Richt #22 highest paid coach, worth it?

Listen...we gave up chunk plays with JJ's defense. It's built-in to the pressure 4-3 defense, I think. Sometimes teams ran wild on us. Look at Pitt in '86.
Exactly. Giving up those chunk plays is part of an aggressive D.. and we’ve been begging for an aggressive D for years.

Advertisement
We had that chip under Howard. They made opponents hate them with the taunting. It just continued under Jimmy. He said he would try to stop after criticism went big-time but I doubt he really did. It was even bad under Dennis....look at the 1991 Cotton Bowl.

You got me. But Bernie was left over for JJ’s first year. The taunting probably stared under Howard, but I can’t say I remember much, however, it went nuclear under JJ thermonuclear with Dennis— that’s when the Miami Rules came in. All that said, I bow to you recall. You are king of us old farts.

Advertisement
I've always wondered how Nebraska could continue to be nationally competitive given a local recruiting base that is really just corn-fed white linemen and no speed. Football has changed since Nebraska was a perennial national power. I would think that a big public university in Florida would have more long-term potential. After all, for many years, UM was a commuter school and a small private one step that.

Nebraska's money is what is keeping them in the game. That said, with the changes in population that has hit the midwest, they aren't able to supplement the line guys with speed anymore. People forget that once upon a time, Omaha used to produce some **** good athletes. Those days have long passed. In order for Frost to win now, he has to find a way to recruit speed from Florida and California, and I don't know if that can happen now. Schools like Cal, Colorado and others are competently run now, which means you can play big time football, and NOT have to live in Lincoln. Never mind the fact that guys don't have to sit at a place like NU, when they can go somewhere like Boise and play immediately AND be on TV.

Personally, I think Frost is Nebraska's last good chance of being relevant. If he fails, I don't see NU being anything other than an also ran in the B1G(Which was a stupid move, they should have stayed in the Big XII with CU).

This is it in a nutshell. Right now ( and for the last 15 years ) I have considered Richt somewhere between 10-15 in coaching ( which is way better then Butch , Shannon , Coker and even Erickson IMO ) . But if he can take Miami back to National title at some point he will be securely in the top 10 . His recruiting alone makes him top 20 IMO .
Cane fam,

Dennis Erickson won two National titles and 3 times was the coach of the year in the pac 10. That’s 3 different pac 10 teams, Washington State, Oregon State, and Arizona State. Those aren’t exactly powerhouses. He was hired twice to coach in the NFL. Yeah, his recruiting was average, but he was the greatest offensive coach we ever had.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Erickson

Cane fam,

Dennis Erickson won two National titles and 3 times was the coach of the year in the pac 10. That’s 3 different pac 10 teams, Washington State, Oregon State, and Arizona State. Those aren’t exactly powerhouses. He was hired twice to coach in the NFL. Yeah, his recruiting was average, but he was the greatest offensive coach we ever had.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Erickson

I agree.

His single back bubble concepts were decades before their time.

Disagree.

Stanford had a few winning seasons before Harbaugh got there, while you have to go back to 1974 before you could find the last Vandy coach to have a career winning record.

Here are the records of the 8 coaches that preceded Franklin:

Caldwell 2-10
Johnson 29-66
Widenhofer 15-40
Dowhower 4-18
DiNardo 19-25
Brown 10-45
Macintyre 25-52-1
Pancoast 40-52-1
Sloan 12-9-2

What Franklin did there was miraculous, and He didn't have an Andrew Luck.

Fair enough. I’m not discounting Franklin.

Stanford did have some level of respectability but was awful when Harbaugh was hired. The program had not had a decent season in a decade, since Tyrone Willimgham was HC.

Advertisement
There's a handful of coaches on the list that's paid more than Richt (74%) that has a higher winning percentage.

Pettersen 82%
Meyer - 87%
Saban - 80% (LSU, Bama)
Swinney - 78%
Fisher - 77%
Shaw - 77%
Herman - 75% (Houston AAC?)

I don't love his play calling at times, but was he limited with Rosier? It seems like he's opened up the playbook a bit with Perry. It's hard to tell since the N.C. game Perry only attempted 12 passes. One thing I've noticed is Perry throws to the middle of the field where Rosier avoided it.

He's worth every penny considering what he's done for the school in such a short amount of time.

Good Value. Richt is a top 15 coach.

He is probably a little underpaid, but he doesn't belong in the top ten. Having a long stretch of good but not great seasons at a school with great resources and local talent isn't enough, which is why he was fired and his successor has already eclipsed his on field and recruiting performance.

We weren't going to get a bigger name, that is for sure and if we didn't have him we would be hoping to land the next big thing before they are too big. Who knows what would have happened.

He is probably a little underpaid, but he doesn't belong in the top ten. Having a long stretch of good but not great seasons at a school with great resources and local talent isn't enough, which is why he was fired and his successor has already eclipsed his on field and recruiting performance.

We weren't going to get a bigger name, that is for sure and if we didn't have him we would be hoping to land the next big thing before they are too big. Who knows what would have happened.

You have to consider tho that smart is winning w richts recruits, and more importantly that Richt coached at UGA during the BCS era and smart during the playoff era.

If the playoff system had been in place during richts tenure, he’d have made the final four a couple times.

Neither have won a ship tho.

Advertisement
You have to consider tho that smart is winning w richts recruits, and more importantly that Richt coached at UGA during the BCS era and smart during the playoff era.

If the playoff system had been in place during richts tenure, he’d have made the final four a couple times.

Neither have won a ship tho.
Ya, you can do that if you want. It wasn't Richts quarterback though, and its not like Smart has recruited lower caliber players since his arrival. Beside if you do that then you have to give one of Richt's SEC titles to the former coach because he won it in year two with Donnan's players. So if you want to prop up one Conference championship in 15 years, be my guest.

And Right doesn't get credit for a change in the system. He never played for a title, thats all there is to it. He couldn't get past the bigger hurdles at any point during his career there, considering he never won his conference after 2005 he probably wasn't winning a ring if his team made the playoff one or two of those years either. Smart on the other hand won his conference in the playoff era outright.

Ya, you can do that if you want. It wasn't Richts quarterback though, and its not like Smart has recruited lower caliber players since his arrival. Beside if you do that then you have to give one of Richt's SEC titles to the former coach because he won it in year two with Donnan's players. So if you want to prop up one Conference championship in 15 years, be my guest.

And Right doesn't get credit for a change in the system. He never played for a title, thats all there is to it. He couldn't get past the bigger hurdles at any point during his career there, considering he never won his conference after 2005 he probably wasn't winning a ring if his team made the playoff one or two of those years either. Smart on the other hand won his conference in the playoff era outright.
**** dude that’s a helluva rabbit hole you just dove into. No need to bend the space-time continuum.

UGA averaged 7 wins per season for the 15 years before Richt arrived. He left them after 15 seasons averaging 10 wins per season and both perennial conference and national contenders.

If you want to knock Richt for never winning a chip, fine. But don’t put him and Kirby Smart in the same tier. Kirby inherited a juggernaut perennial contender, and has so far taken them no farther than Richt did.

Richt inherited a dumpster fire in Athens and built that program into a winner.

Now he’s doing the same at Miami.

Advertisement
He's probably in the top 20 salary wise once you include his son and wife's paychecks into the equation.

Disagree.

- guys don’t have to sit anywhere anymore, and they won’t. Especially with the new “redshirt” and transfer rules.
- every school is on TV; Nebraska being in the B1G means they’ll be on TV even more. And they make more money doing it.
- Nebraska is on the “Coastal” side of the B1G, which means they only have to fight IA, and WI.
- Mike Rozier and Irving Fryar were both from New Jersey; Turner Gill was from Texas. NOTE: NONE FROM OMAHA.
- Some of Boise State athletes are better because they ran into a recruiter - a salesman, not because they wanted to play in Idaho.
- As long as a school has the money and the coaching that recruits, they can win.

This is a test for Scott Frost, as it is for any coach. Recruiting is the most important part of the job. Frost got credit for being “that coach” yet didn’t recruit almost any of the guys who played for him at UCF. He was only there 2 years, how could he? A lot of people have written about Willie Taggart’s resume and Frost’s is just as thin - if not more so - with “dream seasons” catapulting them to better opportunities. Some would say undeserved opportunities.

Frost is doing worse than Taggart. Let that sink in.

You can recruit from anywhere to Nebraska. Why do I say this? Just look at college basketball. Kids come from all over to go to more “podunk” towns than Lincoln, NE. SCHOOLS WITH FAR FEWER RESOURCES.

Nebraska, like any program, needs coaches who can recruit...consistently.

Once again, Nebraska is a miserable place to live. It's going to take an elite recruiter to get kids to consistently choose Nebraska over SEC, ACC and Pac-12 schools. It was a lot easier to do that when Nebraska was far and away the best program in the country not named Oklahoma.

The point I'm making about Omaha was that it used to give NU some great athletes. Eric Crouch, Ahman Green, Johnny Rodgers are the three that immediately come to mind. They could get SOME local guys, that pipeline is completely dead at this point, because the city is no where near as large as it used to be.

Again, the biggest things Nebraska used to be able to exploit are no longer applicable. Whether it was their walk-on program(There are far more FBS schools now, meaning guys aren't going to walk on somewhere if they can play at a mid major worth a ****), or the fact that they were one of a few programs consistently on TV(Everyone is on a network at this point, no one gives a crap about NU being on the B1G). Nebraska is stuck in a rough spot, they are at best the 5th most relevant program in the B1G(They lucked out in divisional assignment, but that won't matter if they are consistently getting **** on by OSU, PSU and Michigan). It's not an accident that they haven't been able to do anything after Solich, and it's not like they have hired all garbage. Pellini was solid, the problem was that he couldn't get them over the hump.

Nebraska fans and boosters are expecting a return to the mid 90s and I don't see that happening. I think Pellini maxed that program out, especially seeing how they are now stuck in a conference that took them away from some of their most reliable recruiting areas.

UGA averaged 7 wins per season for the 15 years before Richt arrived. He left them after 15 seasons averaging 10 wins per season and both perennial conference and national contenders.

If you want to knock Richt for never winning a chip, fine. But don’t put him and Kirby Smart in the same tier. Kirby inherited a juggernaut perennial contender, and has so far taken them no farther than Richt did.

Richt inherited a dumpster fire in Athens and built that program into a winner.

Now he’s doing the same at Miami.
Whatever you got to tell yourself. We are getting a little more than what we are paying for, thats it. It is nice to not be one of those schools spending 7 million for a **** coach, but this guy is not elite and does not belong in the same income tier as the top 5 coaches. The ultimate answer to the OP question is yes, he is worth it. But he is who we think he is.

Advertisement
Back