Regarding Diaz...

5XNC

Senior
I understand the board is divided. I don't know if our players fit his system. I do know I'm tired of watching of watching opposing qbs sit in the pocket with 10 seconds waiting for wrs to get open. So if we do nothing else but attack the qb and blitz and put pressure on the qb, I'm down with that.

Advertisement
I think a few people dramatically overreacting are making the community seem more divided than it is. You have a handful of blowhards who think this guy is absolutely terrible, and who are either trolls or not capable of getting over their own preconceived notions. However, beyond that it seems like most people see this as it is. We hired a pretty good defensive coordinator, who runs the style we prefer and has shown flashes of significant upside. Most of the rational debate is considering whether he can duplicate the instant success he has shown in his last 4 stops and then sustain it at some level beyond "pretty good".

This wasn't a sure thing hire by any means, but the real conversation is trying to see whether he projects from good to great and whether he can take the next step past that.

I don't care. I just don't want to see us rushing 3 and watching qbs stand back there all day. More pressure will mean more sacks and more fumbles and more hurried passes and more picks.

Agree. The last defensive scheme was exactly that, defensive. The game was dictated by the other teams offense. I can't wait to see DL getting up field and making offenses react to our aggression. The fist 5+ sack game will be a great moment as Canes fans. Sacks, TFL, turnovers in abundance as a result of defensive pressure has been missing for far to long. Lu made a great point in another post that our corners and safties will be the biggest beneficiaries of Coach Kool's effect on our defense. I think Diaz will lean on Coach Kool's experience and situational knowledge. Those two are gonna create havoc. Should be fun. My .02.

Go Canes!

I don't care. I just don't want to see us rushing 3 and watching qbs stand back there all day. More pressure will mean more sacks and more fumbles and more hurried passes and more picks.

Watch any game of his and you will see him rushing three multiple times, and playing soft zone, and using 3-4 looks.

Advertisement
I look at a Diaz hire on defense like an Air Raid hire on offense. At least it'll be fun to watch even if the results aren't always great. It's going to be great to see us playing downhill on defense again.

The hope is that Diaz's philosophy will mesh perfectly with the talent base down here unlike at other stops where his results were either average or below average for the most part.

If he can't take the talent down here and consistently field top 10 defenses, then he's just an average DC. I don't want to hear any excuses for him. Either fix the defense to Miami standards, or you're a failure.

I understand the board is divided. I don't know if our players fit his system. I do know I'm tired of watching of watching opposing qbs sit in the pocket with 10 seconds waiting for wrs to get open. So if we do nothing else but attack the qb and blitz and put pressure on the qb, I'm down with that.
the linebackers fit, corners fit but we lack depth, some safeties fit but some don't, only Chad Thomas, Gerald Willis, and AQM fit the rest of the d-line don't

I think and hope coach kool and Diaz have fun wreaking havoc and coming up with game plans and packages.

Advertisement
Top 10 defense? We win 11 with a top 50 defense.

Houston didn't have a top 50 defense and they dominated Fsu. Just because you are ranked top 20 on defense don't mean sh*t. Donofrio had a top 15 defense statistically in 2014 but the defense definitely did not play like one outside of the Duke or va tech game... Diaz defense is hyper agressive and has great blitz packages, Miami right now has the most talent that he has had to work with in a number of years. His defenses is actually more agressive than Aranda

Last edited:
Also keep in mind if he absolutely blows, Richt has shown no remorse in firing a guy after even just a year.

I look at a Diaz hire on defense like an Air Raid hire on offense. At least it'll be fun to watch even if the results aren't always great. It's going to be great to see us playing downhill on defense again.

The hope is that Diaz's philosophy will mesh perfectly with the talent base down here unlike at other stops where his results were either average or below average for the most part.

If he can't take the talent down here and consistently field top 10 defenses, then he's just an average DC. I don't want to hear any excuses for him. Either fix the defense to Miami standards, or you're a failure.

Chise, how long are you willing to give him to get this defense up to that standard? Just a heads up, the argument from many is that Miami shouldn't expect nor need a top 10 D. Like you, I feel we need a top 10 D.

As for the bolded part, this is why I have been involved in death arguments. All I have been saying is what you typed in bold, and people refuse to believe it simply bc he is our guy now.

Last edited:

This

Advertisement

Chise, how long are you willing to give him to get this defense up to that standard? Just a heads up, the argument from many is that Miami shouldn't expect nor need a top 10 D. Like you, I feel we need a top 10 D.
2 years...if he sucks he's canned. We need a top 10 to win NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS...not the Acc

This

Air Coryell/ Dan Fouts/San Diego Chargers that air raid was full to watch. Get the talent for the system, it works great.

You know I was a bit down on the hire initially, but the truth is, some of our best defenses were lead by one Randy L. Shannon.. dude was no defensive genius and didn't necessarily provide any schematic advantage either... yet we had good players and were able to get results. At the very least with Diaz, we get back to a defense that's not reactive and complex and we get to enjoy seeing some aggression on that side of the ball.

Advertisement
Who cares if we have a top 10 defense if we're playing for national titles in the next 2-3 years?!?!

The stat debates have proven that surface evaluations of Diaz prove him to be average. While the advance stats prove him to be above average. Great! That's history!

What matters most is what he does going forward.

I couldn't care less about where our defenses rank if we're winning titles.

I want to win on Saturdays, and have 15 game college seasons.

Clemson doesn't care that their defense didn't shut down UNC. They care that they won the game.

And I guarantee BC would give up some of their defensive rankings for more wins.

B/C 90% of the teams who won a title since at least 1999 (haven't looked further back) had top ten defenses. So connecting the dots for you, it is essentially a key component to winning a title. Get it?

Also keep in mind if he absolutely blows, Richt has shown no remorse in firing a guy after even just a year.

Where did this idea come from?

Richt is actually extremely loyal to his assistants, if you talk to UGA fans it has sometimes been to a fault.

As for the bolded part, this is why I have been involved in death arguments. All I have been saying is what you typed in bold, and people refuse to believe it simply bc he is our guy now.

He should get immediate results. Our roster is stacked, especially in the most important spot--DL. We've got a top 5 in the country DLine, and we have the best DL coach in the country. Therefore, a guy who relies on disruption and playing downhill should kill it right away.

All I know is that the great Miami teams were always top 10 or even top 5 defensively. We won primarily with stifling defenses. Now, we have limp facquits trying to claim that we don't need a top 50 defense because Houston beat FSU in a meaningless bowl game that FSU clearly didn't show up for with a defense that wasn't top 50.

These guys talk about wanting to play Miami defense again and be 4-3 and attack and all that. Real Miami defense is all that WITH great results. You can't leave the great results part out and claim you're playing real Miami defense.

Advertisement
Back