Recruiting talent

Weown makes a very good point. It's been overlooked because certain people automatically assumed golden was the second coming of butch and had to be a million times better than shanolian in regards to things that are actually related to football play. Is the talent really THAT much better, if at alll?

Yes

Advertisement
Our talent is horrible and worse than it was under Randy. Maybe you guys will realize that when we go 6-6 this year.

I disagree! We have far more talented depth in most areas (not DT). If we go 6-6 this yr it will be due to our crappy DC and a young QB.

Not even close. Sean Spence, Lamar Miller, Leonard Hankerson, Travis Benjamin, Colin McCarthy, ADewale Ojomo, Allen Bailey, Brandon Harris, DVD, Orlando Franklin...those are some of the players who were on Randy's 4th year team. Our talent was WAY better going into that year than it is going into this year (Golden's fourth year). In fact, it's not really close. Golden is a horrible recruiter and evaluator of talent.

That's the stuff I'm talking about always bashing...Sad

Our talent is horrible and worse than it was under Randy. Maybe you guys will realize that when we go 6-6 this year.

I disagree! We have far more talented depth in most areas (not DT). If we go 6-6 this yr it will be due to our crappy DC and a young QB.

Not even close. Sean Spence, Lamar Miller, Leonard Hankerson, Travis Benjamin, Colin McCarthy, ADewale Ojomo, Allen Bailey, Brandon Harris, DVD, Orlando Franklin...those are some of the players who were on Randy's 4th year team. Our talent was WAY better going into that year than it is going into this year (Golden's fourth year). In fact, it's not really close. Golden is a horrible recruiter and evaluator of talent.

I disagree, Shannon didn't get left with holding the Nevin ****head crap with the NCAA. We lost a lot of kids the 1st couple of years because of that crap. Thank God that some of the guys had the balls to look past that and come here; Duke, Tracy, Coley, etc.

Sorry, dude. Can't compare apples to oranges. Heck, a lot of people we're says we were going to get the death penalty, that's scared a lot of kids bro!

This is silly to even have to entertain but here you go:

Duke > Miller
Coley > Hankerson and Benjamin
Tracy > Harris
Burns or Gunter > DVD (He was pretty bad here)
Flowers > Franklin
Perryman = Spence

McCarthy, Ojomo and Bailey were all better than most of our guys now but we are still young. Those guys were not really great till their senior year and Ojomo really wasn't great. Good player - not great!

What a horrible post. Duke is arguably better than Miller, but he sure hasn't proven it yet. ROFL @ Coley being better than Hankerson. Hankerson is one of THREE UM wide receivers in the history of the program with over 1,000 yards in a season. Coley is one of the most talented players we've had in a while, but he's not at Hankerson's level yet. Also, ROFL @ Perryman being equal to Spence. Spence was better as a freshman than Perryman ever will be. Burns hasn't done **** yet.

It's a fact that Randy's 4th year team had better talent than Golden's.

I disagree, Shannon didn't get left with holding the Nevin ****head crap with the NCAA. We lost a lot of kids the 1st couple of years because of that crap. Thank God that some of the guys had the balls to look past that and come here; Duke, Tracy, Coley, etc.

Sorry, dude. Can't compare apples to oranges. Heck, a lot of people we're says we were going to get the death penalty, that's scared a lot of kids bro!

Duke > Miller
Tracy > Harris
Flowers > Franklin
Perryman = Spence

McCarthy, Ojomo and Bailey were all better than most of our guys now but we are still young. Those guys were not really great till their senior year and Ojomo really wasn't great. Good player - not great!

What a horrible post. Duke is arguably better than Miller, but he sure hasn't proven it yet. ROFL @ Coley being better than Hankerson. Hankerson is one of THREE UM wide receivers in the history of the program with over 1,000 yards in a season. Coley is one of the most talented players we've had in a while, but he's not at Hankerson's level yet. Also, ROFL @ Perryman being equal to Spence. Spence was better as a freshman than Perryman ever will be. Burns hasn't done **** yet.

Hankerson was a disappointment his first three years in case you don't remember. Yes he broke the record but at this point in their careers, Hankerson wasn't anything near Coley.

Apologize to Duke Johnson for having the audacity to say he hasn't proven anything yet. That's how I know you're wrong. Miller didn't accomplish what he was supposed to. Underperformed and isn't all that great now.

Burns is young and hasn't proven anything, but DVD was not good here at all and Artie is already better as a Freshman than DVD was as a Senior.

Spence may have had a better Freshman year than Perryman but he really underperformed here. He was the best player on a mediocre defense. Big whoop. DP has left a bigger impact than Spence did.

Advertisement

Duke > Miller
Tracy > Harris
Flowers > Franklin
Perryman = Spence

Hankerson was a disappointment his first three years in case you don't remember. Yes he broke the record but at this point in their careers, Hankerson wasn't anything near Coley.

Apologize to Duke Johnson for having the audacity to say he hasn't proven anything yet. That's how I know you're wrong. Miller didn't accomplish what he was supposed to. Underperformed and isn't all that great now.

Burns is young and hasn't proven anything, but DVD was not good here at all and Artie is already better as a Freshman than DVD was as a Senior.

Spence may have had a better Freshman year than Perryman but he really underperformed here. He was the best player on a mediocre defense. Big whoop. DP has left a bigger impact than Spence did.

So what is perryman? Lol

Artie as a freshman was not better than DVD in his last year. Your letting his ceiling cloud his on the field production. I agree mainly with weown but we will see how the Coley, Duke, Perryman, Jamal Carter, Deon Bush, etc. play this year

Woah buddy don't lie on Spence like that the others ok but dont you like on Spence

He's not just lying about Spence but he's lying about Hank as well... Hank was balling as a junior... Hank was also a better route runner and blocker than Coley, he just had brick for hands... Coley is a beast but my goodness, as a pure wideout he has a lot to prove... Hank had an outstanding final 2 years... You can't complain about a back who ran over a 1k... Also can we credit RS for getting Duke's commitment as a sophomore or junior... So he already had a back up to when Miller left... Duke is more dynamic but Miller was our last 1k and during his RS-freshman yr he shared the backfield with 2 other backs... Harris was an AA performer, Howard isn't on his level yet... Burns isn't better than DVD right now... DVD was frustrating but I don't think anyone can find a highlight of him losing his man in coverage... The guy just didn't get picks...

The Spence comment is ridiculous... Spence was a best player on a mediocre defense? Hahaaa! Boy you a fool! Then what is DP on a terrible defense? I like DP but to say anyone left more of an impact on a defense that gives up 500+ yards a game is ridiculous... No one has made an impact on our defense...

The players were better and I think that's why RS was fired... Some people were predicting the 2010 squad to win at least 11 games... You don't see that type of prediction now...

Our guys are talented now but the proclamation of some of these guys ability is a bit overblown... Someone said DP isn't as much of a playmaker as AQM, McCord, and Bush... But what have any of those kids done as of now? I mean 6'2 220 pound Marcus Robinson made more of an impact than any of those guys at the same stage in his career... Are we more talented? arguably... Are they better as of yet? No...

Our early schedule will mean success or mediocrity for the season and recruiting. We gotta beat Louisville and Nebraska. That will give us tons of momentum for the remaining schedule, would probably mean some big time early commits and some surprise commits (DT & CB)

I'm with you, man. I'm so tired of seeing people who apparently think that there is some God given right to local talent (the "local lock" is weakening, not just here, but everywhere) and that every kid from South Florida that signs elsewhere is a big miss. I'm not bothered by the kids that have 50 offers who blow Miami off because the Canes didn't call them twice a day, a lot of those guys are going to play the game and go elsewhere regardless if we won 9 games or 12. I am far more bothered by getting kids who can play (like we have been doing recently) and either not developing them properly or putting them in positions where they can't succeed. We need talent throughout the roster to be developed far more than we need one extra five star per recruiting cycle.

We won't lose a game because we have Joe Yearby instead of Sony Michel, but we will lose if we don't get the best out of Gus Edwards and Walter Tucker to compliment Yearby and the line to block for those kids. We won't lose because we have Mike Wyche in the middle instead of Travonte Valentine, but we will lose if we scheme our kids poorly and give them no chances to make plays.

46.gif

Advertisement
People don't realize it...and I've said it a million times, we never really did that well with the marquee recruits. FSU outrecruited us for those kids ...always.

The Miami kids were the very good, under the radar kids, who worked harder and had a chip on their shoulders. The kids who refused to get beat. Don't let the 2001 team mislead you.

Until we get a stadium you can forget closing on top talent. They don't want to play in front of 50k empty seats. And fans don't want to to go that dump to watch a game. Sad to say this is the way this program is going to stay.

I wonder what our average attendance was like when Lou Saban and Howard Schnellenberger were recruiting the kids in '78 and '79 that led to our success in the early '80's.

Until we get a stadium you can forget closing on top talent. They don't want to play in front of 50k empty seats. And fans don't want to to go that dump to watch a game. Sad to say this is the way this program is going to stay.

I wonder what our average attendance was like when Lou Saban and Howard Schnellenberger were recruiting the kids in '78 and '79 that led to our success in the early '80's.
Dont know exact numbers but it was atrocious.

47k was the average in 2001. was the stadium the reasons why more fans didnt go watch games in the vaunted OB? we never sold out or got close to it in the OB outside of the same games we sell out or get close to it in SLS.

Advertisement
Howard-JJ-Erickson-Davis used to take low rated kids and coach em up...Current staff seems to take highly rated kids and coach em down..I really think today's recruits pay attention to where a guy was rated and if he got a look see from the NFL after years at the "U". The embarassment of the Louisville stand up defense with no counter from our coaches speaks volumes...

They definitely took low rated kids and made them stars but they also had more than their fair share of top tier recruits. For every Santana Moss there was a Dre, for every Mckinnie there was a Vernon Carey, for every Vilma there was a DJ, for every Portia there was a Willis and so on.

Weown makes a very good point. It's been overlooked because certain people automatically assumed golden was the second coming of butch and had to be a million times better than shanolian in regards to things that are actually related to football play. Is the talent really THAT much better, if at alll?

The talent going into Al's fourth year is adequate but in no way as good as Randy's fourth year, the problem is that while Randy had more talent the recruiting fell off hard after 08 and went straight to the gutter in 2010 and 2011. To this day Al hasn't signed a class as talented as 08 but his classes have been steady and 2014 was the best yet. So for all the whining I have done about the gut, recruiting has in a way gone better than it did under Randy.

Duke > Miller
Tracy > Harris
Flowers > Franklin
Perryman = Spence

So what is perryman? Lol

Artie as a freshman was not better than DVD in his last year. Your letting his ceiling cloud his on the field production. I agree mainly with weown but we will see how the Coley, Duke, Perryman, Jamal Carter, Deon Bush, etc. play this year

There were some great players on the 2010 team, and they went 7-6. It was more that the fact Jacory struggled, or Gordon did nothing while here, or Ray Ray, Forston, Aldarius and Vernon vastly underperformed relative to their talent level. There were gaps in depth and symmetry everywhere. Very much like what we saw with Golden's team last year. I am worried about QB and OL for this upcoming season, but I see at team with equivalent 1st-team talent to 2010, a vastly improved attitude for that talent to outperform the Shannon year production, and fewer gaps at key position. QB is the x-factor here, along with whether or not Wyche gets in and delivers. But this team is overall better, and ... and this is the main difference vs. the Shannon years ... the talent continues to improve. The 2014 class is super-strong, the 2015 class should be just as good. The 2010 and 2011 classes of Shannon were pure crap.

Where we may have a problem is game day coaching. I was not a huge fan of Whipple or Lovett, but they were better than our current coordinators, at least up until now. Our line coaches were also better. Golden is better than Shannon, but below him, there's a whole lot of meh with this staff.

Advertisement

Duke > Miller
Tracy > Harris
Flowers > Franklin
Perryman = Spence

So what is perryman? Lol

There were some great players on the 2010 team, and they went 7-6. It was more that the fact Jacory struggled, or Gordon did nothing while here, or Ray Ray, Forston, Aldarius and Vernon vastly underperformed relative to their talent level. There were gaps in depth and symmetry everywhere. Very much like what we saw with Golden's team last year. I am worried about QB and OL for this upcoming season, but I see at team with equivalent 1st-team talent to 2010, a vastly improved attitude for that talent to outperform the Shannon year production, and fewer gaps at key position. QB is the x-factor here, along with whether or not Wyche gets in and delivers. But this team is overall better, and ... and this is the main difference vs. the Shannon years ... the talent continues to improve. The 2014 class is super-strong, the 2015 class should be just as good. The 2010 and 2011 classes of Shannon were pure crap.

Where we may have a problem is game day coaching. I was not a huge fan of Whipple or Lovett, but they were better than our current coordinators, at least up until now. Our line coaches were also better. Golden is better than Shannon, but below him, there's a whole lot of meh with this staff.

The thing with Shannon was that once he got his main target recruit he would promise or wouldn't recruit another player at the position which lead to depth issues that you've stated. And the attitude of this team is trying to bring back The U you see it in certain commits and recruits. I believe Golden should shake up the staff a bit if they don't perform snatch someone under Alabama's staff to coach up the defense and it also leads to good and possibly great coaching for example Pruitt in his year with FSU also get a good or maybe great recruiter as well.

Duke > Miller
Tracy > Harris
Flowers > Franklin
Perryman = Spence

Wrong again. Hankerson didn't do anything his freshman and sophomore years, but he was very good his junior year and dominant his senior year.

Learn to read, dip****, I didn't say that duke Johnson hasn't proven anything yet. I said he hasn't proven he's better than Miller, which is true. Spence did not "underperform" at all here. He was an excellent player and the best LB we've had since Beason. Nobody is even close. DP hasn't left a "bigger"impact here at all. He hasn't been close to as good as Spence. He's about equal to Colin McCarthy. DP is good at making tackles 5 yards down the field and he's not the playmaker Spence was. Saying that Artie Burns was better than DVD is just hysterically wrong. Artie Burns did nothing besides get burned game after game last year. DVD was a solid corner his last two years here. DP isn't even the best player on a HORRIBLE defense. That's Tracy Howard.

2010 Hurricanes talent > 2014 Hurricane talent

Learn to read, dip****, I didn't say that duke Johnson hasn't proven anything yet. I said he hasn't proven he's better than Miller, which is true. Spence did not "underperform" at all here. He was an excellent player and the best LB we've had since Beason. Nobody is even close. DP hasn't left a "bigger"impact here at all. He hasn't been close to as good as Spence. He's about equal to Colin McCarthy. DP is good at making tackles 5 yards down the field and he's not the playmaker Spence was. Saying that Artie Burns was better than DVD is just hysterically wrong. Artie Burns did nothing besides get burned game after game last year. DVD was a solid corner his last two years here. DP isn't even the best player on a HORRIBLE defense. That's Tracy Howard.

2010 Hurricanes talent > 2014 Hurricane talent

Why the vitriol? You are on a Canes board. You are discussing the Canes. Enjoy it. I don't understand folks here that get mad if someone doesn't share their opinion or just want to yell about slurpers and moaners.

I think Duke has already proven to be better then Miller.

Both played 2 years here. Duke has more yards from scrimmage, better YPC, more TDs in 3 less games. Duke was on pace for a 1300-1400 yard season last year.

Advertisement
Back