Regional weather

Looks like those are softball rules. I thought the part about attempting to complete by Sunday seemed off. Further down are the 2017 baseball rules that include provision for playing up to two games on Tuesday. Option Two may be our most likely outcome.

Here are relevant guidelines:

1. If Games 1 and 2 on Friday are both cancelled . . . play Games 1 and 2 on Saturday, play Games 3, 4 and 5 on Sunday and Games 6 and 7 (if necessary) on Monday. (0 – 2 – 3 – 2)
  2. If both games are cancelled on Friday and both games are cancelled on Saturday . . . play Games 1 and 2 on Sunday, Games 3, 4 and 5 on Monday and Games 6 and 7 (if necessary) on Tuesday. (0 – 0 – 2 – 3 – 2)

Last edited:
Advertisement

Looks like those are outdated softball rules. I thought the part about attempting to complete by Sunday seemed off. Further down are the 2017 baseball rules that include provision for playing up to two games on Tuesday. Option Two may be our most likely outcome.

1. If Games 1 and 2 on Friday are both cancelled . . . play Games 1 and 2 on Saturday, play Games 3, 4 and 5 on Sunday and Games 6 and 7 (if necessary) on Monday. (0 – 2 – 3 – 2)
  2. If both games are cancelled on Friday and both games are cancelled on Saturday . . . play Games 1 and 2 on Sunday, Games 3, 4 and 5 on Monday and Games 6 and 7 (if necessary) on Tuesday. (0 – 0 – 2 – 3 – 2)

That makes more sense - you'd think the NCAA would then accommodate a Saturday start to the super-regional, and hopefully at the Light.

That makes more sense - you'd think the NCAA would then accommodate a Saturday start to the super-regional, and hopefully at the Light.
I seem to recall them not being so accommodating when we finished on Tuesday in 2010. Pretty sure we started in Gainesville on Friday but I could be wrong.

Edit: Looked it up. They were not accommodating although that was just one Tuesday game.

I seem to recall them not being so accommodating when we finished on Tuesday in 2010. Pretty sure we started in Gainesville on Friday but I could be wrong.

Edit: Looked it up. They were not accommodating although that was just one Tuesday game.
ESPN probably dictates who starts Fri vs Sat based on the match-ups.

Looks like those are softball rules. I thought the part about attempting to complete by Sunday seemed off. Further down are the 2017 baseball rules that include provision for playing up to two games on Tuesday. Option Two may be our most likely outcome.

Interesting, did not know how that worked. Scane continues to be the purveyor of arcane trivia on the board

Advertisement

Didn’t UVA/DBU finish on Tuesday morning in that South Carolina regional a couple years ago? Or am I thinking of a Super regional?

If they have thru Tuesday to complete this there shouldn't be an issue. 2 on Sun, 3 Mon, 1-2 Tues.

Biggest downside (if we won) is assuming Palmquist starts Game 2, he'd not be available for the Super opener

Advertisement
Didn’t UVA/DBU finish on Tuesday morning in that South Carolina regional a couple years ago? Or am I thinking of a Super regional?
Looks like it was against ODU, and they did get to start their Supers on Saturday, although they may have been in the group that would have anyway.

If they have thru Tuesday to complete this there shouldn't be an issue. 2 on Sun, 3 Mon, 1-2 Tues.

Biggest downside (if we won) is assuming Palmquist starts Game 2, he'd not be available for the Super opener

If you lose a game, you need to win 4 to win a regional. So a game Sunday, 2 on Monday, and 2 on Tuesday is incredibly difficult. Not to mention having to play a Super possibly on Friday if you do what I described. Only positive is that it would be at home. But 5 games in a little over 48 hours is insanity.

If you lose a game, you need to win 4 to win a regional. So a game Sunday, 2 on Monday, and 2 on Tuesday is incredibly difficult. Not to mention having to play a Super possibly on Friday if you do what I described. Only positive is that it would be at home. But 5 games in a little over 48 hours is insanity.

To be fair if we lose either of our first 2 games we're ****ed anyways. We need to beat Cansius + the AZ/OM winner, we don't have the pitching depth to go thru the losers side

Advertisement
To be fair if we lose either of our first 2 games we're ****ed anyways. We need to beat Cansius + the AZ/OM winner, we don't have the pitching depth to go thru the losers side

You're probably not wrong, I'm sure the data will show you that a very large % of regional winners won the first 2 games. However, do any of those teams have pitching depth to go 5 games in 3 days either? I'd guess that if they did, they wouldn't be on the road in a regional. Ole Miss was pretty much dead, too, and they snuck in.

I totally get what you're saying, but we're the best team in the regional and hosting for a reason. If we lose, let's say the 2nd game, there's no reason we can't win 3 straight to take the regional. But ****, regardless, there are going to be some tired pitching staffs is this thing does go all the way to a 7th game.

You're probably not wrong, I'm sure the data will show you that a very large % of regional winners won the first 2 games. However, do any of those teams have pitching depth to go 5 games in 3 days either? I'd guess that if they did, they wouldn't be on the road in a regional. Ole Miss was pretty much dead, too, and they snuck in.

I totally get what you're saying, but we're the best team in the regional and hosting for a reason. If we lose, let's say the 2nd game, there's no reason we can't win 3 straight to take the regional. But ****, regardless, there are going to be some tired pitching staffs is this thing does go all the way to a 7th game.
We’re particularly ill-equipped to do it with our lack of reliable starting pitching outside Palm. The regional is a format best suited to a team with starting pitching depth. We badly need to minimize the number of games whether it’s three days or four. It’ll be harder for sure at three days, but our odds were probably always lower than the typical host in the loser’s bracket. The Super Regionals are our ideal format.

Do any of the teams in our regional have the type of arms to run through the games and be better having max days and games?

Advertisement

When was the last time we won 3 games in a row against teams not named ND St?

My personal opinion is if we don’t start 2-0 we are done.

McFarlane should get a surprise start against Canisius if we're serious about trying to win. Worst case scenario is he lasts 3 or 4 innings. If he suceeds then we found another starter to round things out.

McFarlane should get a surprise start against Canisius if we're serious about trying to win. Worst case scenario is he lasts 3 or 4 innings. If he suceeds then we found another starter to round things out.
He’s my pick in game 3 if we’re 2-0. Or Rosario 2-3 innings and then him.

When was the last time we won 3 games in a row against teams not named ND St?

My personal opinion is if we don’t start 2-0 we are done.
In fairness, if we aren’t up 2-0 in the bottom of the first of Game 1, you’ll be raising the white flag of defeat…

Advertisement
Back