Rewatch

Advertisement
So have any of yall rewatched the game?

I'm currently rewatching it again, and quite honestly the decision to bench Perry is even stupider an inexplicable than I originally thought. This is just plain ******* retarded. He had 4 drives that stalled, but only the two ******* picks were bad passes. Then Rosier comes in and just ******* sucks. There was absolutely no reason not to go back to Perry after Rosier sucked the rest of the 1st half. Also its not even like Perry was complete garbage when he was in either. He made some nice throws. Obviously the 2 picks were very bad, but Richt said the 2nd pick wasn't his fault. Which just makes this **** even more infuriating.

Honestly the biggest problem is still the OLine, Special Teams, and ******* penalties. Literally penalties were a killer for us this game. Perry's 2nd drive (1st one ended cause the OLine can't block) he hits a 3rd down pass to Wiggins but it was holding so it brought it back. Then on defense we get a Targeting call which is the only reason they were able to get in range for that first score.

Our defense was ******* dominant. The Penalties and ultimately Personnel decisions ****ed us hard. And this isn't even really *****ing about the play calling either. I'm totally on board with wanting an OC (maybe fire Jon Richt and hire a QB/OC!!!!), but honestly the plays could have still ******* worked if 1) Richt didn't ******* pull Perry and put in Rosier who is complete garbage of a QB except for when he runs, and 2) The OLine didn't ******* suck so hard. Seriously Jahair Jones, Hayden Mahoney should NOT see any ******* PT the rest of the year. IDGAF if you have to put true freshman in, they ******* suck and are right there with Rosier and Knowles as Old guys who ******* suck and make their entire unit suck along with them. Seriously its ******* insanely retarded to play guys like Mahoney/Jones over Scaife (and slide Donaldson down), Knowles over Hall/Carter (even though Carter misses hella tackles), Rosier over Perry/Jarren/Weldon/DEEJAY/orLITERALLY ANYONE THAT CAN THROW A BALL.

I guess the biggest problem I have rewatching this game is not the play calling or even the coaching in general, its the ******* personnel decision making. Its like these dumbasses are ******* blind to talent, and are literally just playing the more experienced player simply because they are older. Why the **** is Jahair Jones and Hayden Mahoney getting reps when they get blown off the ******* ball or miss a block 10x a ******* game! Gauthier is getting ******* worked half the game too when it comes to run blocking. It just doesn't make any sense. Give Reed some ******* PT, make Boulware the full time starter! Keep Scaife at OT so Donaldson can play OG! ******* do something, stop putting the same JAGs on the ******* field and suddenly expect the run game to open up. Could the offense be a lot more creative and feature better play calling? YES, but ******* if have guys in that ******* suck they're gunna find a way to **** the play up regardless if it was a perfect play call or not.
Perry only had 1 pick against UVA that was his fault. On the 2nd pick, Perry said post game that he thought the receiver was going to break right. Perry throws with anticipation (i.e. ball is on the way before the receiver breaks on his route) I read on another website from a staff article that Richt said the 2nd interception was not Perry's fault. As I have stated in other posts, Perry's only mistake on that 1st Int was not seeing the safety camping in the middle of the field. He saw his WR wide open the ball was accurate on the mark, but the safety was reading him the whole way for an easy pick. That was his only mistake. It looked worse than it really was. A mistake that every QB makes even the pros.

So, it was definitely an overreaction by Richt. It was Richt's worse game as a coach here at UM. Bad play calling. Bad decision making not putting Perry back in the game. I thought at minimum, Perry would have started the 2nd half after settling down. Now Richt has created a problem of Perry now worrying about making mistakes and being pulled. That's no way for any player to play the game. Why didn't he start pulling lineman out of the game when they played so badly? Richt should know better. Perry needs his complete trust. Right now he is the future. Could be Williams down the road, but it's Perry's show now. I don't think starting Rosier would win anymore games than Perry can. Need to build for 2019 and 2020. I am not throwing away the season. I just think we will win the same number of games or more with Perry. So, let him get the experience and develop. The kid has all the tools. He just needs playing time.

It will be interesting to see who gets the start against BC. Rosier is a competitor, but after watching the game again and seeing some of the plays in slow motion, it was pretty clear that Rosier could have had 3-4 interceptions. He really only had 1 good drive and that was due to short passes, screen passes, and him running the ball. Whoever gets the start at QB against BC should tell us where Richt's mindset is.

Honestly you have a point
No he doesn’t have a point. If we were to talking about losing to Bama or someone w more talent than us, he would have a point. But don’t lose to a team w significantly less talent and then tell me it’s because u need better players. How much of a talent advantage does richt need?

Or you could be a real fan, give the coach time to replace the old regime's players with his guys, not encourage fans to fly banners and other silliness, and let him do his **** job. If you read my prior posts, given red shirts I felt Randy Shannon deserved five years because that is how long it takes for a coach to rebuild a program that is down to Golden level. Players commit to universities and Universities commit to players. It is a two way street. When a University makes a coaching change, it is not like the NFL. You don't cut a player because you have benefited, legally, from certain anti-trust laws with the sports exemption. The NCAA knows that. So yeeha, it is easy to rage how much you hate coaches, how you will have to endure being drunk for years, or maybe, as a human being, you sometimes have to acknowledge that when we fired Golden, and it was totally the right thing to do, there are consequences to that decision. Meaning, it takes time for the new coach to recruit and replace mistakes from the prior regime. That is all I am saying.

I also want to say this to you. I have read your posts for years. I respect your opinion. I absolutely agree Butch should have been hired over Richt. In fact, if Richt wasn't fired by Georgia, I think the U would have been forced, by the fan base, to bring him back. I also would say I agree he deserved that chance. But at this point, despite Butch being a football God, that ship has sailed for both of us. So we can either continue *****ing about what might have been or accept the reality that Richt needs time to replace the roster. I would, and did give Butch that when he rebuilt the roster in the late 1990's. I am willing to give Richt time to do so but not too much time, and he does need to change the concept on offense. You just hate that anyone other than Butch was hired and I totally get that. But at some point, as a true fan, we need to do what is right for the program and recognize the reality of our situation. We just have to give it time and not try to destroy what is being built. I haven't seen a Canes defense like this since Butch. I think Richt can get it done but we will see. There just isn't enough junior or senior leadership on offense right now to get the job done. JMO.
It’s been 3 years, and richt is failing in the same way Golden did. It’s unaceptable.

How much of a talent advantage does richt need to win anyway?

Advertisement
To answer your first question, no. **** no.

Now a couple questions for you...
  1. Why do you inflict pain on yourself?
  2. What’d you think about that long run Homer broke where it seemed he was gone, then slowed up and got caught from behind? If I’m not mistaken, 4 extra points would have been quite helpful to have in this game. I said at the time it almost looked like point shaving, half jokingly. Curious if it looks as bad as I remembered on the rewatch.
I can't completely tell but I think thats just a combo of the Corner having a good angle and honestly maybe Homer not seeing him and thinking he had to put the burners on. I think he thought he was in the clear.....or maybe he was just tired, idk, he did run like 70 yards.

I mean a corner starting on the opposite side of the field but 10 yrds deep and already sprinting towards the endzone (to take a good angle on a big run), its not all that crazy that a fast corner could run him down. I mean that CB was already probably taking his angle when Homer was still getting around the last defender in his path to the outside before he even cut it up.

Sometimes doing what’s right for the program is call out things:

Losing to LSU, OK. Losing to FSU, I’ll take that, maybe. Losing to Clemson? Absolutely. Losing to Pitt, or UVA? Unacceptable.

I would agree w u, if the defense was struggling. U see, our problem w Golden wasn’t the offense; it was the defense. So how is it w “Golden’s” players our defense has become elite, but not the O? Furthermore, every single Jr on this team have been coached by Richt & Staff, only. The Sr’s have had 3 yrs of coaching.

How does a team full of 4 star guys continually lose to teams full of 2 and 3 stars?
I’ll go. Coaching?

Advertisement
I can't completely tell but I think thats just a combo of the Corner having a good angle and honestly maybe Homer not seeing him and thinking he had to put the burners on. I think he thought he was in the clear.....or maybe he was just tired, idk, he did run like 70 yards.

I mean a corner starting on the opposite side of the field but 10 yrds deep and already sprinting towards the endzone (to take a good angle on a big run), its not all that crazy that a fast corner could run him down. I mean that CB was already probably taking his angle when Homer was still getting around the last defender in his path to the outside before he even cut it up.

It’s just not often Homer gets run down like that. Usually, if he’s even, he’s gone. Definitely seemed like he slowed up, but yeah, probably just tired and maybe didn’t see the guy.

To answer your first question, no. **** no.

Now a couple questions for you...
  1. Why do you inflict pain on yourself?
  2. What’d you think about that long run Homer broke where it seemed he was gone, then slowed up and got caught from behind? If I’m not mistaken, 4 extra points would have been quite helpful to have in this game. I said at the time it almost looked like point shaving, half jokingly. Curious if it looks as bad as I remembered on the rewatch.
Unfreakingbelievable that someone would think Homer slowed down!!

Dude, #34 ,from UVA looked like he shot out of a rocket and ran Homer down with ease.

I guess this goes with the whole orange and green attitude to never give the opponent any credit.

So maybe two more years and we won't get embarrassed by teams like ******?

Cool. I guess I'll just get drunk in the mean time.

Yep, excuse next year will be we are young. We gotta give Richt 6+ years to rebuild the roster before we can beat the likes of VA and Pitt.

Only complaint I have on our defense was we didn't spy the QB. He hardly ever had anywhere to pass and we would be in an all out blitz. He would simply tuck and run, especially on 3rd and medium/short and get the first down. He must have done it 5 times in the game to extend drives. Our defense was great, 231 yds of offense given up. But the lack of a spy hurt us.

Advertisement
Only complaint I have on our defense was we didn't spy the QB. He hardly ever had anywhere to pass and we would be in an all out blitz. He would simply tuck and run, especially on 3rd and medium/short and get the first down. He must have done it 5 times in the game to extend drives. Our defense was great, 231 yds of offense given up. But the lack of a spy hurt us.

Our LBs and DEs we’re losing contain

Advertisement
I was at the game and Perry deserved to continue playing. I posted this information in another thread that I have copied and pasted below. What everyone needs to understand is that the rebuild is not complete especially on the offensive side of the ball. This is about the juniors and seniors on the team. Some of those players red shirted on the offensive side especially. In my opinion, there are about 15 guys overall who are juniors and seniors who Golden recruited that just are not the type of elite players we need.

"A college football team is only as good as the recruits especially the Juniors and Seniors. Here are ours. I count a minimum of 15 players who were not Miami players. You think Banners don't matter? Explain why these were the best we got. And remember most of these guys redshirted.

Here is the offensive recruits we got during the banner era most of whom red shirted.

Malik Rosier, QB, Sr, Crispian Atkins, RB, Jr, Trayon Gray, RB, Sr, Travis Homer, RB, JR, Chad Allen, WR, Sr, Lawrence Cager, WR, Jr, Michael Irvin II, TE, JR, Venzelle Boulware, OL, JR, Tyler Gauthier, OL, SR, George Brown JR, OL, JR, Jahair Jones, OL. SR, Hayden Mahoney, OL, JR, Bar Milo, OL, JR, Tyree St Louis, OL, SR.

On the defensive side it is better but not much.

Pat Bethel, DL, JR, Demetrius Jackson, DL, SR, Joe Jackson, DL, SR, John O'Boyle, DL, SR, Tito Odenigbo, SR (transfer) , Scott Patchan, DL, JR, Gerald Willis, DL, SR (transfer), Zach McCloud, LB, JR, Terry McCray, LB, SR, Charles Perry, LB, SR, (no longer on team), Michale Pinkney, LB, SR, Shaq Quarterman, LB. SR, Mike Smith, LB, SR, Romeo Finley, DB, JR, Michael Jackson, DB, SR, Jaquan Johnson, DB, SR, Robert Knowles, DB, JR, Tyler Murphy, DB, SR, Sheldrick Redwin, DB, SR, James Murphy, S, JR.

Special Teams.

Marco Baez, PK, JR, Alejandro Cardenas, PK, SR, Jack Spicer, P, JR, Jordan Butler, LS, SR, Sam York, LS, SR. "

So watching the game in person, it is clear the defense who benefited from Shaq, Pink, and McCloud being firm commits despite Golden leaving, is ahead of the game talent wise than the offense. OL need the red shirt to beef up or be busts. I think we had more misses there than hits. So, despite the play calling issues, there is a bigger talent issue because you really need juniors and seniors to make plays when they are able. We don't have that on the offensive side of the ball. We made the commitment to them when they signed with us when few wanted to and so we kind of stuck to letting them get their degrees before we sign better talent when their schollys are over.

does that mean UVA has better talent than us?

I watched it again....hard to stomach....
Terrible F-ing playcalling....last time I saw a UM team run directly into the opposing teams strength so much, was never......

No he doesn’t have a point. If we were to talking about losing to Bama or someone w more talent than us, he would have a point. But don’t lose to a team w significantly less talent and then tell me it’s because u need better players. How much of a talent advantage does richt need?

Honestly, for what he is trying to run, a boarderline NFL team that barely makes any mistakes and has such an overwhelming talent advantage that it doesn't matter if the defense is prepared and anticipating the play.

This is basically 2003. A top defense and a completely vanilla and inept offense that refuses to help it's players at all. Though I'll admit 2003 was a little more adept at getting Winslow the touches.

I just pray something changes. A blow out win vs BC would help sooth some of the pain but a loss to that UVA team just flat out cannot happen. Our defense crushed them. If the offense even had a slight pulse we would have won by at least 10.

Advertisement
Back