Rex Ryan

Not exactly.

He never actually coached at Kansas State.

Two of his years were as a grad assistant.

At most, he spent 7 years in a position where he would have had recruiting duties, the last of which was 23 years ago. Is that the profile you want as a head coach of a P5 college program?
Did I say I wanted him as HC? Read the response. He said 0 track record. Even a GA is a college track record.

Even i did want him… a 2X nfl head coach isn’t good enough to coach at Miami? Find that hard to believe

Advertisement
A disaster of a HC? He led the Jets to 2 consecutive AFC championships with Mark Sanchez as QB and was in playoffs 3 years straight...defenses were **** good and just didn't have the QB to take him higher.
Anyone who questions him as a defensive mind might as well get off any forum...Ed Reed himself played for him and knows how great a D whiz that Rex is.
You realize that its 2021 right? A defensive whiz that has always been **** near anti offense and "Ground and Pound" isn't winning a **** thing. Look at his time with the Bills. Those Jets runs were proven to be flukes, they never even came close to reaching those heights again with him. Never mind the fact that his weirdness and nonsense isnt going to play in living rooms.

There's a reason why people aren't lining up to hire him to an NFL gig right now. He's a gimmick.

Did I say I wanted him as HC? Read the response. He said 0 track record. Even a GA is a college track record.

Even i did want him… a 2X nfl head coach isn’t good enough to coach at Miami? Find that hard to believe

Fair enough regarding his track record.

I believe Rex Ryan would fail thoroughly at Miami, and have no hesitation saying so. The fact that he- or anyone else- was a head coach in the NFL has little (if any) bearing on his qualification to lead a college program.

A disaster of a HC? He led the Jets to 2 consecutive AFC championships with Mark Sanchez as QB and was in playoffs 3 years straight...defenses were **** good and just didn't have the QB to take him higher.
Anyone who questions him as a defensive mind might as well get off any forum...Ed Reed himself played for him and knows how great a D whiz that Rex is.
Again, how does this qualify him- or anyone else with a similar resume- to lead a college football program? Especially one in a rebuild.

Advertisement
Ya think? Lol
bETsD0zXzX5pyxTP6uenjUL71CG1L0FEb3C0h9BFHAztQPoPnxurj5WLBvYKhiPa_vC6AeDidLXi_r9CoLby-EleFNffLjD_3lazPIu3MEbD7cv34pyKg3gEfuYBm4c9EGyoa-5w6cPSOmHwU3Qm3HxIPV4

RandyShannon.jpg

aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29tL2h1cnJpY2FuZXNwb3J0cy1jb20vMjAxNS8xMC84OWNmYjI0NS1taWRkbGVfa3dzY2dleW1paGJ4a2JhLjIwMTIwNzI3MTY0MTMwLmpwZWc.jpg

fl-1546298891-a6k7e2xwiy-snap-image
Underrated post.

Fair enough regarding his track record.

I believe Rex Ryan would fail thoroughly at Miami, and have no hesitation saying so. The fact that he- or anyone else- was a head coach in the NFL has little (if any) bearing on his qualification to lead a college program.
Agree to disagree. You can always get good recruiters on staff. I want a coach who knows the game of football and can coach his guys up. Not saying I’m necessarily pulling for Rex but I’d bet a large portion of former NFL head coaches who went to college were successful. Don’t know the numbers I’m guessing. Off the top of my head Saban, Carroll, Schiano, Harbaugh, Herm Edward’s

Advertisement
Agree to disagree. You can always get good recruiters on staff. I want a coach who knows the game of football and can coach his guys up. Not saying I’m necessarily pulling for Rex but I’d bet a large portion of former NFL head coaches who went to college were successful. Don’t know the numbers I’m guessing. Off the top of my head Saban, Carroll, Schiano, Harbaugh, Herm Edward’s
Greg Schiano, Jim Harbaugh, and Nick Saban were college head coaches before going to the NFL. All three have spent comparatively little time in the NFL compared to college. Not sure how these names help your argument.

Pete Carroll would be by far the best example to actually lend credence to your argument.

Herm Edwards? I assume you're joking.

We will definitely have to disagree.

See, any of those names you mentioned would have done a better job than Coker, Shannon, Golden and Manny Diaz. Just pause for a minute and think.
Other than Saban and Carrol, probably none of them would have given us a championship............but we would have been in a better shape than what we have been in the last 20 years and had less feeling of misery.

I agree that not every NFL head coach is suited for college. But players' development, football IQ and the connections to wide range of assistants will vastly improve. No more Banda's and HS coaches experiments.

I'm not advocating for Rex Ryan. Just comparing him and other NFL coaches to what we had in the last 20 years.

Just wanted to throw that name in the hat as a possibility. Seemed to have some ex-player support and of course ties with Ed Reed. Allegedly interested in the job after Richt retired. Certainly has a big personality and would fit in with the culture. Of course changes would need to be made with AD as well for this to have any feasibility. Name hasn't really been brought up so was wondering what you guys thought about him?
I would take him over anyone we had except for Richt at full health.

He would be an upgrade. Make his buyout small, unless he has two consecutive bowl wins and division titles.

Advertisement

"Fit in with the culture."

What on earth does that mean?

I know that term gets over used. I will go with what Alonzo himself said that a successful coach at Miami has got to have a big personality. In that regards he checks that box.

I want zero player input. idc who it is. I want a competent making a competent hire with zero input from guys who played for x or y
Actually, I will go a step further...I want somebody the older players don't want.

While a COMPLETELY different situation of course for obvious reasons, when interviewing for the job post-Butch and the players rallied for Coker, it was because it was comfortable for them, not maybe what was best long term for the program. At the time, nobody cared because Coker was a **** of a nice guy, he was a solid coordinator and we knew how great the squad was and didn't necessarily want to rock the boat or change the continuity. Looking back, maybe it wasn't the best long term, and that team was SO great, maybe there wasn't anything that could have derailed them except themselves as I almost witnessed in Chestnut Hill.

This train has been derailed for so long now that we truly need somebody that will come in and shake **** up.

Why does everyone love the thought of Highsmith coming in based off of his work in the NFL while hating the idea of a head coach coming in based off of his work in the NFL?

There's probably way more overlap in coaching than with an AD/NFL football exec.

Advertisement

I think what you're overlooking is that college football is totally different animal than NFL, and in many ways the college game is more complex than NFL for a HC, as he has to deal with many off-field issues including recruiting, player's academics, dealing with boosters and, unlike NFL, you have a finite number of full-time coaches allowed on staff....lots of seemingly "overqualified" NFL coaches have taken a stab at the game only to get humbled, and often unceremoniously fired...look at Al Groh with his Parcells/Bellichik connections, same with Dan Henning, Charlie Weiss, Monte Kiffin, Mike Sherman, John Bunting, Paul Hackett, Jim Mora,etc...of course there are exceptions like Jim Harbaugh and, to be fair, Herm Edwards is approaching his job with respect to the college game, hiring many college coaches...but history has not been kind to NFL coaches in the college game....I don't get the infatuation with a coach just because he coached on Sundays.

Greg Schiano, Jim Harbaugh, and Nick Saban were college head coaches before going to the NFL. All three have spent comparatively little time in the NFL compared to college. Not sure how these names help your argument.

Pete Carroll would be by far the best example to actually lend credence to your argument.

Herm Edwards? I assume you're joking.

We will definitely have to disagree.
The names were people who came to college from nfl off the top of my head. Not referring to their successes.

Herm Edward's team looks pretty good out at Arizona St. I watched their game against Stanford last week. they are a good looking team.

He has been smart insofar as the type of staff he has put together. But many former NFL HCs don't seem to have the wherewithal and vision to do the same.

I think what you're overlooking is that college football is totally different animal than NFL, and in many ways the college game is more complex than NFL for a HC, as he has to deal with many off-field issues including recruiting, player's academics, dealing with boosters and, unlike NFL, you have a finite number of full-time coaches allowed on staff....lots of seemingly "overqualified" NFL coaches have taken a stab at the game only to get humbled, and often unceremoniously fired...look at Al Groh with his Parcells/Bellichik connections, same with Dan Henning, Charlie Weiss, Monte Kiffin, Mike Sherman, John Bunting, Paul Hackett, Jim Mora,etc...of course there are exceptions like Jim Harbaugh and, to be fair, Herm Edwards is approaching his job with respect to the college game, hiring many college coaches...but history has not been kind to NFL coaches in the college game....I don't get the infatuation with a coach just because he coached on Sundays.
I’m not saying every HC would be successful. But you’d be very, very surprised how much more a lot nfl coaches know than college coaches. Ik a coach personally who spent time in college before nfl, came back to college was in the big 10. He said it was embarrassing how bad OCs were and how they didn’t know how to attack a defense.

Advertisement
Back