Richest programs in college

Pretty unbelievable as you say that we're even remotely competitive given the numbers. For example:

University of Alabama
Recruiting Expenses (men's teams): $2,105,001
Operating Expenses (football): $7,716,404
Total Expenses (football): $62,252,389

Revenues (football): $108,117,057

University of Miami
Recruiting Expenses (men's teams): $1,339,090
Operating Expenses (football): $5,548,650
Total Expenses (football): $33,018,938

Revenues (football): $35,358,218

this is one of the reasons the football world has always hated Miami, especially traditional powerhouses like Oklahoma, Nebraska and Alabama. We are private, small, unorthodox, few relative resources and we turned the football world on its head against all odds! We will rise again gentlemen, in fact we are a-rising.

Advertisement
It doesn't show the full breakdowns of non allocated exp/rev, can you point me to it because I don't see it. If you look back you'll see years ago in the EADA Miami used to show a profit, in this report and now they use GAAP methods to show $0 and have for years now.

Regardless, my point is that Miami football brings in tons of revenue and goodwill that cannot (or sometimes by choice) be tied back to the football program.

You’ll have to be more specific.

There’s enough of the revenue breakdown by sport for my needs.

Also, of course those are big revenue numbers. But not in comparison to other schools. They’re actually quite anemic. You don’t need breakdowns for that.

Schools such as UTK have an advantage in that there's no other major sport to be a fan of within a 300-400 mile radius. Therefore, their fan base is huge and they fill 90,000 plus seats on average- stadium seats over 100,000 - every week even thought they suck. They also manage to schedule 7 home games every year because they can afford to pay visiting teams big bucks to come to Knoxville. Same can basically be said for gayturdville, trailerhassee, tuscaloosa, and many other "rural" schools. Obviously for the Canes, people have many other options in which to spend their "sports" dollars.

Its not just sports dollars its dollars in general this is Miami there is always something to do around here. with those other schools that's all they have. look at Alabama they have nothing but that. I lived in Tally for 3 years while stationed there, its a boring redneck town with a college campus. Only fun activities are drinking and if there's a sporting event at FSU. that's it, We will never have just that here not with girls in bikinis a few miles away.

About 70% greater football revenue, or over $23 million more per year, significantly lower cost of operations base, and it’s not really a secret.

Where is that disparity in revenue coming from? I've NEVER seen TCU gear on anyone walking around a mall in my neighborhood (or anywhere else for that matter). Their home stadium only seats 45,000.

Where is that disparity in revenue coming from? I've NEVER seen TCU gear on anyone walking around a mall in my neighborhood (or anywhere else for that matter). Their home stadium only seats 45,000.

Do you doubt it? Look at the data source.

Advertisement
Excuses? You mean facts.

And where did I say things haven’t been poorly run the last 12 years?

It’s just now we’re getting back on track.

But to deny we’re operating at a huge financial disadvantage vs other powerhouses is unrealistic and just plain retarded. It’s something that has to be taken into consideration.

What is your point?

My point is very simple. You are what your record says you are. Based on that standard (the only standard that matters), we have been a mediocre program, consistent with mediocre revenues, over the past 12 years.

In the early 90s we got nailed by the NCAA in a real way, with real scholarship losses. The Shapiro stuff was nothing more than an excuse for Al Golden to keep his job for an extra year. We also sucked for a bunch of years before the Shapiro thing. Blaming 12 years of futility on Shapiro is absurd.

Yeah, that was the excuse to extend and then retain Golden longer than Miami should have. The problem with the Shapiro ordeal is it kept lingering and at a point there was real concern that Miami was going to get absolutely hammered. The only thing and I mean only thing the last regime did right was once it became clear this was a witch hunt the university fought the NCAA like a badger.

Pretty unbelievable as you say that we're even remotely competitive given the numbers. For example:

University of Alabama
Recruiting Expenses (men's teams): $2,105,001
Operating Expenses (football): $7,716,404
Total Expenses (football): $62,252,389

Revenues (football): $108,117,057

University of Miami
Recruiting Expenses (men's teams): $1,339,090
Operating Expenses (football): $5,548,650
Total Expenses (football): $33,018,938

Revenues (football): $35,358,218

Well there you have the numbers. We have a top ten program and made a little money. Good for us. I'm not sure what the critical planning points are. Does additional investment necessarily translate to increased revenues etc. my guess is that critical mass has a lot to do with it. Big schools with big alumnies equals higher designated gifts. Football revenues support other athletic programs so we must be running really thin.

I personally prefer not to look back. It's all downhill here from here. Hard Rock upgraded and first rate. IPF almost completely and first rate. New dorms ready in 2019 and will be world class.

Football subsidizes non-revenue sports at places like Ohio State and Penn State. Both schools have Division I fencing for crying out loud. Ohio State has a varsity pistol and a varsity rifle team. Who knew? Hockey, men's and women's lacrosse, wrestling, the list goes on. For instance, Division I lacrosse is worst than Division I baseball. Limited to 12.6 scholarships with a roster of 44 which means everybody gets a 25% free ride. So that's at $604K just for tuition for players, another $200K for room and board. Add coaches salaries, administration, travel. You are lucky to draw a 1K for a college lacrosse game and you made get 8 home dates. You'd be lucky to charge $10 and if you are a student you get in for free.

Last edited:
Advertisement
My point is very simple. You are what your record says you are. Based on that standard (the only standard that matters), we have been a mediocre program, consistent with mediocre revenues, over the past 12 years.

I’m still missing your point.

How that’s a counter to anything I posted somehow eludes me. Maybe you can fill me in. I don’t think any reasonable person would argue against Maimi being anything above just middling or average for any recent season except the last two.

Yeah, that was the excuse to extend and then retain Golden longer than Miami should have. The problem with the Shapiro ordeal is it kept lingering and at a point there was real concern that Miami was going to get absolutely hammered. The only thing and I mean only thing the last regime did right was once it became clear this was a witch hunt the university fought the NCAA like a badger.

You’re both conflating two separate things.

Golden was a mistake hire from the beginning. Our candidate pool was a joke. It was basically Edsall, Golden, and Marc Trestmann.

People can refute this and say that Edsall is still a HC, and Trestmann was eventually hired by the Chicago Bears, but I’m convinced we would have failed with them also. They’re not big school quality hires.

Golden should have been fired after two seasons, maximum three, when it became clear he was not a fit for Miami.

But that’s not the point. The Shapiro mess totally fūcked us in recruiting. If you don’t see that, you’re blind. Independent of whether Golden was a good recruiter or not, bowl bans, talk of the death penalty, and the negatives used against us, for well over three years had a huge impact.

Yes, Golden should have been fired. The question is, who would have come coach for us.

You’re both conflating two separate things.

Golden was a mistake hire from the beginning. Our candidate pool was a joke. It was basically Edsall, Golden, and Marc Trestmann.

People can refute this and say that Edsall is still a HC, and Trestmann was eventually hired by the Chicago Bears, but I’m convinced we would have failed with them also. They’re not big school quality hires.

Golden should have been fired after two seasons, maximum three, when it became clear he was not a fit for Miami.

But that’s not the point. The Shapiro mess totally fūcked us in recruiting. If you don’t see that, you’re blind. Independent of whether Golden was a good recruiter or not, bowl bans, talk of the death penalty, and the negatives used against us, for well over three years had a huge impact.

Yes, Golden should have been fired. The question is, who would have come coach for us.

I'm not conflating anything. I agree with you the Shapiro ordeal was devastating on recruiting because of the uncertainty and that is what I implied.

As for Golden, they were not firing him after the 2013 season fit or no fit. He should have been fired after the 2014 season without question, but he got the extra year because of the Shapiro ordeal discount. As for a bad hire, yeah but that is after the fact. He came in with a decent pedigree, turning the worst Division I football program into a competitive team and an ability to sell a concept that sounded compelling. He was a charlatan.

Last edited:
I'm not conflating anything. I agree with you the Shapiro ordeal was devastating on recruiting because of the uncertainty and that is what I implied.

As for Golden, they were not firing him after the 2013 season fit or no fit. He should have been fired after the 2014 season without question, but he got the extra year because of the Shapiro ordeal discount. As for a bad hire, yeah but that is after the fact. He came in with a decent pedigree, turning the worst Division I football program into a competitive team and an ability to sell a concept that sounded compelling. He was a charlatan.

Have you ever read the article that Jason Whitlock wrote on Golden around the time he was hired?

He was already known as a fraud back then.

Advertisement
In the early 90s we got nailed by the NCAA in a real way, with real scholarship losses. The Shapiro stuff was nothing more than an excuse for Al Golden to keep his job for an extra year. We also sucked for a bunch of years before the Shapiro thing. Blaming 12 years of futility on Shapiro is absurd.

The cloud, the cloud, the cloud, and more clouds. I still remember people saying that's why we were losing and why we couldn't do this or that. It was an issue to a very small degree, but fans of all schools have a way of ignoring how bad their coach sucks and make mountains out of molehills to justify in their brains that it's anything but the coach.

Yes, I remember Whitlock was on Golden from the beginning. Unfortunately, he was the only guy.

He was the only media guy. I was pointing out how bad of a hire it was from day one and jokingly saying how we stole Temple's coach. Too bad for us, it wasn't a joke.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back