Rhett Lashlee - Brent Venables

Venebles already downplaying...

The way I read that is “I’m sure these guys could be much better but I’m not sure what I need to do to get them there” I don’t read “these guys are going to be my best defense ever”

Advertisement
The way I read that is “I’m sure these guys could be much better but I’m not sure what I need to do to get them there” I don’t read “these guys are going to be my best defense ever”

Ditto. I just question if he really means it or if it's just coach speak.

Bad competition but 13 points allowed through two games.

I’m willing to bet Lashlee prepares his *** off for the next 2 weeks and coaches like his career depends on it. He knows this a resume game for him, and I expect him to prove he’s in the top tier of CFB OCs.

My nipples got pointy...

5B1C07FD-4F32-48A3-8D1A-A6C108648A57.jpeg

Advertisement
Lashlee went against Clemson back in 2016 with auburn. Lost 13-19. He is battle tested, he was the OC for auburn 2013-2016.
didn't Malzahn call plays, not Lashlee? That is why he left Auburn basically.

didn't Malzahn call plays, not Lashlee? That is why he left Auburn basically.
Went back n forth. Malzahn originally called plays, didnt want to give it up.. Things got stale, then went to lashlee, things improved for like 5 games then he went on lashlee, Malzahn seat got hot, he took back control (malzahn system got stale in passing game).. then Lashlee bounced, went to uconn, imporved them from 100s to mid 50 level, then went to smu and learned dark arts of air raid to compliment to strength of Malzahn system..

Advertisement
I'll bet on Lashlee versus Venables.

It's Elliot versus Baker...and their talent versus our talent...that I'm worried about.

However, this is the first time I actually feel like we have a chance versus Clemson. It's refreshing.
I know you are a D guy but was surprised by this.. Still feel this way? Venables is best in biz

The scary thing about Venebles is that he knew our weaknesses better than our own coaches did. I don't know if that's a case of him just being the best in the business or our coaches thinking because it works against our defense so it'll work against Clemson. You really couldn't have coached a better defensive game plan even if you were in our huddle hearing what we're going to do.

Advertisement
So did he just stack the box and tell his DB’s to cover 1 on 1?
Havent watched the game again, not sure when or if.. but Venables mixes his fronts and coverages so you would have to see if you can get espn skycam or all 22 or something to know for sure.. Just off memory I saw a ton of 3 man lines with aggressive lb playing downhill.. They looked to be in a 4i tite look to take away the iz run and we still ran that play.. Also saw them bring 6 a couple times with middle of field wide open but we never attacked it.. They gave up alot of 5-10 come back routes but since we had negative plays to start most drives we couldnt capitalize on them

Oline was a mess, if someone wasnt false starting they were getting **** pushed in.

Dabo in his presser said they played 3 man front majority of game with an extra DB to put more speed on field for King..

Last edited:
The scary thing about Venebles is that he knew our weaknesses better than our own coaches did. I don't know if that's a case of him just being the best in the business or our coaches thinking because it works against our defense so it'll work against Clemson. You really couldn't have coached a better defensive game plan even if you were in our huddle hearing what we're going to do.
Venables is like Darth Vader bro! Straight up gangsta!

Rhett Lashlee doesn’t need to convince me anymore. I am onboard and I am a believer 100%!

However, he about to get his first in game test (mentally) in two weeks in the form of Brent Venables.

Looking forward to it!
Lashlee stumbled big time

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back