Recruiting the State of Florida (A missed opportunity by our coaching staff).

We have had plenty of players from the state of Florida since 2012. Larkin, Angel, Jekiri, Huell and Lawrence. This is not football.

Advertisement
Only one Floridian on the current roster -- Stone. Nobody recruited out of HS. That could mean any number of things.

We have had plenty of players from the state of Florida since 2012. Larkin, Angel, Jekiri, Huell and Lawrence. This is not football.

Angel Rodriguez and Shane Larkin transferred in from other schools. Tonye was offered his senior year, but luckily for us only school that offered prior to that was FIU. Dewan fell on their lap. I'll leave it at that. I think there are a lot of Amp's out there. Less heralded in-state kids who want to be at Miami who can develop into serviceable assets.

Personally, I think it's a no-brainer. Been saying it for a while. With the direction college basketball has taken and all the "1 and done" players, I think Miami would be better served signing kids who plan on being here 3-4 years. And history has shown us that there aren't many "1 and done" kids coming out of Florida. Just my take.

GO CANES!!!

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Lonnie Walker the only One & Done player we've ever recruited? In the 35 years since hoops was resurected at the U? My point: I don't think we have to worry about signing kids who plan to be around for a while.

Advertisement
One of the Herald beat writers ought to ask Coach L directly, bringing up concrete examples like this kid; next presser he holds.

I recall with Tim Hardaway, Jr, the word from UM, supposedly, was that they viewed him as a very marginal prospect at best. He was, for sure, a streaky shooter but clearly was worth recruiting (his subsequent career at Michigan made that clear)!

This is who Coach L contacted so far that we know. There will be potentially 4 to 5 open scholarships so Miami could bring in a big class.

It could look like this: G Wesley Cardet, G Deebo Coleman, F JT Thor, F Moussa Diabate and F Ernest Ross. 4 kids from FL and a 5 star would be great.

Advertisement
I would agree with the premise of recruiting locally but I would go after four year players and would stay away from the one and done.
If we couldn't get Carey I dont think we have much chance with others.
At least not yet, not until we build up our resume and reputation.
Besides I think you can have a better winning program with four stars and high three stars that stay three to four years.

Instead of going after the Austin Rivers and Brandon Knights of the world go after the JJ Barea and Raja Bells.

Where would this program be if we didn't take Transfers and Graduate Transfers over the years? Pretty horrible to even contemplate.

Advertisement
Unfortunately, they've got no chance at Scottie, unless they're willing to drop the heavy bag and even that may not be enough.

They have to be present and try. If they didn't go after him hard then we would throw the coaching staff under the bus. You make a vaild point.

The coaching staff seems to recruit players from theses out of state basketball programs: Team Final (Nike EYBL PA), Team BABC (Nike EYBL-MA) and Team BBC (Adidas Gauntlet - DMV) to name a few.

The question is which program in Florida do they contact about players?

This is good news. The Miami assistants were watching the Brewley twins play. That is great news for in-state recruiting. Maybe they read this page. LOL.

Advertisement

h6fdimkdmkdwn1w44wpg

NATIONAL
-
STATE
POSITION
SCOTTIE
BARNES

RANK
N/A
6'8" | 210 LBS | PF
UNIVERSITY SCHOOL
FORT LAUDERDALE, FL
CLASS OF 2020
UNDECIDED

Who needs to keep him home? Miami
The competition: Barnes has a final eight, but Florida State, Kansas, Ohio State and Oregon look to be the biggest competition.
Why he’s so important? Barnes is a top 10 player from the Miami area who could give the Hurricanes a multiple position playmaker on both ends of the floor unlike any they’ve had in quite some time. The Hurricanes have done well finding and developing talent, but they’d love to send a message by landing an impact guy such as Barnes from their own back yard.

SHOOTING GUARD

erdi1ntgtkbsikxp90fq

NATIONAL
-
STATE
-
POSITION
DALLAN “DEEBO”
COLEMAN

RANK
N/A
6'5" | 195 LBS | SG
WEST NASSAU CNTY
CALLAHAN , FL
CLASS OF 2021
UNDECIDED

Dallan Coleman has not had the best of springs on the travel circuit but he has been tremendous this week before suffering a blow to the face on Tuesday evening. Reminiscent some of former Michigan standout Jordan Poole, Coleman is not a high-flying athlete but rather a skilled and shifty scorer that wields an effortless jumper that can take over a game in an instant. He hit four 3s in his Tuesday afternoon contest but is also a prospect that can play on the ball thanks to his sound skillset and overall feel for the game. Shot makers are en vogue which makes the product out of Jacksonville that much more valuable.

Recruitment: Things are relatively wide open as the local powers, Florida andFlorida State, have already offered, as have Georgetown, Georgia Tech, Iowa State and Oklahoma State.

Wide open is a good sign for Miami but they need to get involve with him immediately. He and Wes Cardet would be a really good backcourt.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back