Regarding Diaz...

I look at a Diaz hire on defense like an Air Raid hire on offense. At least it'll be fun to watch even if the results aren't always great. It's going to be great to see us playing downhill on defense again.

The hope is that Diaz's philosophy will mesh perfectly with the talent base down here unlike at other stops where his results were either average or below average for the most part.

If he can't take the talent down here and consistently field top 10 defenses, then he's just an average DC. I don't want to hear any excuses for him. Either fix the defense to Miami standards, or you're a failure.

Chise, how long are you willing to give him to get this defense up to that standard? Just a heads up, the argument from many is that Miami shouldn't expect nor need a top 10 D. Like you, I feel we need a top 10 D.

As for the bolded part, this is why I have been involved in death arguments. All I have been saying is what you typed in bold, and people refuse to believe it simply bc he is our guy now.

He should get immediate results. Our roster is stacked, especially in the most important spot--DL. We've got a top 5 in the country DLine, and we have the best DL coach in the country. Therefore, a guy who relies on disruption and playing downhill should kill it right away.

All I know is that the great Miami teams were always top 10 or even top 5 defensively. We won primarily with stifling defenses. Now, we have limp facquits trying to claim that we don't need a top 50 defense because Houston beat FSU in a meaningless bowl game that FSU clearly didn't show up for with a defense that wasn't top 50.

These guys talk about wanting to play Miami defense again and be 4-3 and attack and all that. Real Miami defense is all that WITH great results. You can't leave the great results part out and claim you're playing real Miami defense.

This is all true and also I don't think we as fans are that split on Diaz. Most like the hire , it is the few loud morons that make it seem like we don't like the hire. IMO Richt has hit it outta the park with all his hires . Now if he can secure a top 15 class and get started on a top 5 class for 2017 then we will be off and running .

Advertisement
I agree - jury is out on this hire (don't think it'll be terrible but maybe just average or it could turn out great) but I'm happy we'll be using some aggression for sure.

I understand the board is divided. I don't know if our players fit his system. I do know I'm tired of watching of watching opposing qbs sit in the pocket with 10 seconds waiting for wrs to get open. So if we do nothing else but attack the qb and blitz and put pressure on the qb, I'm down with that.

I know you'll still be divided but I figured I'd point something out to you since you aren't sure our players fit his system... in large part the majority of high schools down here run a 4-3 attacking d. Several catholic 's hols run a 3-4 or play majority zone but that really is in the minority here. These kids have been raised being told to attack the qb. Pressure bust pipes. His system is most successful when he has good ends or olb. Down here that's probably what we produce most. His system is perfect for this area. Sit back & watch.

I understand the board is divided. I don't know if our players fit his system. I do know I'm tired of watching of watching opposing qbs sit in the pocket with 10 seconds waiting for wrs to get open. So if we do nothing else but attack the qb and blitz and put pressure on the qb, I'm down with that.

I know you'll still be divided but I figured I'd point something out to you since you aren't sure our players fit his system... in large part the majority of high schools down here run a 4-3 attacking d. Several catholic 's hols run a 3-4 or play majority zone but that really is in the minority here. These kids have been raised being told to attack the qb. Pressure bust pipes. His system is most successful when he has good ends or olb. Down here that's probably what we produce most. His system is perfect for this area. Sit back & watch.

[video=youtube;1XOPTF98cRM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XOPTF98cRM[/video]

This is Diaz's defense and they play zone literally the entire game. Not only zone, but soft zone with DBs back 8 yards off. DEs are standing up. Does that remind you of South Florida savage football??

MSU didnt give up more than 20 points until their 10th game of the year when they played bama.

Advertisement
MSU didnt give up more than 20 points until their 10th game of the year when they played bama.

Oh really? LOLOLOL smfh now we have cats just telling straight up lies:

Football - Schedule - Mississippi State University Bulldogs Official Athletic Site - HailState.com

Check out their 2nd, 5th, and 7th games....check out those 4 really tough out of conference opponents too. And be sure to note the video I posted, where they sit with corners off all game playing zone coverage and getting roasted with zero adjustment.

This is Diaz's defense and they play zone literally the entire game. Not only zone, but soft zone with DBs back 8 yards off. DEs are standing up. Does that remind you of South Florida savage football??

Well, that wasn't very encouraging.

I think a few people dramatically overreacting are making the community seem more divided than it is. You have a handful of blowhards who think this guy is absolutely terrible, and who are either trolls or not capable of getting over their own preconceived notions. However, beyond that it seems like most people see this as it is. We hired a pretty good defensive coordinator, who runs the style we prefer and has shown flashes of significant upside. Most of the rational debate is considering whether he can duplicate the instant success he has shown in his last 4 stops and then sustain it at some level beyond "pretty good".

This wasn't a sure thing hire by any means, but the real conversation is trying to see whether he projects from good to great and whether he can take the next step past that.

I agree its like 5 dudes who are so butt hurt over Butch remaining on the coaching unemployed list that they all have joined this club to **** everyone else off.

There is no way your a Miami fan who knows Miami's history and the traits of a true Miami athlete who doesnt get excited about the DC hire.

Not one stat has stated how its a perfect for Miami talent. Fast aggressive and simple, just like Miami high school football.

There are no sure thing hires and if you look into our history this is the first time we have gone out and went after prime coaches and paid them like we are a FN SEC team.

There is a reason why most Miami coaches who get "it" have their careers made here and these hires prove that not only does Richt fully understand Miami football it also proves that we are finally out from under the "I hate football witch" that has tormented us for years.

To not be excited at this time for Miami football says your simply not a Miami fan.

You're simply a cheerleader for the U. You are clueless in almost every post you make. While mostly everyone else is discussing X' and O's and the nuance of the game, you are running around the board stating how posters are butthurt... seriously grow the **** up!!!

Well, that wasn't very encouraging.

No, very familiar sadly.

Advertisement
I think a few people dramatically overreacting are making the community seem more divided than it is. You have a handful of blowhards who think this guy is absolutely terrible, and who are either trolls or not capable of getting over their own preconceived notions. However, beyond that it seems like most people see this as it is. We hired a pretty good defensive coordinator, who runs the style we prefer and has shown flashes of significant upside. Most of the rational debate is considering whether he can duplicate the instant success he has shown in his last 4 stops and then sustain it at some level beyond "pretty good".

This wasn't a sure thing hire by any means, but the real conversation is trying to see whether he projects from good to great and whether he can take the next step past that.

I agree its like 5 dudes who are so butt hurt over Butch remaining on the coaching unemployed list that they all have joined this club to **** everyone else off.

There is no way your a Miami fan who knows Miami's history and the traits of a true Miami athlete who doesnt get excited about the DC hire.

Not one stat has stated how its a perfect for Miami talent. Fast aggressive and simple, just like Miami high school football.

There are no sure thing hires and if you look into our history this is the first time we have gone out and went after prime coaches and paid them like we are a FN SEC team.

There is a reason why most Miami coaches who get "it" have their careers made here and these hires prove that not only does Richt fully understand Miami football it also proves that we are finally out from under the "I hate football witch" that has tormented us for years.

To not be excited at this time for Miami football says your simply not a Miami fan.

You're simply a cheerleader for the U. You are clueless in almost every post you make. While mostly everyone else is discussing X' and O's and the nuance of the game, you are running around the board stating how posters are butthurt... seriously grow the **** up!!!

There are very few posters that are as doom and gloom as you are, and its the majority of posters who are the ones discussing this reasonably to assess where Diaz will turn out between above average and elite. Go look at the likes on my initial post, and you will see that an estimate of 5 people who think this is irrevocably disastrous is actually a bit high.

It's clear to me that you are having trouble seeing beyond what you want to see when you think a calm, collected poster like Lu (who has stated he sees Diaz as good, if not necessarily better than that) agrees with you and the other blowhards that this hire is terrible.

There are very few posters that are as doom and gloom as you are, and its the majority of posters who are the ones discussing this reasonably to assess where Diaz will turn out between above average and elite. Go look at the likes on my initial post, and you will see that an estimate of 5 people who think this is irrevocably disastrous is actually a bit high.

It's clear to me that you are having trouble seeing beyond what you want to see when you think a calm, collected poster like Lu (who has stated he sees Diaz as good, if not necessarily better than that) agrees with you and the other blowhards that this hire is terrible.

It's clear to me you can't read. Nowhere have I said this is a bad hire. I actually think this is a good hire all things considered. There is nothing wrong discussing Diaz weakness and why he hasn't become elite. If anything I've stated several times that working with a greybeard like Coach Kool could be a difference maker.

I agree GS is over the top and it's getting old, but you guys are doing nothing but antagonizing him now and in turn that's what he is doing with you. There is the ignore button, but you guys would rather argue like petulant children.

Oh really? LOLOLOL smfh now we have cats just telling straight up lies:

Football - Schedule - Mississippi State University Bulldogs Official Athletic Site - HailState.com

Check out their 2nd, 5th, and 7th games....check out those 4 really tough out of conference opponents too. And be sure to note the video I posted, where they sit with corners off all game playing zone coverage and getting roasted with zero adjustment.

my bad i read the score wrong.

i also went through rivals. that is a defense with very few 4 stars.

if we have corners that can bump and run i would hope he would be willing to make adjustments, idc if it is some zone blitz the d line penetration looks great in his defense guys are coming around the edge sacking the qb and breaking free up the middle

Advertisement
if we have corners that can bump and run i would hope he would be willing to make adjustments, idc if it is some zone blitz the d line penetration looks great in his defense guys are coming around the edge sacking the qb and breaking free up the middle

Question: Can you play man under and 2 deep and still blitz the way Diaz likes too?

Question: Can you play man under and 2 deep and still blitz the way Diaz likes too?

ya i learned that in madden

That game is certainly discouraging, but why ignore the others? So far I've watched Bama, Southern Miss, Auburn, LSU, & Ole Miss. Miss St was very impressive in all of those games minus Ole Miss (especially given their talent vs those schools - minus Southern Miss).

The sacks, TFLs, & pressure on QBs in the games were so delightful to see. Stop the D'Onofrio comparisons please. It's not remotely the same defense. Not philosophically, nor schematically.

Diaz likes speed up front and just let's em loose. The result is pure havoc. Reminds me of Shaka Smart at VCU in terms of creating chaos for the PG (QB).

Again, we know the 1 downside to his defense is when he faces spread running teams (such as Baylor, Ole Miss, etc). I can only hope that Kuligowski plus Miami talent will solve a lot of that. Either way this defense is very exciting to watch.

He mixes things up, he disguises blitzes, he gets pressure with just 4 quite often, his secondary comes up quick to lay wood on RBs, his CBs cover the flats well, etc.

Don't just single out 1 game. I see a lot of good stuff in these games. Mainly the pressure on QBs.

Last edited:
Advertisement

That game is certainly discouraging, but why ignore the others? So far I've watched Bama, Southern Miss, Auburn, LSU, & Ole Miss. Miss St was very impressive in all of those games minus Ole Miss (especially given their talent vs those schools - minus Southern Miss).

The sacks, TFLs, & pressure on QBs in the games were so delightful to see. Stop the D'Onofrio comparisons please. It's not remotely the same defense. Not philosophically, nor schematically.

Diaz likes speed up front and just let's em loose. The result is pure havoc. Reminds me of Shaka Smart at VCU in terms of creating chaos for the PG (QB).

Again, we know the 1 downside to his defense is when he faces spread running teams (such as Baylor, Ole Miss, etc). I can only hope that Kuligowski plus Miami talent will solve a lot of that. Either way this defense is very exciting to watch.

He mixes things up, he disguises blitzes, he gets pressure with just 4 quite often, his secondary comes up quick to lay wood on RBs, his CBs cover the flats well, etc.

Don't just single out 1 game.

The Texas years are interesting to me in this regard, Diaz was willing to try and play more man than zone the year his D got beat up. Was that a deficiency of the CBs, unable to handle man? Did that close is mind to trying that again? or if he has athletes that can cover man, will be go back to it in some form or fashion?

It's clear to me you can't read. Nowhere have I said this is a bad hire. I actually think this is a good hire all things considered. There is nothing wrong discussing Diaz weakness and why he hasn't become elite. If anything I've stated several times that working with a greybeard like Coach Kool could be a difference maker.

I agree GS is over the top and it's getting old, but you guys are doing nothing but antagonizing him now and in turn that's what he is doing with you. There is the ignore button, but you guys would rather argue like petulant children.

You are going to bat for and defending all the guys spamming this sub with their armchair analysis that he's the worst thing ever. I felt like it was a safe assumption that you were in the camp with the blowhards.

If not, that just gives us more evidence that 99% of the comments on the "its a disaster" side are coming from one or two obsessives. When it comes down to it the fan base is viewing this collectively in about the same fashion (there are few people that view this as without risk either), which is the opposite of the divide that this thread discusses.

He didn't blitz at all in the first 3 drives you see in that video. He just sat back in an off man, zone defense and took it in the ***.

Clearing up a couple of things:

Kuligowski will have an impact, but he's not going to make a difference in how the coverage is played. If you like this type of off man zone defense, then you should have no issue.

Secondly, the Texas situation: the situation was that his DB coach believed they needed to play more man coverage. Diaz is not a fan of man coverage, really at all. Clearly, Diaz's zone coverage against spread teams gets roasted, you can watch it any time they play an above average passing offense.

His reason for playing zone isn't bc he is afraid of athleticism matchups. It's bc that is his defense. Just like Syracuse basketball. He's not going to wake up and suddenly change his system bc he's in Miami, b/c he doesn't believe in playing much man coverage. It's why he had tension with the DB coach at UT.

Advertisement
Back