Rewatch

The holding call on Mahoney that negated a beautiful 3rd down throw/conversion to Wiggins was complete, total, and utter bull****. You could argue that if that call isn't made, and 1000000 times out of 1000000 it should NOT have been made, Perry stays in the game for the duration.

That one call really significantly changed the game.

Advertisement
Advertisement
The holding call on Mahoney that negated a beautiful 3rd down throw/conversion to Wiggins was complete, total, and utter bull****. You could argue that if that call isn't made, and 1000000 times out of 1000000 it should NOT have been made, Perry stays in the game for the duration.

This call sucked as bad as the holding call on that Walton TD run vs FSU in 2016. And that 2016 call wiped out one of the greatest TD runs in CFB history.

This call sucked as bad as the holding call on that Walton TD run vs FSU in 2016. And that 2016 call wiped out one of the greatest TD runs in CFB history.

The Walton hold was much more of a hold than the one on Mahoney. That could actually be argued that it was a ticky-tack call, but one that is occasionally made. The problem was that it was on the other side of the play and had zero impact in the outcome. The one on Mahoney was absolutely not a hold in any alternate universe.

I'm pretty close with an NCAA official, he's young and working his way up so he's a Line Judge in the MEAC right now and we speak often about the nuances of refereeing. He's told me every play is analyzed by the head of officials and you're graded on penalties you do AND do not throw. He told me that if, for example, he's the Line Judge on the right side of the field, and a quick screen is thrown to the left, and he throws a flag on someone right in front of him that is not incredibly, excessively blatant, he's dinged for that. The officials only want to impact the game if the foul directly impacts the play, which of course makes sense. I just thought it was pretty cool that they coach these guys to stay out of the way as much as possible.

But then again, Jeff Flanagan threw that flag. He and his crew are widely known as some of the worst officials in the country.

Advertisement

This x 1000000000000

If someone can explain to me why refs call holding on pancake blocks that would be great

The Walton hold was much more of a hold than the one on Mahoney. That could actually be argued that it was a ticky-tack call, but one that is occasionally made. The problem was that it was on the other side of the play and had zero impact in the outcome. The one on Mahoney was absolutely not a hold in any alternate universe.

I'm pretty close with an NCAA official, he's young and working his way up so he's a Line Judge in the MEAC right now and we speak often about the nuances of refereeing. He's told me every play is analyzed by the head of officials and you're graded on penalties you do AND do not throw. He told me that if, for example, he's the Line Judge on the right side of the field, and a quick screen is thrown to the left, and he throws a flag on someone right in front of him that is not incredibly, excessively blatant, he's dinged for that. The officials only want to impact the game if the foul directly impacts the play, which of course makes sense. I just thought it was pretty cool that they coach these guys to stay out of the way as much as possible.

But then again, Jeff Flanagan threw that flag. He and his crew are widely known as some of the worst officials in the country.
Yes, it was a ticky tack call, and the Mahoney hold is egregious considering what is not called on the defense leading the NCAA in TFLs.

Look, the first fücking issue was hiring a dude with the first name Stacy...and then expect this pudding pop to be an Alpha Dog...

He didn't learn from his mistake and hired a guy named Jess Simpson. Only joking though. I like simpson, but seriously half the staff has bltch names.

Advertisement
It disgusts me seeing Jones still playing literally a waste of a body ... I keep getting *****ed at since day 1 for saying Mahoney is a jag, I mean for ffs there are kids in highschool bigger than him

Did you see him get blown up by the toothpick linebacker from UVA? The guy is 100 pounds less than Mahoney and he literally throws him back 2 yards in the air.
Heres the play if you missed it.

No he doesn’t have a point. If we were to talking about losing to Bama or someone w more talent than us, he would have a point. But don’t lose to a team w significantly less talent and then tell me it’s because u need better players. How much of a talent advantage does richt need?

This is the same team that their own coach said "I believe we have 27 ACC-caliber football players on our roster today,". Richt is in year 3 if he has less than 27 acc-caliber player on our roster than we are in BIG trouble. This is the same team that all off season we said Bronco would be on the hot seat because he is having so much trouble with recruiting.

Did you see him get blown up by the toothpick linebacker from UVA? The guy is 100 pounds less than Mahoney and he literally throws him back 2 yards in the air.

God**** bro it’s ******* uva man so sad our oline throughout um history should never be blown up like that

Advertisement

Literally it makes me physically upset seeing that, I’m a fan of a lot of teams nothing gets me tilted like Miami losing ... especially when they shouldn’t

God**** bro it’s ******* uva man so sad our oline throughout um history should never be blown up like that

I couldn't believe it bro. I also couldn't believe that stickman was actually on the field and not playing basketball so I had to look up his stats. the kid is 6'7 215 lbs. That is skinny even for a basketball player and you know they gave him an extra 10 pounds, after he had a massive breakfast, and wearing his baggiest clothes.

Finally someone analyzed the play correctly instead of just trashing the player. The kid made a Great block that was key to the play and got jobbed by the official. It had a huge effect on the game.

Advertisement
Back