Recruiting the State of Florida (A missed opportunity by our coaching staff).

TAYLOR
HENDRICKS

6'8" | 195 LBS | PF
UNIVERSITY SCHOOL
FORT LAUDERDALE, FL
CLASS OF 2022
UNDECIDED

Hendricks has vastly improved since last fall and it showed. He looks more confident, bigger, a bit quicker and much more refined from 20-feet and in. Hendricks still does have to improve in a few areas, but his upside is clearly evident.
Hendricks has already received offers from Florida, Florida State and Miami, and is set to visit the Hurricanes on Oct. 11. Look for all three in-state powers to do their best to keep him in their state as Hendricks is on the direct path towards a high-level recruitment in the coming years.

This is a good sign and hopefully more in-state kids will be on campus soon.

Advertisement
I agree with the premise of this thread. We seem to focus more on recruiting the northeast than the state of Florida. There are power 5 players all over the country from Florida that we don't seem to even contact.

Is basketball recruiting as shady in Florida as it is in football? Is that why we neglect Florida for the most part?

Is Northeast the best basketball team in South Florida or does University School still hold the title? Do they play each other this season?

northeast won like 5 games last year, let’s slow down on them being the top team. U-School is still starting 5 division 1 players, Will they be as dominant as they have been the last 2 years but they are still the best team until proven otherwise? Also Westminster, Ely, Dillard and Stranahan are teams I would take over Northeast.

stranahan and u-school in the same district this year should be a great battle purposely done by the state to try and limit Broward county from winning as many state titles as they have the past couple years

I agree with the premise of this thread. We seem to focus more on recruiting the northeast than the state of Florida. There are power 5 players all over the country from Florida that we don't seem to even contact.

Is basketball recruiting as shady in Florida as it is in football? Is that why we neglect Florida for the most part?
The Florida HS talent is getting better by leaps and bounds but not yet near the level of competition you get in the Catholic Leagues in the urban centers of the Middle Atlantic and Northeast. Certainly, we could and should do better in the state of Florida. And, I think we will!

Advertisement

The Nation is taking notice to the amount of basketball talent in the state of Florida. This is a golden opportunity for Miami to take the basketball program to the next level.

Advertisement

Yes it is, and these kids rarely show interest in Miami. If they blow up, they do whatever it takes to go to a traditional power, see Vern Carey Jr as an example of that. Miami has done well in recruiting outside of the state, especially in the northeast.

Eric Musselman and the new coaching staff at Arkansas have realized the importance of in-state recruiting.

Never mind that Arkansas is THE STATE FLAGSHIP in that state, they have a HUGE, and I mean HUGE following. They have historically recruited well in state, it's just that talent wise, the talent there has dropped off a cliff over the last 15 years.

Yes it is, and these kids rarely show interest in Miami. If they blow up, they do whatever it takes to go to a traditional power, see Vern Carey Jr as an example of that. Miami has done well in recruiting outside of the state, especially in the northeast.

1. How about the non-elite kids? Can’t we do better with them? We don’t recruit enough in Florida.

2. We got Dewan, he was a big player.

3. I am not saying stop recruiting OOS, I am just saying we can do a lot better in-state. Especially with so many unused scholarships, we can take some more Florida kids. There is room.

Advertisement

Devin Carter is a good player who will be a good player for 4 years at FIU, FAU or UCF.
Unfortunately, the roster at Miami needs two bigs more than another guard.

Advertisement

Granted his record at Wake was bad, he did recruit the state of Florida pretty well. From John Collins to Chaundee Brown, he also offered other players from the state of Florida.
Maybe Miami can add him to the coaching staff at some point.
No, I am not saying fire an assistant but if a role becomes available, he should get some consideration

Granted his record at Wake was bad, he did recruit the state of Florida pretty well. From John Collins to Chaundee Brown, he also offered other players from the state of Florida.
Maybe Miami can add him to the coaching staff at some point.
No, I am not saying fire an assistant but if a role becomes available, he should get some consideration

I don't believe that Danny Manning - despite the firing today - would EVER consider being a college Assistant Coach. I guess he might look at a mid-major college HC job but I doubt any of those programs would be all that interested in him at this point.

If he wants to stay in the game, I see him trying to resurrect his rep as an NBA Assistant.

I don't believe that Danny Manning - despite the firing today - would EVER consider being a college Assistant Coach. I guess he might look at a mid-major college HC job but I doubt any of those programs would be all that interested in him at this point.

If he wants to stay in the game, I see him trying to resurrect his rep as an NBA Assistant.

Agreed, man was a two time all star, he doesn't need to work his way up or deal with hormonal teenagers. NBA is probably his best option.

Advertisement
Back