Recruiting the State of Florida (A missed opportunity by our coaching staff).

Thank you for the response. I completely agree with you. I think the state of Florida averages better 10 or more 4 and 5 star kids every year. I am not including the kids at Montverde and IMG as most of them are from other states and countries.

Coach L and staff should extend offers to these kids now and get them on campus for home games and unofficial visits. Having a solid relationship with these travel basketball programs would take Canes basketball to another level.

I like how Miami recruits the kids from PA and the DMV along with the NYC but if they would focus more on the state of Florida, the talent on the roster would start to compete for National Championships. IMO.

According to 247, this is the break down for the last few classes Miami has offered:
c/o 2021 - 4 offers are out (2 from Florida)
c/o 2020 - 18 offers are out (1 from Florida)
c/o 2019 - 35 offers are out (4 from Florida)
c/o 2018 - 39 offers are out (4 from Florida)

More than half the FL guys were offered their senior years, and some even after the HS season was over. How important is it to get in early? Rick Pitino was the first person to offer Anfernee Simons (1st Rd pick by Blazers last year, who wasn't even offered by Miami), and eventually committed to Louisville prior to the FBI investigation. Now, I do understand that it doesn't always go down like that, but it'd be nice to see Miami pull the trigger on our kids sooner than out of state schools. I think Coach L is one helluva coach, but sometimes it seems he doesn't trust his and/or his staff's evaluations enough to get on kids early. That's got to change if they're going to give themselves better chance of landing FL recruits.

GO CANES!!!

Advertisement
Mind-boggling to me how a top 10 national recruit from the Orlando area doesn't get an offer from Miami.
I coached against him when he was a sophomore ( 14 years old) super young. He was nasty then . He will be a big time player IMO because he can really shoot the ball. Anyways, he was all Louisville until the Scandal/Firing of Pitino. I think the only other school he would have went to was UF.

Simons was Edgewater, Montverde, Edgewater, IMG as a post grad Btw he is out of Altamonte Springs same as John Mooney *Starting PF for Notre Dame*

I coached against him when he was a sophomore ( 14 years old) super young. He was nasty then . He will be a big time player IMO because he can really shoot the ball. Anyways, he was all Louisville until the Scandal/Firing of Pitino. I think the only other school he would have went to was UF.

Simons was Edgewater, Montverde, Edgewater, IMG as a post grad Btw he is out of Altamonte Springs same as John Mooney *Starting PF for Notre Dame*
I know the Mooneys personally and both of those boys can hoop.

Orlando has been loaded IMO the last few years.

The First Academy - Chaundee Brown - Wake Forest Malik Williams
Winter Park - Wyatt Wilkes FSU
Edgewater - Anfernee Simons- Portland Trailblazers
Oakridge (They Recruit Heavy) - Antonio Blakeney- Chicago Bulls Emmitt WIlliams- LSU CJ walker - Oregon , Mike Devoe - starts as a freshman for Georgia Tech, Antwann Jones - Memphis *transfering to Creighton* multiple other D1 kids
Kissimmee Osceola - A few D1 kids as of late , best player transfered to Montverde - Omar Payne - UF
U School - Vernon Carey
Orlando Christian Prep *OCP* - Nassir Little(preciously Oakleaf Jax) - UNC - multiple other d1 kids
Boone - BJ Taylor UCF

Tampa/St. Pete - Serrell smith - Maryland, Amp lawrence - The U , Kevin Knox - The Knicks Tony Bradley - Utah Jazz - Bartow

Pensacola - Mitchell Robinson - The Knicks

Prep Schools/Basketball academys - IMG, Montverde Academy, West Oaks (Orlando) The whole SIAA (Sunshine Independent Athletic Association) Non FHSAA affiliated

That is just a small dose of the last 3 -4 years of real Florida boys that are not just transplants. There are multiple other high level players that we don't recruit. I agree and hope that we start to recruit more Florida boys earlier.

That is an amazing list. I don't think most people realize how much basketball talent is in the state of Florida. Also, this is why I think Miami should play UCF. Miami needs to play in Orlando for recruiting purposes. I would also like to see Miami play USF, UF, FGCU, FIU and FAU in the non-conference portion of the schedule. All other sports play multiple schools in the state of Florida except the football team and men's basketball.

Advertisement
According to 247, this is the break down for the last few classes Miami has offered:
c/o 2021 - 4 offers are out (2 from Florida)
c/o 2020 - 18 offers are out (1 from Florida)
c/o 2019 - 35 offers are out (4 from Florida)
c/o 2018 - 39 offers are out (4 from Florida)

More than half the FL guys were offered their senior years, and some even after the HS season was over. How important is it to get in early? Rick Pitino was the first person to offer Anfernee Simons (1st Rd pick by Blazers last year, who wasn't even offered by Miami), and eventually committed to Louisville prior to the FBI investigation. Now, I do understand that it doesn't always go down like that, but it'd be nice to see Miami pull the trigger on our kids sooner than out of state schools. I think Coach L is one helluva coach, but sometimes it seems he doesn't trust his and/or his staff's evaluations enough to get on kids early. That's got to change if they're going to give themselves better chance of landing FL recruits.

GO CANES!!!

Whoa. That list highlights the point of this thread. Those numbers are eye opening. I agree that the time is now to offer the kids from the 2021, 2022 and 2023 class. I am not asking for a commitment but it is more of building a relationship with the kids, parents, high school coaches and travel teams those kids play for.

Thanks for the information on the 2023 class. Loaded is accurate. Miami needs to land atleast 4 or 5 of those kids.

Just from this post, Miami in-state recruiting should focus on these kids over the next four years.

2020 - Scottie Barnes (NightRydas), Jamille Reynolds (NightRydas)

2021- Wes Cardet (Team Breakdown), Moussa Diabate (NightRydas), Dallan "Deebo" Coleman (E1T1), Warren Kidd and Ernest Ross (Game Elite)

2022- Faheim Meran (Team Breakdown) Jean Montero (NightRydas), Gregg Glenn III and Eric Dailey Jr.

2023-Nate Sasser, Sam Walters, Jaylen Carey, DJ Delancy, Jayden Hastings. (All NightRydas), Ryan Bewley and Matthew Bewly (Team Breakdown).

Start early and finsh strong.

GO CANES.

Last edited:

FUTURE INTIMIDATOR- Jalen Duren

vjittnjyf9prdmgnwu8h

JALEN
DUREN

6'9" | 230 LBS | C
ROMAN CATHOLIC
PHILADELPHIA, PA
CLASS OF 2022
UNDECIDED

The award: I probably could have just left it at intimidator because the rising sophomore is already pretty darn intimidating. Looking at his already chiseled 6-foot-9 frame and how physically he plays, it's scary to think where he will be a few years from now. Good luck to anybody trying to check this guy or keep him off the glass in FIBA U16 play. He's looking like a potential top five player in his class.
The recruitment: Maryland, Miami and Penn State have offered early and his recruitment will surely take place at the highest of levels.

Why he could be a five-star: I've yet to see a better combination of size, skill and toughness in a class of 2022 big man than I have with Duren. He's got great hands, doesn't get moved around and plays both ends with passion. If we ranked the class today, Duren probably checks in at No. 2 behind Bates.

Early recruitment: He has offers from Maryland, Miami and Penn State, but he'll be able to name his college choice if he wants.

Miami has offered an out of state 9th grader. This proves they do offer kids in the 9th grade to build a relationship with the kids, his parents and coaches. If the coaching staff would recruit the kids in Florida like they do the kids in the DMV and Philadelphia area then Miami will be a top 25 team every year moving forward.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We need to be involved in more kids from 2021 and 22 only one offer off the new list provided. Come’on Coach L pick it up.

I hope so. People make a big deal out of what Penny Hardaway is doing at Memphis. It is impressive but the core of his roster is from Memphis, TN and his dealings with the local AAU team. Of course, he was the former coach but every school need to have that type of relationship with a travel basketball team from their state.

I love Penny, but from all accounts....let's just say Memphis boosters have been "re-energized" like no time since Coach Cal.

UM

Advertisement
I love Penny, but from all accounts....let's just say Memphis boosters have been "re-energized" like no time since Coach Cal.

UM

I agree. Penny is one of their own giving the fanbase what they want. Local kids along with a few other talented kids making the team competitive. The preseason expectations for Memphis is very high which normally generates season tickets selling out along with home games.

We need to be involved in more kids from 2021 and 22 only one offer off the new list provided. Come’on Coach L pick it up.

I agree. I am not saying the coaching staff should stop recruiting kids from Pennsylvania and the DMV but they need to add more kids for Florida. I think that is the missing piece that will propel the team to the next level. There are talented basketball players in the state of Florida.

Calvary Christian is in Fort Lauderdale and he is from Pompano Beach. I hope Miami has offered and gets involved soon. Miami has to start getting kids within a hour from campus.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It almost feels like we are late to the game on a lot of these Florida kids. No idea why.

In fairness, if you start now on the class on 2021, 2022 and 2023 then you would be get a big jump on the competition.

For example, if the coaches established a relationship with the following travel teams: NightRydas (based in Miami, FL per twitter), Game Elite (Jacksonville, FL per twitter), Team Breakdown (Fort Lauderdale, FL per team website) and E1T1 (Orlando, FL?), then these players should be on the Miami radar (radar meaning they have received an offer and Miami is actively recruiting them).

2021- CG Wes Cardet (Team Breakdown), PF Moussa Diabate (NightRydas), SG Dallan "Deebo" Coleman (E1T1) and PF Ernest Ross (Game Elite)

2022- PG Faheim Meran (Team Breakdown) CG Jean Montero (NightRydas), G/F Gregg Glenn III (NightRydas), Warren Kidd and G/F Eric Dailey Jr.

2023-CG Nate Sasser, SF Sam Walters, C Jaylen Carey, SG DJ Delancy, PG Jayden Hastings. (All NightRydas), SF Ryan Bewley and SF Matthew Bewly (Team Breakdown).

I know Miami offers about 40 kids per year but they should focus on 10 kids (maybe 5 in-state kids and 5 out of state kids) to keep it simple. IMO.

Last edited:

Auburn had a basketball recruiting weekend where they brought multiple recruits to their campus, some on official visits and some on unofficial visits. They got a commitment out of one 2021 recruit and moved up on the list of a few 2020 recruits. Auburn has another event like this planned for the fall.

Miami should do the same thing with these prospects:

2020- Scottie Barnes and Jamille Reynolds

2021- CG Wes Cardet (Team Breakdown), PF Moussa Diabate (NightRydas), SG Dallan "Deebo" Coleman (E1T1) and PF Ernest Ross (Game Elite)

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back