Richest programs in college

Advertisement
Clemson is mentioned in the FSU blurb.

Recruiting grounds is what we've got and that's it to our advantage. Hopefully that can cancel out what has become a big business for schools.

When you’re barely breaking even and teams like Alabama and Florida and FSU are not only outspending you in moneys they actually report by millions, on a yearly basis, but outgain you in revenue to the tune of around $50 million yearly, any supposed local recruiting advantage can be overcome.

It’s a money game and it’s a testament to our brand how well we continue to do against these headwinds. It’s actually hard to believe, because if you look at the numbers, we should be getting Wake Forest or GaTech type results.

And this doesn’t even take into consideration the other teams’ more generous fan and booster base.

Go through the numbers in the link provided by @Category69 - they are eye opening.

Advertisement

Some disheartening info in that link right there. I know it's been discussed ad nauseam and I am well aware of the laundry list of reasons, but it still annoys me that for a wealthy private school in Florida we struggle to break even with athletics. I graduated from UM in '97 and have been a lifelong fan. Actually, I went to UM because I was a fan. Watched us dominate in football and baseball for years. Wish we had a more loyal and dedicated fanbase...present company at CIS excluded, of course 😉.

Some disheartening info in that link right there. I know it's been discussed ad nauseam and I am well aware of the laundry list of reasons, but it still annoys me that for a wealthy private school in Florida we struggle to break even with athletics. I graduated from UM in '97 and have been a lifelong fan. Actually, I went to UM because I was a fan. Watched us dominate in football and baseball for years. Wish we had a more loyal and dedicated fanbase...present company at CIS excluded, of course 😉.

Present company at CIS is sadly representative. A low percentage of these clowns attend games, contribute, or support the program in any meaningful way. In fact several actively encourage people not to contribute.

When you’re barely breaking even and teams like Alabama and Florida and FSU are not only outspending you in moneys they actually report by millions, on a yearly basis, but outgain you in revenue to the tune of around $50 million yearly, any supposed local recruiting advantage can be overcome.

It’s a money game and it’s a testament to our brand how well we continue to do against these headwinds. It’s actually hard to believe, because if you look at the numbers, we should be getting Wake Forest or GaTech type results.

And this doesn’t even take into consideration the other teams’ more generous fan and booster base.

Go through the numbers in the link provided by @Category69 - they are eye opening.

For the last 10 years, we have been getting almost exactly GaTech type results:

GT 2008-2017
2008 9-4
2009 11-3
2010 6-7
2011 8-5
2012 7-6
2013 7-6
2014 11-3
2015 3-9
2016 9-4
2017 5-6

UM 2008-2017
2008 7-6
2009 9-4
2010 7-6
2011 6-6
2012 7-5
2013 9-4
2014 6-7
2015 8-5
2016 9-4
2017 10-3

Now there was no 3-9 season for us, but GT won 11 games twice in that span with an Orange Bowl win, and we've broken double digits only last year. Sad, but in the last decade GT is about where we've been as a program, record-wise...

Advertisement

Not sure if you can say Miami just breaks even or not. Private school don't report their revenue in the same capacity as Public schools, and I want to say all those schools on that list were public schools. I'm sure Miami makes a profit from the football program in some capacity, once you combine apparel, licensing and etc. ****, I spent enough money on Drinks at the Notre Dame alone to know they were close lol.

Not sure if you can say Miami just breaks even or not. Private school don't report their revenue in the same capacity as Public schools, and I want to say all those schools on that list were public schools. I'm sure Miami makes a profit from the football program in some capacity, once you combine apparel, licensing and etc. ****, I spent enough money on Drinks at the Notre Dame alone to know they were close lol.

The data is all there so, just use the link.

Pretty unbelievable as you say that we're even remotely competitive given the numbers. For example:

University of Alabama
Recruiting Expenses (men's teams): $2,105,001
Operating Expenses (football): $7,716,404
Total Expenses (football): $62,252,389

Revenues (football): $108,117,057

University of Miami
Recruiting Expenses (men's teams): $1,339,090
Operating Expenses (football): $5,548,650
Total Expenses (football): $33,018,938

Revenues (football): $35,358,218

Pretty unbelievable as you say that we're even remotely competitive given the numbers. For example:

University of Alabama

University of Miami

And our operating base is in a much higher COL location, and we’re not state funded. It makes an enormous difference. All kinds of expenses are defrayed by the state that we pay for, from land to materials, etc.

Advertisement
And our operating base is in a much higher COL location, and we’re not state funded. It makes an enormous difference. All kinds of expenses are defrayed by the state that we pay for, from land to materials, etc.

Absolutely. You can look at things like coaching salaries too and where it looks like we're competitive in $$$ is offset by the fact that Bama's coaches live in Tuscaloosa, and ours live in Miami...

For the last 10 years, we have been getting almost exactly GaTech type results:

GT 2008-2017
2008 9-4
2009 11-3
2010 6-7
2011 8-5
2012 7-6
2013 7-6
2014 11-3
2015 3-9
2016 9-4
2017 5-6

UM 2008-2017
2008 7-6
2009 9-4
2010 7-6
2011 6-6
2012 7-5
2013 9-4
2014 6-7
2015 8-5
2016 9-4
2017 10-3

Now there was no 3-9 season for us, but GT won 11 games twice in that span with an Orange Bowl win, and we've broken double digits only last year. Sad, but in the last decade GT is about where we've been as a program, record-wise...
It hasn’t been because of talent. Miami is top 5 in players on nfl rosters. Our coaching just was ****** period

Texas, Tenn, Meatchicken and ND should be ashamed of themselves, all top 5 and nothing to show for it.

My thought as well. Goes to show that big $$ doesn't always equal on-field success. And on-field success, at least in "college towns", doesn't always lower the bottom line. I'm sure people are buying up Rockytop gear in Knoxville when they're terrible just as much as when they're decent.

Advertisement
Our location (beauty, allure, recruiting), our campus, and most importantly our brand are our saving graces.

But without all those three, and our history, Miami is Wake Forest.

Think about it.

We have to fight a yearly deficit of hundreds of millions vs top 5 programs cumulatively.

We have to sell our “boutique” ethos. Brand, history, location, campus, NFL history (past and present) vs their opulence and bags.

It ain’t easy.

If you know the reason then it shouldn't really annoy you.
There are three private schools on the entire list, TCU, USC and ND the rest are huge state schools. We'll never have the base that those schools have, most graduate in one year what Miami does in ten.

Our location (beauty, allure, recruiting), our campus, and most importantly our brand are our saving graces.

But without all those three, and our history, Miami is Wake Forest.

Think about it.

We have to fight a yearly deficit of hundreds of millions vs top 5 programs cumulatively.

We have to sell our “boutique” ethos. Brand, history, location, campus, NFL history (past and present) vs their opulence and bags.

It ain’t easy.

This is exactly right. I've taught at small private colleges and universities (so glad to be out, BTW) and each one has to have a "brand" to sell or they fold. They have to provide a good reason for mom and dad to spend $40K/year to send their baby to get the same degree you could honestly get for $4K/year (or not at all...)

Obviously football is a different animal, but the principle of private schools having to work harder - and more creatively - than public schools for every dollar rings true here, IMO.

University of Alabama

University of Miami

Alabama's foundation is also paying between $2.5M and $3.0M in illicit cash payments to recruits, which UM cannot do. 'Bama "boosters" also supply plane trips, helicopter rides, other cash payments, etc... directly to football during the season!

Advertisement
Back