Reports say Tate didn’t show for practice today

Have you ever seen a coach give a guy a day off because he lost a job. You’re reaching. A coach will say you lost the job now get back to work son. Because u never know what’s gonna happen.
Possibly. I'd say that the coaching staff giving Martell special treatment, especially after not naming him the starter is a hellova reach too.

Advertisement
According to Ivins, he missed practice yesterday but was at a team meeting after practice & addressed the team about a situation he was going through.

He's going to be at practice today, but is not available for Canes Media day.

My personal take, unless you were excused by the HC to miss practice or some unexpected tragedy happened (like death in the family) there's no excuse to miss practice.

Diaz said he's good & still on the team, so it's water under the bridge, but just IMHO missing practice is unacceptable unless there's a really good reason for it.

According to Ivins, he missed practice yesterday but was at a team meeting after practice & addressed the team about a situation he was going through.

My personal take, unless you were excused by the HC to miss practice or some unexpected tragedy happened (like death in the family) there's no excuse to miss practice.

Diaz said he's good & still on the team, so it's water under the bridge, but just IMHO missing practice is unacceptable unless there's a really good reason.

He likely was excused. You might think his reasoning is suspect but I don't think Martell just didn't show up and the staff was surprised by his absence if Diaz isn't ****ed about it. We know Diaz is all about keeping talent on the roster or Jeff Thomas wouldn't still be here.

Diaz said he's good & still on the team, so it's water under the bridge, but just IMHO missing practice is unacceptable unless there's a really good reason for it.
read Diaz gave him the day off to shoulder the news, still weak imo.

I am sure that’s why he had to address the team about his situation, to explain to the team why he missed.

Players have forgiveness for each other, just like the whole JT situation last year. Too bad fans don’t!

Advertisement

I agree it’s weak if he needed the day to pout. Who does that?

No excuse.

But it’s over and time to move on.

This generation lives on social media famehood, it’s their legal tender. Him more than most. And although I never followed him, I know him, his sister, etc were social media wunderkinds.

I personally don’t think it’s healthy when overdone, but I don’t want to sound like a “get of my lawn” guy because I come from a generation prior to the twitter instagram generation.

Kosi and a few of the other guys are pretty active on it too.

My theory is that too much time in the instant gratification bubble of social media makes one less capable of dealing with disappointment. Maybe that was the issue yesterday. Who knows.

U purposely skipped an occurrence. A player lost a job, *didn’t show up for practice*, and is getting light backlash for it for the first time on this very thread. That’s off the field behavior and indiscretion. We should be taking about Jarren, our game plan, preparation and the first game. Not this distraction and mess.
Yet here you are, trolling in a thread about Tate.

I feel really bad for the kid but I really hope he doesn’t quit and keeps fighting.. He can still get some packages to get in and may even end up being a great slot receiver if he gives it a shot
If I may ask- What gives you the inclination that Tate would make a great slot receiver? Kid didn't win the QB competition, but we should be supporting him at his position not prophesying greatness at another position. We have better players at Slot than QB per se, yet you through your statement believe he'll see the field at slot and become great.

Advertisement
We don't know if he was offered a day off too. Maybe the coaches sat down the three QBs, said "Jarren is going to be our starter, if you other guys need to take a day, go ahead". Maybe Kosi was like "nah, I'll go to practice". Who knows? I'm not a huge Tate Martell fan but I find it hard to believe that the coaches have some kind of conspiracy to give one player a day off and not allow the other guy the same.

That doesn’t make sense to me.

Why give either potential back up to a starter with no experience a day off when everyone else is working? Tate or N’Kosi could end up in the game quick, whether injury or poor play.

It’s less than two weeks before the season opener. My guess is he flipped and Manny didn’t overreact. Told him to go cool off and come back ready.

If I may ask- What gives you the inclination that Tate would make a great slot receiver? Kid didn't win the QB competition, but we should be supporting him at his position not prophesying greatness at another position. We have better players at Slot than QB per se, yet you through your statement believe he'll see the field at slot and become great.
Especially with the OLine issues that we have! Depth at QB could become an issue if the tackles can’t get there **** together!

Breaking news! This just out for y’all with digital myopia: Out of 80+ on the roster, only the best 22 will start. 11 on O, 11 on D, plus K & P. ST is open for those willing to prove they can take/give one for the team.

Advertisement
A lot of quick quarterbacks have come out and switched to receiver and then done great like Julian Edelman, Terrell Pryor, Randel-el, Kordell Stewart.. I just think he’s a good enough athlete to follow their footsteps

I'm actually glad he (potentially) got ****ed and even tore into his locker. It means he actually gives a ****. Think of all the games where Miami gave up to way less talented teams the past decade or so. I'd take the frustration/freakouts from players giving it their all and coming up short over kids who fold when another team doesn't just lay down for them.

If all this is true, you’re giving him way too much credit. He can be upset about losing the starting position but it has nothing to do with team success.

Yeah. None of those places has a QB waiting or practicing to get the job. They will just hand it to Tate. Yeah right!

research UCF's and UCLA's roster an tell me who in 2020 would be a better option than Tate. UCF has no QB starter for 2019 and for 2020 there won't be a returning starter..

Go Canes

Advertisement

esp since kosi didnt miss practice. it was a tough day for him, but it was for perry, as well. gotta show up and keep working.

I like that Manny seems to be from the Jimmy Johnson school of discipline:

Johnson: "Well, Colin, we wouldn’t accept that. And let me explain myself: It’s been misconstrued a little bit as far as my approach to players. I always said there’s a different standard for all the players. Every year I told the guys I said, ‘Listen, I’m going to be very consistent. I’m going to treat everyone of you differently. And how I treat you is: Do you abide by the rules and regulations? Do you do what we ask you to do? And, are you a good player?’ For instance I said maybe I might cut John Roper for sleeping in a meeting, you know, because he was not a good player, he was late to a lot of meetings and he did things that we didn’t want him to. Where as if Troy Aikman would have done it -- and he wouldn’t have done it -- but if Troy Aikman would’ve fell asleep in a meeting, I would’ve disciplined him.

Cowherd: So you would've disciplined him?

Johnson:
"Oh without question, but I wouldn’t have cut them. See that’s the difference. And that’s why people say, ‘Oh he’s got a different standard for the great players.’ Yeah, I’ve got a different standard, but I expect them to meet the rules and regulations and do everything that we aks them to do. I don’t want them to break the rules."

Advertisement
Back