Regarding Diaz...

Clearing up a couple of things:

Kuligowski will have an impact, but he's not going to make a difference in how the coverage is played. If you like this type of off man zone defense, then you should have no issue.

Secondly, the Texas situation: the situation was that his DB coach believed they needed to play more man coverage. Diaz is not a fan of man coverage, really at all. Clearly, Diaz's zone coverage against spread teams gets roasted, you can watch it any time they play an above average passing offense.

His reason for playing zone isn't bc he is afraid of athleticism matchups. It's bc that is his defense. Just like Syracuse basketball. He's not going to wake up and suddenly change his system bc he's in Miami, b/c he doesn't believe in playing much man coverage. It's why he had tension with the DB coach at UT.

U people kill me man. He was at miss st. For one season ONE he didn't have any recruits in place for his system & none of that is athletic. I'm done defending a good hire. Be miserable ****nit. Better yet hang yourself.

Advertisement
Clearing up a couple of things:

Kuligowski will have an impact, but he's not going to make a difference in how the coverage is played. If you like this type of off man zone defense, then you should have no issue.

Secondly, the Texas situation: the situation was that his DB coach believed they needed to play more man coverage. Diaz is not a fan of man coverage, really at all. Clearly, Diaz's zone coverage against spread teams gets roasted, you can watch it any time they play an above average passing offense.

His reason for playing zone isn't bc he is afraid of athleticism matchups. It's bc that is his defense. Just like Syracuse basketball. He's not going to wake up and suddenly change his system bc he's in Miami, b/c he doesn't believe in playing much man coverage. It's why he had tension with the DB coach at UT.

U people kill me man. He was at miss st. For one season ONE he didn't have any recruits in place for his system & none of that is athletic. I'm done defending a good hire. Be miserable ****nit. Better yet hang yourself.

How many seasons was he at UT?

I don't know how to say it anymore but we hired a coach that doesn't play man defense, and whose zone concepts coach the DBs to play off. If you are ok with that, fine. But don't pretend we hired some press man dude who just never decided to run press man in his 6 years as an FBS coach.

I don't know if Diaz will work out or not. But, it will be interesting to revisit these threads in a couple of years regardless of how it works out.

And, while Fully comes across as pretty shrill, how many people were listening to Jason Whitlock 5 years ago?

I don't know if Diaz will work out or not. But, it will be interesting to revisit these threads in a couple of years regardless of how it works out.

And, while Fully comes across as pretty shrill, how many people were listening to Jason Whitlock 5 years ago?

Yup..

What do I have to gain by trashing the guy if it's all made up? If it's overblown. The dude has so many red flags he could bullfight.

I hope like **** I'm dead wrong, bc that would mean the U is back. But I couldn't be more certain that this was a bad hire, nd thus why I freaked the fvck out.

You know I was a bit down on the hire initially, but the truth is, some of our best defenses were lead by one Randy L. Shannon.. dude was no defensive genius and didn't necessarily provide any schematic advantage either... yet we had good players and were able to get results. At the very least with Diaz, we get back to a defense that's not reactive and complex and we get to enjoy seeing some aggression on that side of the ball.

Randy was a good DC, just not a good head coach.

Advertisement
After Alabama's fluke loss to Mississippi there were some great bargains on the Tide for a month or so, particularly in road games. I bet them as small favorite at both Texas A&M and Mississippi State. During that Mississippi State telecast the commentators started talking about Manny Diaz, and showed him on the sideline. I was surprised. I didn't even know he had taken that job.

Almost immediately I relaxed. I was more confident in my wager. I always viewed Diaz as more interesting than effective. Like Dan Campbell the recent Dolphins interim coach he talked tough aggressive strategy but didn't dependably apply it. Most often he picked on weaklings like a bully but defaulted to safe against better foes once his defense started to show signs of frailty in those games.

Anyway, I remember Mississippi State threatened early and went for it on 4th down near the goal line in a scoreless game. Once that play didn't work I mostly turned the channel and had confidence Nick Saban and Lane Kiffin would have more than enough answers for Dan Mullen and Manny Diaz. Granted the talent level wasn't identical. The score mounted as I watched other games.

A friend of mine from Las Vegas touted BYU in that 2013 game hosting Texas. BYU was something like an 8 point home underdog, if I remember correctly. My friend who is nicknamed Digger said that BYU had changed offensive strategies radically from 2012 and he didn't think Texas would be prepared for it, in such an early season game. I should have wagered but did not. I remember congratulating Digger after the outcome, and then being disappointed that Diaz was fired so quickly. When there's a lopsided result like that you can almost guarantee the vulnerability will show up again, with room to pounce.

The strange aspect was that BYU punished Texas again the following season, this time on the road and against the Strong regime. If anything it was worse than the year before. I was driving home from a Canes home game when I heard that score in progress. Sometimes these home and home matchups end up lopsided, for no apparent reason. Texas was slaughtered in both the home and road matchups with UCLA in the mid to late '90s.

Notice that the SEC all but avoids those home and road encounters these days. Too much uncertainty and therefore risk. Alabama previously played home and home all the time, including 4 meetings against USC in the '70s. That was awesome. I assumed it would always be that way. Nope. Now Alabama plays one season opener on a carefully selected neutral site every year against a name brand opponent. That is designed to skirt any claim that they don't take out of conference risks, but really it's hardly bold. It's bold by SEC standards.

The two names I mentioned were Clancy Pendergast and DeWayne Walker. I was hoping we would pursue those guys. Undervalued, IMO, while currently stuck in low level NFL assistant jobs that they might be willing to depart. Both have directed effective attacking college defenses. I guess I think more along a West Coast point of view in some cases, since USC reportedly offered its defensive job to Pendergast and now is apparently considering Walker if Pendergast turns down the role, as rumored. If anybody became overlooked it was DeWayne Walker after spending a few seasons as head coach of New Mexico State.

With Diaz I would anticipate a defense that brutalizes and devours the outmanned foes early on the schedule, leading to the typical overboard pronouncements of how far we've improved and where we are going. That's familiar many times recently, including the 2007 opener, if I recall, and as recently as the win over Florida a couple of seasons ago even though we were quite fortunate in that game.

Per usual the posters on fan sites like this have absolutely no clue regarding the burden of "Top 5 in the country" and "Best in the country" claims. Those are the "kill," posters, the parodies. I guess they are necessary for entertainment value.

I agree its like 5 dudes who are so butt hurt over Butch remaining on the coaching unemployed list that they all have joined this club to **** everyone else off.

There is no way your a Miami fan who knows Miami's history and the traits of a true Miami athlete who doesnt get excited about the DC hire.

Not one stat has stated how its a perfect for Miami talent. Fast aggressive and simple, just like Miami high school football.

There are no sure thing hires and if you look into our history this is the first time we have gone out and went after prime coaches and paid them like we are a FN SEC team.

There is a reason why most Miami coaches who get "it" have their careers made here and these hires prove that not only does Richt fully understand Miami football it also proves that we are finally out from under the "I hate football witch" that has tormented us for years.

To not be excited at this time for Miami football says your simply not a Miami fan.

You're simply a cheerleader for the U. You are clueless in almost every post you make. While mostly everyone else is discussing X' and O's and the nuance of the game, you are running around the board stating how posters are butthurt... seriously grow the **** up!!!

There are very few posters that are as doom and gloom as you are, and its the majority of posters who are the ones discussing this reasonably to assess where Diaz will turn out between above average and elite. Go look at the likes on my initial post, and you will see that an estimate of 5 people who think this is irrevocably disastrous is actually a bit high.

It's clear to me that you are having trouble seeing beyond what you want to see when you think a calm, collected poster like Lu (who has stated he sees Diaz as good, if not necessarily better than that) agrees with you and the other blowhards that this hire is terrible.

It's clear to me you can't read. Nowhere have I said this is a bad hire. I actually think this is a good hire all things considered. There is nothing wrong discussing Diaz weakness and why he hasn't become elite. If anything I've stated several times that working with a greybeard like Coach Kool could be a difference maker.

I agree GS is over the top and it's getting old, but you guys are doing nothing but antagonizing him now and in turn that's what he is doing with you. There is the ignore button, but you guys would rather argue like petulant children.

You are going to bat for and defending all the guys spamming this sub with their armchair analysis that he's the worst thing ever. I felt like it was a safe assumption that you were in the camp with the blowhards.

If not, that just gives us more evidence that 99% of the comments on the "its a disaster" side are coming from one or two obsessives. When it comes down to it the fan base is viewing this collectively in about the same fashion (there are few people that view this as without risk either), which is the opposite of the divide that this thread discusses.

Who are "all the guys" spamming the board saying Diaz is the "worst thing ever?" There's one guy who thinks Diaz is a total abortion (FullyEricht). Then, there are guys who question the hire for valid reasons and are in wait and see mode (like me and a few others). Then, there are guys like you who love the hire.

You "Richt can do no wrong" cheerleaders are getting too dramatic with your desire to squelch any dissenting opinions on Richt's hires. You've already determined that Diaz will definitely fall within the realm of above average to elite. Some of us aren't so sure because he's never been either yet.

Man I want to apologize to Franchise, 82, Mico, Consilgiere, Lu, and anyone else I haven't mentioned who see Diaz for what he is but now have to face the kool aid brigade bc I came on so strong against the hire.

I still think it was a terrible terrible decision to hire the guy, but I'm not going to argue about it anymore b/c all it does is cause the troglodytes who defended Albortion for years after it was obvious he sucked to dig their heels in.

I will say this. The gloves will be off after the first game we get torched. Until then, my lips are sealed on Corch Spanish Dorito.

Advertisement
You know I was a bit down on the hire initially, but the truth is, some of our best defenses were lead by one Randy L. Shannon.. dude was no defensive genius and didn't necessarily provide any schematic advantage either... yet we had good players and were able to get results. At the very least with Diaz, we get back to a defense that's not reactive and complex and we get to enjoy seeing some aggression on that side of the ball.

I don't disagree, but he wasn't known for his "attacking" style or some sort of crazy fancy scheme.. and he was able to get results. So maybe Diaz will too.

How are you going to say coach Kool wont have any affect on how the coverage is played?
If he can coach up our lineman and turn them into savages, which he has a proven track record of doing, then how does that not affect the DB's?
The more sacks and overall pressure you get on a QB, the easier the job is for the DBs. Its an irrefutable fact.
DL is the most important position group on defense by far. So a great DL coach definitely impact everything else about a defense.

I understand the board is divided. I don't know if our players fit his system. I do know I'm tired of watching of watching opposing qbs sit in the pocket with 10 seconds waiting for wrs to get open. So if we do nothing else but attack the qb and blitz and put pressure on the qb, I'm down with that.

Regarding the knocks on Richt's hire of Diaz:

- Coach Kool is without a doubt a top 3. if not the best. D Line coach in college football. No one can realistically argue this fact.
His D Lines have consistently lead the SEC in TFL's and have always been very high in Sack counts. A big hire in the minds of
all knowledgeable college football experts.

- Coach Diaz does not have all the goods Kool brings but he is a tremendous upgrade from Doritos. But, most importantly, when
you look at the fact that Diaz's aggressive schemes have caused more turnovers in the last 5 to 7 seasons. So, when you
combine Kool's aggressive D Line Rush Blitz schemes with Diaz's aggressive LB Blitz's and Ball Hawking schemes, I see lots
of TFL's, Sacks and INT's coming our way!

I look at what the combo between Kool and Diaz will do. It's real obvious once you look at their schemes. At least it is to me. And yes I realize there the details but, these schemes are really very simple. I also know these aggressive defensive schemes have their problems.
Live by the knife. Die by the knife. But, I think it's a much better way to go and it certainly beats "a death by a thousand cuts".

Biggest crock of ****. Randy was good when he played the average ACC team. Put an Offense with a pulse against him he is mierda.

Advertisement

Biggest crock of ****. Randy was good when he played the average ACC team. Put an Offense with a pulse against him he is mierda.

running QBs killed him the most.. because our secondary would be chasing and there was no one left for the QB..

also concerning that he couldn't field a good D as head coach.. which saban manages to do no matter what.

I have a wait and see attitude on this hiring, however I feel good about the overall attitude the defense will have under Diaz and Kool attack attack, attack aggressive mindset. I do feel we have better overall talent then MSU and he has more returning starters(8) then he had at MSU(1)
I, for one am looking forward to seeing, how Diaz attacking 4-3 defense translates here at Miami.

I don't care. I just don't want to see us rushing 3 and watching qbs stand back there all day. More pressure will mean more sacks and more fumbles and more hurried passes and more picks.

And more blown man coverages for touchdowns.

Advertisement
I don't care. I just don't want to see us rushing 3 and watching qbs stand back there all day. More pressure will mean more sacks and more fumbles and more hurried passes and more picks.

And more blown man coverages for touchdowns.

If nothing is risked, nothing is gained.

You can't play patty-cake ball in 2015.

It's not 1985. It's not the 3-man routes (2WR, 1TE) with max protection which allows you to "flood zones" with defenders.

Advertisement
Back