Richest programs in college

Advertisement
If you know the reason then it shouldn't really annoy you.
There are three private schools on the entire list, TCU, USC and ND the rest are huge state schools. We'll never have the base that those schools have, most graduate in one year what Miami does in ten.

I disagree. Understanding causality may have little to do with the emotion it evokes. It may and should affect actions, but not how you "feel" about it.

Pretty unbelievable as you say that we're even remotely competitive given the numbers. For example:

University of Alabama
Recruiting Expenses (men's teams): $2,105,001
Operating Expenses (football): $7,716,404
Total Expenses (football): $62,252,389

Revenues (football): $108,117,057

University of Miami
Recruiting Expenses (men's teams): $1,339,090
Operating Expenses (football): $5,548,650
Total Expenses (football): $33,018,938

Revenues (football): $35,358,218

So, you are saying that we have 2.5 million MORE to spend each year?

on the upside, it looks like our women's basketball team brings in almost five times the revenue of Bama's. So we've got that going for us.

I disagree. Understanding causality may have little to do with the emotion it evokes. It may and should affect actions, but not how you "feel" about it.

Typically when someone understands why something is happening it impact their feelings.

Advertisement
Even in Miami glory days we never been at the top financially in terms of revenue made from programs but it didn’t stop us from being at the top. Our talent base and coaching made us stay up there and I’ll gladly take that over extra resources that schools like Texas a&m, Texas, Notre Dame, uf and others have yet still are trash

Typically when someone understands why something is happening it impact their feelings.

Here's an extreme simplified example:

Drunk driver hits and seriously injures your daughter. You understand he hit her because he was cognitively impaired and not in full control of his faculties, but does that diminish the pain or anger related to the event. It wouldn't for me.

Here's an extreme simplified example:

Drunk driver hits and seriously injures your daughter. You understand he hit her because he was cognitively impaired and not in full control of his faculties, but does that diminish the pain or anger related to the event. It wouldn't for me.
giphy.gif

Advertisement
My thought as well. Goes to show that big $$ doesn't always equal on-field success. And on-field success, at least in "college towns", doesn't always lower the bottom line. I'm sure people are buying up Rockytop gear in Knoxville when they're terrible just as much as when they're decent.
Schools such as UTK have an advantage in that there's no other major sport to be a fan of within a 300-400 mile radius. Therefore, their fan base is huge and they fill 90,000 plus seats on average- stadium seats over 100,000 - every week even thought they suck. They also manage to schedule 7 home games every year because they can afford to pay visiting teams big bucks to come to Knoxville. Same can basically be said for gayturdville, trailerhassee, tuscaloosa, and many other "rural" schools. Obviously for the Canes, people have many other options in which to spend their "sports" dollars.

For the last 10 years, we have been getting almost exactly GaTech type results:

GT 2008-2017
2008 9-4
2009 11-3
2010 6-7
2011 8-5
2012 7-6
2013 7-6
2014 11-3
2015 3-9
2016 9-4
2017 5-6

UM 2008-2017
2008 7-6
2009 9-4
2010 7-6
2011 6-6
2012 7-5
2013 9-4
2014 6-7
2015 8-5
2016 9-4
2017 10-3

Now there was no 3-9 season for us, but GT won 11 games twice in that span with an Orange Bowl win, and we've broken double digits only last year. Sad, but in the last decade GT is about where we've been as a program, record-wise...

It has been a painful long stretch, to say the least.

Our location (beauty, allure, recruiting), our campus, and most importantly our brand are our saving graces.

But without all those three, and our history, Miami is Wake Forest.

Think about it.

We have to fight a yearly deficit of hundreds of millions vs top 5 programs cumulatively.

We have to sell our “boutique” ethos. Brand, history, location, campus, NFL history (past and present) vs their opulence and bags.

It ain’t easy.

I got news for you: we are Wake Forest. We've been to the ACCCG once in the last 12 years, the same number of appearances as Wake Forest, UNC and Duke, and one less than Boston College during that period. If you go by ACCCG appearances and major bowl game appearances, Georgia Tech has been a far more successful program than Miami during the past 12 years. Our performance has actually corresponded appropriately with a mediocre revenue program.

Advertisement
I got news for you: we are Wake Forest. We've been to the ACCCG once in the last 12 years, the same number of appearances as Wake Forest, UNC and Duke, and one less than Boston College during that period. If you go by ACCCG appearances and major bowl game appearances, Georgia Tech has been a far more successful program than Miami during the past 12 years. Our performance has actually corresponded appropriately with a mediocre revenue program.
Shalala employing Mediocre coaches and not putting money into the program

If remember correctly, Michigan is the only football school in the top ten overall. These schools don't even come close to generating the revenue that some of the Ivy league schools do. Football is not a cash cow, academics is.

If you know the reason then it shouldn't really annoy you.
There are three private schools on the entire list, TCU, USC and ND the rest are huge state schools. We'll never have the base that those schools have, most graduate in one year what Miami does in ten.
TCU is smaller than UM. Last I heard, it was not located on a Texas oil field. What's their secret?

Advertisement

We are not Wake Forest. That is a ludicrous comparison.

Wake Forest didn't have the NCAA crawling up their *** for three plus years as ESPN talking heads and every opposing coach threw around "death penalty".

We still don't even have 85 scholarship players and may not get there until 2020.

If we're anyone we are UNC and Baylor, the last two schools to have a protracted violation investigation. Let's see how long it takes them to get the ship righted.

My guess it will take a lot longer than it's taken us.

Last edited:
TCU is smaller than UM. Last I heard, it was not located on a Texas oil field. What's their secret?

About 70% greater football revenue, or over $23 million more per year, significantly lower cost of operations base, and it’s not really a secret.

I see your point, but no the f'uck we're not!

We’re only Wake Forest if you’re really dumb and superficial. The last 12 years have been as low as we could possibly go...I mean what more could have gone wrong.

From the bad coaches, to the NCAA, to the scholarship sanctions, to all of it happening just at exactly the time when college football was transitioning into a modern era of recruiting, greater emphasis on high revenue contracts, facilities upgrades, etc, and we were staying in place.

Now we’re out of that malaise.

Advertisement
Back