Recruiting was a nice distraction from the real problem.....

canesman

Junior
The defensive scheme Golden uses will never work in today's college game.

The wishbone used to work very well. So did the triple option. However, they don;t work anymore because defenses are bigger, faster and stronger. The spread offense is the new wishbone.

Golden is an Al Groh disciple and is trying to implement Groh's 3-4 scheme. The scheme is considered VERY complex. You cannot run a complex scheme like this with the reduction in time the coaches are allowed to spend with the players. Al Groh was hired by Georgia Tech in 2009 and their defense got worse every year until he was fired. Paul Johnson commented the scheme requires way to much thinking and not enough reaction. Here is an article....

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-sports/2012/10/08/al-groh-fired-at-tech/

Add to the fact that you have a guy (D'Nofrio) coordinating the scheme that is not well liked by the players (according to numerous reports). Of course a kid would never say that publicly because they would be dismissed or benched immediately. I have no reason to doubt it is 100% true.

Al Golden cannot fire DnOfrio. The guy is his best friend and he convinced him to come to Miami instead of taking the Temple head job. Probably the main reason Al tried to bail.

I just do not see how Al Golden can succeed here in light of the defensive scheme he is married too. Somebody should be killed for giving Golden a 7 year extension. He has way too much leverage.

If we produce the same results defensively next year our defensive recruiting class will be a disaster.

Advertisement
Scheme is fine. It's the usage of it. Always has been. Always (in my opinion) will be. The failure to implement and utilize it properly seems terminal.

Advertisement
Scheme is fine. It's the usage of it. Always has been. Always (in my opinion) will be. The failure to implement and utilize it properly seems terminal.

The scheme is obviously not fine or else there wouldn't be constant complaining about it. There's one school in the entire country who run this properly (Alabama) and that's because that school is the closest thing to the NFL there is in college football.

Advertisement
Is there any chance of finding the people who start these posts and killing them?

Just asking.

I'd be willing to do the hard work.

It starts with the players...Could any of our defensive guys start for Ala-FSU-Auburn-UF-Mich State-LSU or even UCF? It's players who were recruited 3/4 years ago who fell behind in a coaching change..My personal opinion is if you can't stop em with a 3/4 then you may as well go to a 4/3 or 5/2 to help in the run and put the pressure on our DB's to stop a passing game...They ain't half bad...The moaps on this board think we've had elite talent on the defense the last few cycles, but that's been gone for a dozen years..

I think they moved chick to DT where i think he should be. he could be JJ watt caliber , he is not a D-end

Only thing they have in common is that they're white DEs. Chick is nowhere near as athletic or talented as Watt.

Its a combination of factors, which is what drives me crazy about this debate. Everyone wants the easy solution. "Its the scheme". Well its not that simple. The scheme in and of itself is perfectly adequate, IF you execute it properly, and you have the right personnel for it. IMO we do neither. Which is why we have the mess we do. Part of that is the coaches fault, and part of it is personnel we lack.

I honestly think that the coaches had NO confidence in our LBs and Safties this year, which led to the overly conservative scheming, especially up front. As our talent improves, I suspect they will get more aggressive. I dont think people really understand just how devastating the losses of EJ, Paul and Terry were to this defense. I mean our LB corps was basically decimated in one off season. Your LB corps is the backbone of your defense. Safety was also a mess this year. Our DL also left a lot to be desired.

So the answer is that its NOt just one thing. Its a combination of factors. Where the coaches DO deserve a ton of blame, is in continuing to force this defense while lacking the personnel to do so. I dont believe this defense CANNOT succeed, but it needs the right bodies OR the coaches need to adjust it to make the most of what we have. Last year was a major blunder in trying to force the issue.

Advertisement
Its a combination of factors, which is what drives me crazy about this debate. Everyone wants the easy solution. "Its the scheme". Well its not that simple. The scheme in and of itself is perfectly adequate, IF you execute it properly, and you have the right personnel for it. IMO we do neither. Which is why we have the mess we do. Part of that is the coaches fault, and part of it is personnel we lack.

I honestly think that the coaches had NO confidence in our LBs and Safties this year, which led to the overly conservative scheming, especially up front. As our talent improves, I suspect they will get more aggressive. I dont think people really understand just how devastating the losses of EJ, Paul and Terry were to this defense. I mean our LB corps was basically decimated in one off season. Your LB corps is the backbone of your defense. Safety was also a mess this year. Our DL also left a lot to be desired.

So the answer is that its NOt just one thing. Its a combination of factors. Where the coaches DO deserve a ton of blame, is in continuing to force this defense while lacking the personnel to do so. I dont believe this defense CANNOT succeed, but it needs the right bodies OR the coaches need to adjust it to make the most of what we have. Last year was a major blunder in trying to force the issue.

The calendar changes, the excuses don't.

Advertisement

The scheme is obviously not fine or else there wouldn't be constant complaining about it. There's one school in the entire country who run this properly (Alabama) and that's because that school is the closest thing to the NFL there is in college football.

Notre Dame?

That's how people used to describe us. I thought we were trying to get back to what we were?

Last edited:
229.gif

Advertisement
Back