Regarding Diaz...

Who cares if we have a top 10 defense if we're playing for national titles in the next 2-3 years?!?!

The stat debates have proven that surface evaluations of Diaz prove him to be average. While the advance stats prove him to be above average. Great! That's history!

What matters most is what he does going forward.

I couldn't care less about where our defenses rank if we're winning titles.

I want to win on Saturdays, and have 15 game college seasons.

Clemson doesn't care that their defense didn't shut down UNC. They care that they won the game.

And I guarantee BC would give up some of their defensive rankings for more wins.

Where was Clemson's defense ranked?

Advertisement
I look at a Diaz hire on defense like an Air Raid hire on offense. At least it'll be fun to watch even if the results aren't always great. It's going to be great to see us playing downhill on defense again.

The hope is that Diaz's philosophy will mesh perfectly with the talent base down here unlike at other stops where his results were either average or below average for the most part.

If he can't take the talent down here and consistently field top 10 defenses, then he's just an average DC. I don't want to hear any excuses for him. Either fix the defense to Miami standards, or you're a failure.

Chise, how long are you willing to give him to get this defense up to that standard? Just a heads up, the argument from many is that Miami shouldn't expect nor need a top 10 D. Like you, I feel we need a top 10 D.

As for the bolded part, this is why I have been involved in death arguments. All I have been saying is what you typed in bold, and people refuse to believe it simply bc he is our guy now.

He should get immediate results. Our roster is stacked, especially in the most important spot--DL. We've got a top 5 in the country DLine, and we have the best DL coach in the country. Therefore, a guy who relies on disruption and playing downhill should kill it right away.

All I know is that the great Miami teams were always top 10 or even top 5 defensively. We won primarily with stifling defenses. Now, we have limp facquits trying to claim that we don't need a top 50 defense because Houston beat FSU in a meaningless bowl game that FSU clearly didn't show up for with a defense that wasn't top 50.

These guys talk about wanting to play Miami defense again and be 4-3 and attack and all that. Real Miami defense is all that WITH great results. You can't leave the great results part out and claim you're playing real Miami defense.

This should be a sticky. Agreed. If his defense isn't top 25 next season, then he's a corch and should be treated as such and fired.

Also keep in mind if he absolutely blows, Richt has shown no remorse in firing a guy after even just a year.

Where did this idea come from?

Richt is actually extremely loyal to his assistants, if you talk to UGA fans it has sometimes been to a fault.

These guys have somehow conflated The Grim Richter's bloodlust for Folden's pathetic staff with a quick hatchet on his own guys. It's not the case, as you pointed out. He held onto Martinez until he was basically forced to get rid of him or get fired himself. He also caught a ton of grief with Bobo as OC for years.

Did Missouri have to do a lot of blitzing? If coach Kool can get pressure with front four diaz exotic blitzes might not be needed as much. After watching player interviews it seemed like some players loved the scheme and said it was easy to understand where others seemed a little confused which might be why there were open wrs in some games.

I look at a Diaz hire on defense like an Air Raid hire on offense. At least it'll be fun to watch even if the results aren't always great. It's going to be great to see us playing downhill on defense again.

The hope is that Diaz's philosophy will mesh perfectly with the talent base down here unlike at other stops where his results were either average or below average for the most part.

If he can't take the talent down here and consistently field top 10 defenses, then he's just an average DC. I don't want to hear any excuses for him. Either fix the defense to Miami standards, or you're a failure.

Great comparison. Air Raid on defense.

Advertisement

It took Clemson time to build up the defense.

Venables went from 63rd to 25th to 1st to 6th this year.

I'll give Diaz one transition year to weed out the bums, but he SHOULD improve the defense as early as next season.

B/C 90% of the teams who won a title since at least 1999 (haven't looked further back) had top ten defenses. So connecting the dots for you, it is essentially a key component to winning a title. Get it?

Not really.

So if we fall into the 10% of champions who don't have an elite defense, you're gonna complain?

I understand the board is divided. I don't know if our players fit his system. I do know I'm tired of watching of watching opposing qbs sit in the pocket with 10 seconds waiting for wrs to get open. So if we do nothing else but attack the qb and blitz and put pressure on the qb, I'm down with that.
the linebackers fit, corners fit but we lack depth, some safeties fit but some don't, only Chad Thomas, Gerald Willis, and AQM fit the rest of the d-line don't

Kendrick Norton fits in any defense.

War Daddy if properly trained.

Advertisement
Not as high as BC or Wisconsin ...

Who cares if we have a top 10 defense if we're playing for national titles in the next 2-3 years?!?!

The stat debates have proven that surface evaluations of Diaz prove him to be average. While the advance stats prove him to be above average. Great! That's history!

Clemson doesn't care that their defense didn't shut down UNC. They care that they won the game.

And I guarantee BC would give up some of their defensive rankings for more wins.

I'll give Diaz one transition year to weed out the bums, but he SHOULD improve the defense as early as next season.

I wasn't discussing time. The guy I quoted mentioned that he doesn't care if UM has a top 10 defense as long as we are playing for NCs. Then, he said Clemson doesn't care that UNC scored a bunch of points.

I wanted to point out to him that Clemson might not have cared about one game, but they are, in fact, a top 10 defense. Pretty sure Bama is too. What else do they have in common?

Dig those stilletos in.

I understand the board is divided. I don't know if our players fit his system. I do know I'm tired of watching of watching opposing qbs sit in the pocket with 10 seconds waiting for wrs to get open. So if we do nothing else but attack the qb and blitz and put pressure on the qb, I'm down with that.
the linebackers fit, corners fit but we lack depth, some safeties fit but some don't, only Chad Thomas, Gerald Willis, and AQM fit the rest of the d-line don't

Kendrick Norton fits in any defense.

War Daddy if properly trained.
Yea I agree but I haven't seen him play...actually he redshirted so unless we see him play we can't say he can even though I believe he can

Advertisement
B/C 90% of the teams who won a title since at least 1999 (haven't looked further back) had top ten defenses. So connecting the dots for you, it is essentially a key component to winning a title. Get it?

Not really.

So if we fall into the 10% of champions who don't have an elite defense, you're gonna complain?

I don;t think you really understand how this works. You don't pick the numbers. It's just what happens. 90% of the time, you require a top 10 defense to win a title. The odds are tremebdously against you otherwise. Not having one is referred to as an outlier, an anomaly.

Understand yet?

Dig those stilletos in.
6th in the nation...I'm sorry look at those rankings 7 of those 10 teams were in the chase for their respective conference championships or won them. It would've been 8 if matty mauk woulda stayed healthy. Also all four playoff teams are in the top 10

I wasn't discussing time. The guy I quoted mentioned that he doesn't care if UM has a top 10 defense as long as we are playing for NCs. Then, he said Clemson doesn't care that UNC scored a bunch of points.

I wanted to point out to him that Clemson might not have cared about one game, but they are, in fact, a top 10 defense. Pretty sure Bama is too. What else do they have in common?

Probably also have a decent time of possession stats.

Advertisement

Probably also have a decent time of possession stats.

I'd wager TOP will be a critical stat for the success of Diaz, as well as playing with a lead and making opposing O's play chancey. I think we all wanted a hire that could stand (relatively) on its own, but I'll admit there's maybe four or five guys in the country capable of that. Still fine with this hire.

Are fans really saying we don't need a top 10 Defense? Smh...

But none of the top 4 in 2014 finished top 10 in total D ... How is that possible? 4 outliers, in the same year?

And 2 of the final 4 this year finished outside the top 25 ...

Dig those stilletos in.

Not really.

I don;t think you really understand how this works. You don't pick the numbers. It's just what happens. 90% of the time, you require a top 10 defense to win a title. The odds are tremebdously against you otherwise. Not having one is referred to as an outlier, an anomaly.

Understand yet?

Dig those stilletos in.
6th in the nation...I'm sorry look at those rankings 7 of those 10 teams were in the chase for their respective conference championships or won them. It would've been 8 if matty mauk woulda stayed healthy. Also all four playoff teams are in the top 10

Nah. We don't need to get back to fielding top 10 defenses because Houston beat FSU in the Dyckface Bowl.

Advertisement
Back