Recruiting the State of Florida (A missed opportunity by our coaching staff).

Ultimately, playing time and style of play will prevail. I have heard the E1T1 connection to Nike schools only but the Emmit Williams to LSU deal has not been a huge success. Miami overall needs to do a better job of getting involved earlier with in-state kids along with establishing a better relationship with the in-state travel teams.

You are correct, Miami should have been the first school to offer these kids. There are plenty of other kids on the 15U and 14U team with the NightRydas, Team Breakdown and other travel teams that will be high major kids.

Miami needs to stop being late to the party.

Also, anyone who truly believes Nike shoes make you play better basketball is lacking intelligence.

Boobie was instrumental with getting Antonio Blakeney to Oakridge from the Tampa area. Boobie was coaching from the stands across the bench because he wasn’t allowed to coach at Oakridge anymore.

Also, money talks and whatever kids are placed on the EYBL circuit get pushed. This is common knowledge. Just talk with some of the premier program coaches that trust you and it’s not crazy to see the handouts and deals with families.

Emmitt Williams is a baller. Wish he was at Miami. But remember. He went from Lehigh. To IMG. To Oakridge.

But we definitely to get on these younger kids earlier. We need to be checking in on. 2 other kids I like that are young in the Orlando area are. Sam Walters. 6ft 7 incoming freshman. https://www.instagram.com/samwalters2023/ Also another kid out of Sanford is Jayden Williams (6ft 7 incoming 8th grader).

Attachments

• AE49F459-B769-452E-954D-EE2BF9938F64.png
    AE49F459-B769-452E-954D-EE2BF9938F64.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
Advertisement
Boobie was instrumental with getting Antonio Blakeney to Oakridge from the Tampa area. Boobie was coaching from the stands across the bench because he wasn’t allowed to coach at Oakridge anymore.

Also, money talks and whatever kids are placed on the EYBL circuit get pushed. This is common knowledge. Just talk with some of the premier program coaches that trust you and it’s not crazy to see the handouts and deals with families.

Emmitt Williams is a baller. Wish he was at Miami. But remember. He went from Lehigh. To IMG. To Oakridge.

But we definitely to get on these younger kids earlier. We need to be checking in on. 2 other kids I like that are young in the Orlando area are. Sam Walters. 6ft 7 incoming freshman. https://www.instagram.com/samwalters2023/ Also another kid out of Sanford is Jayden Williams (6ft 7 incoming 8th grader).

I have posted about Sam Walters and Jayden Williams on the thread about in-state recruiting. They play together on the NightRydas 14U team. I was told the 2023 recruiting class is loaded with multiple good in-state players. I think Nate Sasser is the headliner but there are other kids like the Brewley twins who are going to Northeast but the play travel basketball with Team Breakdown.

The early coach gets the recruit.

The NightRydas Elite program probably has about 10 or more kids between rising 9th and 12th grade that Miami should offer. This is a good start.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement

Sam Walters will be a pro when it's all said and done. Kid is oozing with talent and skill. Jayden Hastin (6'9" Post) is another 2023 kid from the Orlando area that you should keep an eye on. There aren't many 2023 kids around the country with his upside.

It is sad to think that Coach L has been at Miami 9 years and he has not established a better relationship with the people who run Team Breakdown and NightRydas Elite so he can get more South Florida kids on his roster.

Interesting move. IMG is a bigger stage. Miami has offered and he should be their biggest priority for the 2021 recruiting class.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I am not sure why Miami does not do this with the kids in the NightRydas Elite and Team Breakdown program since they are based in South Florida. Parents have to pay for unofficial visits so getting involved with the local kids and programs should be a higher priority.

Advertisement

A+ athlete ! Incredible dunker but that's about it!

I completely agree. Fresno, CA is a long way away from FL. I just think UCF or USF is a better fit for him. Zach Dawson went to OK. State then transferred to USF a year later. I see Niven taking the same path.

Advertisement
Back