to transfer to us even though we played Florida. Satan ultimately let that Bama kid go to Ga. He's graduating from Miami, let him play where he wants.

Advertisement
Good, Miami filled their end of the bargon and got this kid a degree. It's only fair that we can block him from playing against a team on our schedule next year.

He isn't a piece of property. Let the kid play where he wants to play. If he is truly a "student-athlete" then he filled his obligation to the school.

The issue, however, may be out of Richt’s control. Miami athletic director Blake James said in an interview with the Palm Beach Post it is school policy not to allow student athletes to transfer to upcoming opponents.

“Institutionally, our policy has been that we would not do that for a school we’re going to play in the upcoming season,” James said.

I don't particularly like Flake James but I see nothing wrong with this as an institutional policy.

Advertisement
Back