Recruiting was a nice distraction from the real problem.....

The wishbone would still succeed if backed by elite talent.

When Georgia Tech is your measuring stick, everything will look mediocre.

Advertisement
B3CC54CE-48EE-419F-8F7C-540F81EB76AA.gif
[/URL][/IMG]
Is there any chance of finding the people who start these posts and killing them?

Just asking.

I'd be willing to do the hard work.

Something interesting I've noticed, and that's Bama getting tuned up by these spread teams. The base 3-4 isn't cutting it when teams are going 4-5 wide at an uptempo pace. You need equal athletes on the field. We can't stay with 4 linebackers on the field when teams are bringing in packages like that. Bama, with all their top ranked classes, has struggled with spread offenses the last two years as more of them emerge in the SEC.

You need a defensive answer when they widen the field with speed, and I don't think the answer is staying in a having four 240+ pound linebackers lumbering after wideouts in space.

Not enough talent nationally, nevermind locally to run this type of defense in college football. As is, the top tier 34 talent is spread pretty thin and at Miami, a program that isn't really nationally relevant anymore, you just won't succeed because you won't get enough talent that fits this style of football.

Advertisement
This isn't meant to be racist or anything like that.

South Florida kids are a different animal. They want to get after the qb and make big hits. They aren't wired to sit and wait for a play to come to them. They need to be unleashed and let let them flow to the football. They are brought up just playing aggressive and not having to really think about stuff.

It is a too complex system for these kids that aren't meant to play it.

Scheme is fine. It's the usage of it. Always has been. Always (in my opinion) will be. The failure to implement and utilize it properly seems terminal.

The scheme is obviously not fine or else there wouldn't be constant complaining about it. There's one school in the entire country who run this properly (Alabama) and that's because that school is the closest thing to the NFL there is in college football.

FSU also alternates from 4-3 to 3-4. In the NC game, the drop-off when Jernigan left the game was incredible. Even with the depth and star powered recruiting classes FSU has, as soon as Jernigan left the game Auburn walked down the field running between the tackles. My point is you have to have a beast at NT to not get your A** handed to you if you live and die by the 3-4. I hope we move back to what brought us success for 30 years.

Advertisement
Like I've been saying for the last couple years...

I'd be surprised if this defense ever works at Miami. Or it may "work" but it'll never be elite.

It's like Wisconsin tryin' to run the spread. A college football team is supposed to be a reflection of the local high school football and the athletes that play in it. **** near every high school in South Florida is 1-gap 4-3 so let's play a bunch of 3-4 2-gap at Miami. Yeah, that should work. LOL

And while I'm at it, we should be running the spread on offense.

Scheme is fine. It's the usage of it. Always has been. Always (in my opinion) will be. The failure to implement and utilize it properly seems terminal.

The scheme is obviously not fine or else there wouldn't be constant complaining about it. There's one school in the entire country who run this properly (Alabama) and that's because that school is the closest thing to the NFL there is in college football.

If I complain about you, will you be wrong?

System is fine. It's usage is pathetic. Primitive, inflexible (which is supposed to be its strength) and winnowed through less than capable players. You know who will have their stud, 3-4 OLB lined up on a WR? The freaking 49ers with Aldon Smith. They just know how to mitigate that happening better than this staff. To where it almost never does. Saying it's just the athletes and the scheme is a narrow, dismissive counterpoint. It's the usage, more than anything else, because every scheme has flaws. If it didn't work, it wouldn't be used by some of the best.

Relinquish the pearls. You have a much more targeted reason to vilify D'O: he can't work his own machine. Or you can invoke the spirit of Shannon's 4-3 for comforting thrills.

My caveat would be "is it the best thing for Miami to run?" And no. No. No. But that's a different conversation. I don't think these guys are giving this D a fair chance, because they use it so badly.

Last edited:
I love the 3-4. I think it's a great defense. I use it because it's symmetrical, confusing for offenses and easy to adapt. (i.e. shift in and out of different fronts and coverages)

However...

I dislike 2-gapping. I like the concept, it basically increases your numbers in the box, but I don't like it for college players. It's too hard to do and it's too passive in nature.

I'll take a 1-gap 3-4 all day.

I love the 3-4. I think it's a great defense. I use it because it's symmetrical, confusing for offenses and easy to adapt. (i.e. shift in and out of different fronts and coverages)

However...

I dislike 2-gapping. I like the concept, it basically increases your numbers in the box, but I don't like it for college players. It's too hard to do and it's too passive in nature.

I'll take a 1-gap 3-4 all day.

That's fair. The hesitation and inability to maul and pursue is against the strengths of the local talent base. Totally agree.

Advertisement
If it's any consolation to any of you (it isn't to me), from year 3 to year 4 is when Golden's defense has made the biggest jump everywhere he has been. If his d has a similar jump this year, we could end up ranked in the 70's (if we're really lucky). Fantastic, right? Slightly below mediocre.

Its a combination of factors, which is what drives me crazy about this debate. Everyone wants the easy solution. "Its the scheme". Well its not that simple. The scheme in and of itself is perfectly adequate, IF you execute it properly, and you have the right personnel for it. IMO we do neither. Which is why we have the mess we do. Part of that is the coaches fault, and part of it is personnel we lack.

I honestly think that the coaches had NO confidence in our LBs and Safties this year, which led to the overly conservative scheming, especially up front. As our talent improves, I suspect they will get more aggressive. I dont think people really understand just how devastating the losses of EJ, Paul and Terry were to this defense. I mean our LB corps was basically decimated in one off season. Your LB corps is the backbone of your defense. Safety was also a mess this year. Our DL also left a lot to be desired.

So the answer is that its NOt just one thing. Its a combination of factors. Where the coaches DO deserve a ton of blame, is in continuing to force this defense while lacking the personnel to do so. I dont believe this defense CANNOT succeed, but it needs the right bodies OR the coaches need to adjust it to make the most of what we have. Last year was a major blunder in trying to force the issue.

Agree with all of this, but I think AGs thinking is that since the defense is so complex, and takes 2 years to master, he doesn't want to teach a different scheme then come back and have to teach his defense. This would be year 1 if he did that and the defense would be in the same position as 2012. Instead, the seniors will have had 4 years with this D, and the juniors 3. Still, I'm tempering my expectations.

If it's any consolation to any of you (it isn't to me), from year 3 to year 4 is when Golden's defense has made the biggest jump everywhere he has been. If his d has a similar jump this year, we could end up ranked in the 70's (if we're really lucky). Fantastic, right? Slightly below mediocre.

Upward damnit!

**** yeah!

Advertisement
Wrong. The real problem was having Gaines, Armbrister, Cornileus, Highsmith, and Rodgers in the 2-deep.

I hope Demetrius and Chad are ready to drop back into coverage no more rushing up field, that will be there biggest college adjustment

There finally being olb's for a 3-4 should make the scheme better.

That's one of the biggest issue with the pass rush, Armbrister and Green aren't exactly prototypical guys for rushing off the edge.

Aqm, Smith, McCray, McCord, Aqm and Harris are all perfect hybrid guys for that position.

Last edited:
not sure how starting guys who couldn't beat out scrubs like Armbrister, Gaines, Highsmith etc. will suddenly make us better at those spots. Is Kirby better because we hope he is?

Advertisement
Back