Richest programs in college

If you know the reason then it shouldn't really annoy you.
There are three private schools on the entire list, TCU, USC and ND the rest are huge state schools. We'll never have the base that those schools have, most graduate in one year what Miami does in ten.

Northwestern is private as well.

Advertisement
F the cash figures. The U is loaded down. U health is also a massive enterprise. The school steady got stacks.

In South Florida entertainment dollars are at a got**** premium. We have beautiful weather 11 months out of the year. There's women, the beach, more bars/restaurants/nightclubs than you can ever imagine, boats, year round golf, tennis, pickleball, bocce, biking, family, church, world class shopping, the gym, a pool in everyone's backyard just kicking it.

Even movie theaters don't do as well down here as the entire rest of the country. You can have yourself a pretty fire day for about 8 bucks in S. Fl. If you already got yourself a beach pass and a baddy you in business cuz. That right there is a great day as long as there isn't red tide. There isn't a NEED to go to Hard Rock in the same way there is in Knoxville, Tennessee. In Knoxville if you aren't at the game, you got f all else to do. Maybe cook some meth or something.

Last edited:
To use a B-school term on you, the BATNA to sporting event attendance in South Florida is unbelievable relative to the rest of the world. We're die hards but the team still has to EARN our money. In Oxford, Mississippi or even Tallahassee or Gainesville they have a much more captive audience.

Even in Miami glory days we never been at the top financially in terms of revenue made from programs but it didn’t stop us from being at the top. Our talent base and coaching made us stay up there and I’ll gladly take that over extra resources that schools like Texas a&m, Texas, Notre Dame, uf and others have yet still are trash

Actually, during our early great years we did have a certain edge: TV revenue. NCAA restricted the number of games that could be on TV and we got much more than our share because we were the ratings king. Plus as an independent back then we kept it all, same with the bowl money. That tv edge helpedcrecruiting too. Kids want that camera and we got on the most. Now, high school games are on tv.

Advertisement
F the cash figures. The U is loaded down. U health is also a massive enterprise. The school steady got stacks.

In South Florida entertainment dollars are at a got**** premium. We have beautiful weather 11 months out of the year. There's women, the beach, more bars/restaurants/nightclubs than you can ever imagine, boats, year round golf, tennis, pickleball, bocce, biking, family, church, world class shopping, the gym, a pool in everyone's backyard just kicking it.

Even movie theaters don't do as well down here as the entire rest of the country. You can have yourself a pretty fire day for about 8 bucks in S. Fl. If you already got yourself a beach pass and a baddy you in business cuz. That right there is a great day as long as there isn't red tide. There isn't a NEED to go to Hard Rock in the same way there is in Knoxville, Tennessee. In Knoxville if you aren't at the game, you got f all else to do. Maybe cook some meth or something.

I always think it's funny that people act like there isn't **** else to do in other parts of the country.

The people that show up for games wherever are largely your typical family. People that spend all night out in the club's aren't going to football games. They also tend to be alumni. The avid fisherman is typically on his boat and while it isn't the ocean, there's a lot of fishing that goes on everywhere.

Pools aren't unique to S. Florida either. Women aren't either and they're a lot more approachable and down to Earth most other places.

Football isn't all year and all the way until the really cold weather hits, people are out on the golf course....sometimes in weather I think they're crazy for. These same people go to church, more so than the S. FL cities do. They also have shopping, perhaps not a Chanel, Dolce & Gabana, Gucci, etc but Saks, Macy's, and others will do.

Bottom line, people find things to do everywhere. Most are chasing their kids or grandkids around to various sporting activities. When they can, they'll tailgate their *** off like it's an art form, something S. Floridians are decent at, but not in the same level.

The other key component is sheer number of alumni. That's the biggest factor without question.

Given the Supreme Court case today about sports betting, the money is going to get bigger. Pros are looking to wet their beaks and NCAA will line up too. Pros are looking for 1% scim off the top.

I always think it's funny that people act like there isn't **** else to do in other parts of the country.

The people that show up for games wherever are largely your typical family. People that spend all night out in the club's aren't going to football games. They also tend to be alumni. The avid fisherman is typically on his boat and while it isn't the ocean, there's a lot of fishing that goes on everywhere.

Pools aren't unique to S. Florida either. Women aren't either and they're a lot more approachable and down to Earth most other places.

Football isn't all year and all the way until the really cold weather hits, people are out on the golf course....sometimes in weather so think they're crazy for. These same people go to church, more so than the S. FL cities do. They also have shopping, perhaps not a Chanel, Dolce & Gabana, Gucci, etc but Saks, Macy's, and others will do.

Bottom line, people find things to do everywhere. Most are chasing their kids or grandkids around to various sporting activities. When they can, they'll tailgate their ads off like it's an art form, something S. Floridians are decent at, but not in the same level.

The other key component is sheer number of alumni. That's the biggest factor without question.
I've been around and spent a lot of time in NYC and the burbs.

Nobody is going in a pool past October up north. You'd go broke paying for propane. I lived on a golf course up there. Guys stop playing after Halloween.

I can assure you the women in SFL are unique. The quantity and quality is unmatched here. We got 40-50 year olds looking fire on a regular basis. It's just not like that anywhere else. And the diversity. They grow them special here without a doubt. It's much, much easier to have a fun outdoor day or just an entertaining day here than just about anywhere else on the planet.

Ross himself said the fans here don't show up unless you win big. That's just how it is. And thank God there's so much beauty and fun that surrounds us. In Madison, Wisconsin or Lincoln, Nebraska or Tuscaloosa it just isn't like that.

I think the new ACC contract will give us a boost in revenue ......plus the better we get Adidas will be forced to Pony up......

Advertisement
Some disheartening info in that link right there. I know it's been discussed ad nauseam and I am well aware of the laundry list of reasons, but it still annoys me that for a wealthy private school in Florida we struggle to break even with athletics. I graduated from UM in '97 and have been a lifelong fan. Actually, I went to UM because I was a fan. Watched us dominate in football and baseball for years. Wish we had a more loyal and dedicated fanbase...present company at CIS excluded, of course 😉.

The problem is that those huge state schools produce more alumni in one year than Miami does in four. When you are cranking out alumni, your alumni giving is larger, which helps the bottom line. Remember, a lot of these large state schools are the lifeblood of the entire state in a lot of cases. Therefore, you have an entire state, or part of a state supporting you. Miami doesn't have that, and never will.

Revenues not allocated by gender/sport @ $23,229,323. I'd like to see the data behind that, accounting at it's finest. The U is showing $35,358,218 in rev and $33,018,938 in exp for football. But also that $23,229,323 in not allocated revenue and $24,684,901 in not allocated expenses. There is a lot of unknowns in this data and there is obvious savvy accounting going on here. The short of it is that the U isn't broke and the football program is worth more and brings in more than the $35,358,218 reported (in both not allocated revenue and goodwill).

Do we have an uphill battle against state schools, always have and always will. Are we broke, no. We just funded a $30+ million facility in a short amount of time. It can be done when you have the right people.

Revenues not allocated by gender/sport @ $23,229,323. I'd like to see the data behind that, accounting at it's finest. The U is showing $35,358,218 in rev and $33,018,938 in exp for football. But also that $23,229,323 in not allocated revenue and $24,684,901 in not allocated expenses. There is a lot of unknowns in this data and there is obvious savvy accounting going on here. The short of it is that the U isn't broke and the football program is worth more and brings in more than the $35,358,218 reported (in both not allocated revenue and goodwill).

Do we have an uphill battle against state schools, always have and always will. Are we broke, no. We just funded a $30+ million facility in a short amount of time. It can be done when you have the right people.

You haven’t looked at the breakdowns. It’s there.

We are not Wake Forest. That is a ludicrous comparison.

Wake Forest didn't have the NCAA crawling up their *** for three plus years as ESPN talking heads and every opposing coach threw around "death penalty".

We still don't even have 85 scholarship players and may not get there until 2020.

If we're anyone we are UNC and Baylor, the last two schools to have a protracted violation investigation. Let's see how long it takes them to get the ship righted.

My guess it will take a lot longer than it's taken us.

In the early 90s we got nailed by the NCAA in a real way, with real scholarship losses. The Shapiro stuff was nothing more than an excuse for Al Golden to keep his job for an extra year. We also sucked for a bunch of years before the Shapiro thing. Blaming 12 years of futility on Shapiro is absurd.

Advertisement
We’re only Wake Forest if you’re really dumb and superficial. The last 12 years have been as low as we could possibly go...I mean what more could have gone wrong.

From the bad coaches, to the NCAA, to the scholarship sanctions, to all of it happening just at exactly the time when college football was transitioning into a modern era of recruiting, greater emphasis on high revenue contracts, facilities upgrades, etc, and we were staying in place.

Now we’re out of that malaise.

Your post is a bunch of excuses for a poorly run football program...some of them bull$hit. Scholarship sanctions? Are you talking about 9 lost scholarships over 3 years from Shapirogate? That's not even a slap on the wrist, it's nothing, meaningless.

Like the great Bill Parcells said, you are what your record says you are. End of story.

In the early 90s we got nailed by the NCAA in a real way, with real scholarship losses. The Shapiro stuff was nothing more than an excuse for Al Golden to keep his job for an extra year. We also sucked for a bunch of years before the Shapiro thing. Blaming 12 years of futility on Shapiro is absurd.

We’ll the Shapiro thing broke seven years ago...

But there’s no convincing anyone of your mindset a three year NCAA investigation could possibly affect a program and we’re still not at 85 scholarships in large part because of it.

So I won’t.

But ****, it’s sure an amazing coincidence how two recent conference championships game teams, Baylor and UNC, went 3-19 last year after protracted NCAA problems.

Your post is a bunch of excuses for a poorly run football program...some of them bull$hit. Scholarship sanctions? Are you talking about 9 lost scholarships over 3 years from Shapirogate? That's not even a slap on the wrist, it's nothing, meaningless.

Like the great Bill Parcells said, you are what your record says you are. End of story.

Excuses? You mean facts.

And where did I say things haven’t been poorly run the last 12 years?

It’s just now we’re getting back on track.

But to deny we’re operating at a huge financial disadvantage vs other powerhouses is unrealistic and just plain retarded. It’s something that has to be taken into consideration.

What is your point?

Advertisement
We need our big time alums to give back, the CEO of dealer-tire Scott Mueller donated 1 million 2 years ago. That would sound great if it wasn't for the fact hes a billionaire, and he donated 20 million to Cleveland art museum. My company just donated 100 million to FSU, thankfully it didn't go to athletics but still its 100 million. We need some super generous donations like that.

Excuses? You mean facts.

And where did I say things haven’t been poorly run the last 12 years?

It’s just now we’re getting back on track.

But to deny we’re operating at a huge financial disadvantage vs other powerhouses is unrealistic and just plain retarded. It’s something that has to be taken into consideration.

What is your point?

He has no point.

I would also debate some of those figures but frankly do not care enough to do it.

The if's ands and ors don't matter to me. This year we really should lose 1 maybe 2 tops. Get it done and the money will come with it.

Truly amazing how over that same 12-15 year stretch of dog**** we still maintained top 5 to top 3 most player represented on NFL teams. The Wake Forest statement is dumb as ****.

You haven’t looked at the breakdowns. It’s there.

It doesn't show the full breakdowns of non allocated exp/rev, can you point me to it because I don't see it. If you look back you'll see years ago in the EADA Miami used to show a profit, in this report and now they use GAAP methods to show $0 and have for years now.

Regardless, my point is that Miami football brings in tons of revenue and goodwill that cannot (or sometimes by choice) be tied back to the football program.

Advertisement
Back