Recruiting the State of Florida (A missed opportunity by our coaching staff).

TCU will be running its first of two elite camps that will be held in consecutive weekends. While the Horned Frogs remain focused on their 2020 class, they will bring to campus top-50 juniors Jaxson Robinson and Jerrell Colbert, along with talented sophomores Vincent Iwuchukwu and Austin Nunez.

This is a great idea and I hope it is something the coaches at Miami start. It would get a great way to get twenty kids between the 9th and 11th grades on campus so the coaches can evaluate talent and build relationships.

Advertisement
FYI, Last year FSU had 3 Floridians on their 12 man roster (only one of whom played serious minutes) and UF only had 2 of their 12 (one being Keith Stone). Florida HS ball still doesn't compare that well with the more basketball-rich areas in the country.

Also, IMG might positively skew the state's numbers -- basically being a sports factory, attracting kids from all over the country.

FYI, Last year FSU had 3 Floridians on their 12 man roster (only one of whom played serious minutes) and UF only had 2 of their 12 (one being Keith Stone). Florida HS ball still doesn't compare that well with the more basketball-rich areas in the country.

Also, IMG might positively skew the state's numbers -- basically being a sports factory, attracting kids from all over the country.

I actually don't count IMG or Montverde for that reason. Still, the state of Florida has over 15 Division 1 basketball players in most years.

Advertisement

I hope Coach L would have these type of recruiting events for in-state kids. This is a mix of seniors, juniors and sophomores. It would be very easy to do in South Florida. I could easily name five kids he should target.

We seem to invite and offer numerous good prospects, now, and year after year. My mouth waters thinking some of them will flash The "U" sign as they commit. But with very few and rare exceptions, they go elsewhere. Sure Coach L and the U has had FBI and other blemishes that affect recruiting. But seriously, isn't the overall lack of recruiting success worrisome at all; or maybe a mystery that could use some truth and light? Go Canes!

We seem to invite and offer numerous good prospects, now, and year after year. My mouth waters thinking some of them will flash The "U" sign as they commit. But with very few and rare exceptions, they go elsewhere. Sure Coach L and the U has had FBI and other blemishes that affect recruiting. But seriously, isn't the overall lack of recruiting success worrisome at all; or maybe a mystery that could use some truth and light? Go Canes!

You make a valid point and it is hard to gauge how serious a prospect is about Miami given that some of them use the official visit as a free vacation. That is not a huge issue but it comes down to relationships with the kid, parents and travel team. Miami has not done a good job of establishing relationships with the local travel teams (Nightrydas and Team Breakdown) so that has factored into our poor record of in-state kids on the roster.

Miami is great at recruiting kids from the Northeast, Philadephia and the DMV but they are in some serious competition as it is a 50-50 split if that kid wants to be that far from home. Especially if they don't play significant minutes as a freshman.

I agree with the staff they should offer 40 kids per cycle and get 10 on campus for official visits but they have to do a better job of getting in-state kids to visit unofficially. That is where the biggest gap in recruiting lies. Offering in-state kids in the 9th grade and having them on campus unofficially for three years would go a long ways in creating more interest in the basketball programs.

Both the NightRydas and Team Breakdown has some good players in the 2022 and 2023 class who should be Miami Hurricanes.

In recruiting, earlier is always better.

I actually don't count IMG or Montverde for that reason. Still, the state of Florida has over 15 Division 1 basketball players in most years.
15 players maybe but ... how many end up panning out, playing in an ACC-level league? And, if there are 15, where are they going? Doesn't seem to be to UF, FSU or Miami?

Advertisement
Miami had 2 on the roster, not 1 as this article says. Zach Johnson and Amp.
Maybe they are talking about this year where we will only have one -- Keith Stone. Also, if we didn't successfully recruit them out of HS, I don't see how you can count them. So ... Amp, yes. Zach, no. Stone, no. Had Dewan played as expected, he'd have been another.

Advertisement

With Carey at Duke and Barnes at Montverde, the spotlight is full on him this season. Let's see how he handles the bright lights. Miami has already offered.

Advertisement

It is good to see an in-state kid staying in-state to play his college basketball. FAU is improving along with the other Florida schools in basketball.

Eight prospects in the top 50 go to high school in California. Florida had the second most prospects on the list with six, while Pennsylvania landed five. Georgia landed four and Texas and North Carolina each had three.

Proof that there is basketball talent in the state of Florida.

Advertisement
Back