REGRESSION

Maybe we were wrong and he wasn't an all-world QB?

It's looking more and more like he was another limited QB who excelled in a gimmick College offence that made things easy for him. He's struggling to process information in this offence.
He’s playing in an offense that doesn’t play to his strengths or the receivers. He’s obviously uncomfortable.

What I saw last night was Enos lite. Enos at least had an excuse with JW at qb and true Fr all over the Ol.

Advertisement
I'm just curious, do our fans actually watch games, or do they look at the score and then run to the same tropes, logic be damned? Big difference between last year and this year: COMPETENT RECEIVERS THAT CAN MAKE CONTESTED CATCHES. Rambo and Harley weren't GOATs, but they were solid college receivers that would make catches for you. TVD looked great last year, because Rambo actually came down with 50/50 balls on a regular basis. Harley could make a contested catch. Want an example of this? The final offensive snap last night. B. Smith got hit directly in the hands with a pass, didn't catch it. I lost count how many times that happened last night. They can't make routine catches, they can't make contested catches. Good luck trying to beat anyone that way.

Appy State ran the same gameplan that we did, they merely executed better, that's the difference. Don't beat yourself, and you stand a fighting chance against TAMU, mostly because their O is mediocre as all ****. Max Johnson isn't going to turn the ball over, compared to their previous starter, so if you don't cash in offensively, it's tough. Miami marched up and down the field but didn't finish drives. Finish those drives, Miami likely wins comfortably..
Do you watch all 22’s ? Do you know X’s and O’s? I never look at the results , I look at what I’ve seen and heard since spring. This offense does not help qb’s or receivers.

I'm just curious, do our fans actually watch games, or do they look at the score and then run to the same tropes, logic be damned? Big difference between last year and this year: COMPETENT RECEIVERS THAT CAN MAKE CONTESTED CATCHES. Rambo and Harley weren't GOATs, but they were solid college receivers that would make catches for you. TVD looked great last year, because Rambo actually came down with 50/50 balls on a regular basis. Harley could make a contested catch. Want an example of this? The final offensive snap last night. B. Smith got hit directly in the hands with a pass, didn't catch it. I lost count how many times that happened last night. They can't make routine catches, they can't make contested catches. Good luck trying to beat anyone that way.

Appy State ran the same gameplan that we did, they merely executed better, that's the difference. Don't beat yourself, and you stand a fighting chance against TAMU, mostly because their O is mediocre as all ****. Max Johnson isn't going to turn the ball over, compared to their previous starter, so if you don't cash in offensively, it's tough. Miami marched up and down the field but didn't finish drives. Finish those drives, Miami likely wins comfortably..
Don’t even waste your time. OP has an ulterior motive behind his posts this week and doesn’t deserve a reasonable response.

Man am Soo disappointed in this coaching staff tonight ain't no way in **** that not gone cut it my theory put the pipe back in Sebastian mouth and start playing Miami football no dawg juice at all
I am usually a pessimist after a loss but the team matched up physically and played great on D against a top tier SEC program on the road. I thought the OC called a pretty good game. the WR room is garbage and that is why they were frantically trying to get guys in the portal. TVD started out poorly but got better in the fourth quarter. the Receivers were bad the entire game. It is true TVD doesn't look comfortable. I think they could employ some no huddle which would help a little but the receivers need to get better.

Last edited:
I hate to break it to you TVd was never all world.
I think you might be right. Perhaps TVD is not as good as we thought. He had some nice games to end the season last year, but they weren’t exactly great defenses he was facing. He also did not look very good in the first half of the FSU game last year. He really needs to pick his game up, his performance this season is not going to get it done.

Advertisement
Exactly.

Kid came in last year when the program was 1-2 and season was fast-slipping away. Fast fell to 2-4 and then had good back-to-back wins over NC State and ****.

Harley and Rambo were go-to's last year. Now they're gone and Van Dyke stumbled out the gate after an off-season of being told he's the greatest thing to happen to this program in 20 years.

This was a headline five days ago: "Miami football has been waiting two decades for a quarterback like Tyler Van Dyke".

Lots of season left, but Van Dyke needs to get on the same page as Smith, George, Brinson and others. Stop believing the hype and start executing.
Like I get all fan bases are crazy but for real how

porster: “TVD is all world first round pick”

Same porster: “TVD needs an easier offense.”

Smh

This offense reminds me of Bama 2017. Similar alignment, with both spread and power concepts. The difference is Bama had 3 studs at WR and another at QB. We have 3 duds at WR and another at QB.

Let’s all settle down including myself, we all knew we weren’t going undefeated and we’re to have 2-3 or so loses.

Agree ?

GOCANES

Gattis definitely needs more tempo, hurry up, Arroyo and Skinner involvement, and creativity in the red zone.

TVD is having some issues that aren’t solely associated with Gattis. If TVD is an NFL ready QB then he should be able to perform in this offense with the amount of time he is receiving from the Oline.

Gattis should contour the offense to TVD’s strengths but having to do so speaks to TVD’s deficiencies.

Advertisement
Do you watch all 22’s ? Do you know X’s and O’s? I never look at the results , I look at what I’ve seen and heard since spring. This offense does not help qb’s or receivers.
Yes I do, to answer your question. I'm not going to sit here and pretend I'm some super insider that knows everything about the inner workings of the program, but I can say that the people I still talk to, that are long time athletic department staff have come to the same conclusions that most of us came to. The WR room is bad and Mario should have done more to shore it up. If you are going to run a system that isn't as friendly(IE dumbed down)as your predecessor, you need to have guys that can do the basics.

Yes, there has been a massive change in regards to the philosophy, but one thing remains the same: Guys that can't catch won't catch, no matter what you call. Our fans love to pretend that it wasn't known that this WR room lacks route running ability, and their hands have been iffy. It was covered for last year, because you had Rambo and Harley, two experienced guys that could pick up the slack. You look at a lot of the youngsters there's a reason why they didn't get targets LAST YEAR, despite teams eventually adjusting and keying Rambo.

Amazing that the same system that our fans whine about, has helped our OLine IMMENSELY. The same OL that couldn't hold a block if their lives depended on it, are now manhandling talented defensive fronts. The same OL that was iffy at best in regards to pass pro and you had to pause teams through RPOs in order to keep TVD from getting killed are giving that same QB a ton of time to throw. Mario wants to win in the trenches, he wants a program that is built to last, and honestly the Lashlee method isn't one that lasts long term. Would I like to see more tempo? Yes, especially after chunk plays. That said, grinding teams into the dust works for me, especially if it leads to TOUCHDOWNS. We aren't having this conversation if Miami punched in a couple of scores, and the special teams weren't awful.

I said that last night in ref to velocity. He looked highly uncomfortable the entire night. This offense is not made for him. And I'm not so sure Garcia would've faired any better.

So if the O isn't for TVD or Jake from State Farm, who is it made for?

What solution would you propose?

Advertisement
He’s playing in an offense that doesn’t play to his strengths or the receivers. He’s obviously uncomfortable.

What I saw last night was Enos lite. Enos at least had an excuse with JW at qb and true Fr all over the Ol.
Exactly....Anyone who couldn't see TVD was uncomfortable, need not reply anymore on CIS....This reeks of what Coker did with Berlin. This "Bunched up BS" I saw last night in the backfield is disgustingly ridiculous.

Advertisement
Watch paint dry during the week to prep for Saturday’s. Maybe a miracle happens and they tweak some things to help.

Not trying to be facetious. Just trying to gauge if there is a realistic possibility that we see a new offense when we get to ACC play.

Do you Mario whiffed on his OC choice? I will say I was extremely disappointed when I heard Mario wanted a pro style O again. Maybe the only thing Diaz did right was move to a spread O in his 2nd year, and the O ended up being top 25. I was worried this would happen and it is a big part of the reason that I ranked Kiffin slightly ahead of Mario (I think it was me and one of the boards top posters who shall remain unnamed who were on the Lane Train) . If looking 4-5 years down the road, Mario might be the better overall choice, but I was looking at how you maximize what we have on the current roster. You rarely get 4 years to build a team in cfb nowadays, fans don't have that kind of patience. I get the sense that Mario is doing the same thing Richt tried to do, which is build a traditional SEC team. Unfortunately it looks instead like he's doing what Al Golden did and building a traditional Big-10 team.

The pipe dream was we split the difference of offense and long term recruiting/team building with Mario hiring Joe Brady. I think that would have been funnnnnnnn. I hoped Mario would be willing to adopt a new offensive philosophy but I guess what they say is true, the best indicator of future performance is past performance.

Last edited:
How does TVD get right? Is Ponce supposed to be the mastermind of this passing game? If so, what are we doing? My concern going to this offense is having to come back from any substantial scoring deficit. If we don’t have the schemes or receivers to effectively move the ball in a short amount of time (two minute drill) we’ll see the same thing.

Advertisement
Back