Remember Alex Collins.....

OCCC that article points up a lot of medical uses and potential uses, some of which I knew, many of which I did not. Thank you for posting it.

I wanted to post a balanced overview from someone that’s cannabis friendly.

But keep in mind the difference between anecdotal reports and actual scientific evidence...which is all that counts for its practical use in society.

In other words, for something to become a scientifically proven standard of care it must have FDA approval (which requires rigorous scientific testing) and then insurance coverage follows. Insurance pretty much never covers anything without FDA approval.

If you read the body of the article, pretty much everything he talks about is anecdotal. Which is ok to discuss, as long as one understands the difference between anecdotes, and actual scientific evidence.

I direct you to this comment in his last paragraph, this is where the rubber meets the road:

“we don’t have rigorous studies and “gold standard” proof of the benefits and risks of medical marijuana”

Hopefully, as time passes, more studies will be conducted to shed scientific light on its potential benefits. There are several underway.

Advertisement
Yeah...I read it OCCC, thanks again, and it does give a balanced but cursory overview of some of the potential benefits of medical marijuana.

Yeah...I read it OCCC, thanks again, and it does give a balanced but cursory overview of some of the potential benefits of medical marijuana.

Cursory is right.

You have to get neck deep in the science to get a realistic perspective of its current usefulness in a regulatory environment.

As far as medical science is concerned, it’s a pharmaceutical, just like any other, and subject to the same science.

I actually do know exactly what I’m talking about.

No offense, but you just recited a bunch of anecdotal gobbledygook to me. Science doesn’t work that way. Anecdotes are not science.

Look, I’m all for the removal of marijuana prohibition because I’m a libertarian. I’m also aware of the very modest proven medical benefits of marijuana to some. But the overwhelming reproducible evidence is that it’s medical benefits are very modest - I’m not saying they’re non-existent.

I’m all for anyone that wants it, to be able to obtain it. But I’m not going to pretend that junk science, or anecdotes are real science.

As a strict believer in science, all that counts for me is rigorous proof.

Well then again, you obviously have not personally experienced or had family, etc experience what marijuana can really do. It's not junk, it's real. I'm glad you haven't but all doubters will see in time. Trust me, as a former opioid user due to multiple injuries, which also added to inability to sleep well, opiods literally change your chemistry. You HAVE to have them and also become very tolerant. Marijuana gives all the relief they do, each time with effectiveness and if you put it down, nothing happens to your body. You may want to use it, but you don't HAVE to.
Check out the only success in a college government study in Mississippi, it's a very weak strain that proves success and they're fighting for the money and authorization to get more, study more along with other strains. The schedule 1 is hindering that but I assure you, no matter what "official" science you want to believe, marijuana is a miracle plant and it's medicinal value is infinite.

Cursory is right.

You have to get neck deep in the science to get a realistic perspective of its current usefulness in a regulatory environment.

As far as medical science is concerned, it’s a pharmaceutical, just like any other, and subject to the same science.
But it can't get past the hurdle being a schedule 1 classification. Until they change that, the studies you call "official" will be extremely limited. As I said earlier, the studies were proven the way you describe in limited amounts but they had to be privately funded. You can research and find them

Advertisement
A substance having medicinal benefits and that same substance having been fully tested and approved by the FDA for those same benefits are not one and the same. I know that's not what you were implying, OC, but the reality is neither CBD nor even really marijuana and its related compounds have been put through the rigorous testing required to get FDA approval. But that doesn't at all mean its medicinal benefits are not real. Of course, I fully respect the position of someone who keeps it in the snake oil category UNTIL such testing is done and it is proven. Nothing wrong with that at all, it's quite logical to feel that way.

I am just more like Duke, insofar as I have experienced first hand both with myself and with many friends and family members how cannibinoids do help medically. So for me personally, I don't need any government testing or FDA approval to believe in the benefits of the stuff. I also predict that within a decade or so it all WILL all be established and approved by the FDA. The entire industry is incredibly brand new in terms of mainstream use and acceptance. We are just at the very start of that transition. So of course there hasn't been decades and decades of studies done nor a rubber stamp by the government. ****, the latter will likely never happen as long as marijuana continues to absurdly be considered a Schedule 1 (you know like heroin, meth, LSD, ecstasy, etc, because those are all so similar to marijuana).

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back