Remember Alex Collins.....

Lot of lawyers in here-can any share some insight as to how “intent to distribute” is established?

It's a joke. They just tack it on if you have over a certain amount or have a lot of cash with you. No chance collins actually wanted to distribute. He probably just wanted to buy 5 ounces so he doesn't need to run out and buy a couple onces every month.

If its under the "distribution threshold" they can still tag you with it if its all bagged up or if you have "a lot" of cash with you.

Can't disagree here. I mainly practice civil, but have handled quite a few of these as well.

This has always been like a totality of the circumstances charge that ordinarily begins with quantity by statute. PROVING an intent to distribute by simply showing an amount and a potential means to do so.....not proving jack **** to me.

Now, client comes to me stating that the cops found 4 pounds, 8 scales, 150 baggies with residue, etc.....ok, maybe we have a little more evidence to back up an intent to distribute. To me though, the only solid evidence would be undercover cop camera showing the defendant selling, though that can be dealt with as well.

REGARDLESS, the real problem in this story is that at Arkansas apparently, they teach you to permit an otherwise inconceivable search on your home when you are busted in your car?!?! WTF was he thinking?

UM

Advertisement
Advertisement
What a crock... the charges should be dropped. First of all Cheech and Chong rolled doobies bigger than 10 grams... no trafficking. And the passenger named Tykheem Jaquon Deundrea Dunaway... with a name like that he's no doubt guilty of something, and the spliff in the jar was probably his anyway, yet he walks away leaving his jar of Dak behind. Weed needs to be legalized country wide asap to stop this bullshiit.

Did a lot of this defense in the 70’s but it was big stuff, 1000’s of lbs on boats. I thought about being cute with a defense against intent claiming “personal use stash” but Prosecuters and judges down here lacked a sense of humor. Did get to try religious freedom defense. I like Collins even though he scewed us— his mom stealing the papers and running was classic.

Advertisement
Although he was holding more than just a little, there were enough other factors where the cops had to charge him with something, The weed, the guns, the accident, the circumstances....if you’re in that situation, expect to catch a couple of charges.

Having said that, his biggest sin is he’s just dumb as fūck. All he had to do is collect the weed and get his pieces, stick them in his pants, go somewhere:

Then Uber, home, put your guns and weeds away, call the cops and report the accident. Meet them back at the scene. The worst they can get you with is leaving the scene of an accident. Which is way better than what he’s looking at now. He’s just dumb.

Lot of lawyers in here-can any share some insight as to how “intent to distribute” is established?
Baggies...

It looks like I found somebody with intent to distribute lunch:

maxresdefault.jpg

A lot of people on diets prep all their meals for the week in advance so they are less tempted to cheat on their diet.

People get charged with intent to distribute if they have an ounce of weed and a scale to weigh it. That’s like having a couple bottles of vodka at the same time that you own a measuring cup. That’s just stupid.

Advertisement
He was never coming to Miami. His home environment was pretty terrible (we saw what his mom was like) and he spent a majority of his senior season living at a coach's house. He wanted out of town and away from family members terribly. His mom wanted Miami (maybe someone of Golden's staff was offering something?) but Alex was 100% never going to sign here.

Advertisement
He had 5 oz in the car, it was an additional 10 g found at his house when he bizarrely told them he had more weed there. Pretty sure 5 oz is sufficient quantity to be charged for distribution on that alone regardless of additional evidence. I could be wrong on that though.

Sorry, I guess I missed the 5oz part.

100% BS charge. Pot should be legal in all states and guns should be allowed for non criminals in all states.
I would go further as guns should be allowed to felons with NON violent records. I grew up in a military family and am extensively trained. I had a concealed carry permit for years but got in trouble for something that was completely non violent and had ZERO to do with a gun. The dictators say I had to surrender my permit, remove my weapons and relinquish my 2nd amendment rights to protect myself and my family?! Fack no!
Lol, sorry had to vent. It's been years and still irks me!
Would also go further that marijuana should be federally legal, not just in individual states.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back