Recruiting talent

RohanMotor

Sophomore
I've read a lot of people posting and venting about how we can't close on talent or elite recruits. I get it,"win and they will come". I also get we can't win without good recruits. We have all been disappointed by the top guys who have given us the cold shoulder and left for other schools.

What I'd like to say is, we haven't closed on everyone, we haven't had big NSD commits on national tv. But I do have to say, we are getting the talent more and more each year. Soon we will start landing the the top recruits again but I'm not upset. See, these guys who are here can ball, and I'm looking forward to it! Yes, we still need some pieces, NT would be nice, but I think Wyche will fill in nicely for the time being.

I'm just tired of reading about not landing this guy or that guy. Yeah, I'm not happy we didn't get him, but I'm not going to cry about it. I'm **** happy about the guys we got, because they are definitely an improvement in talent and some of them are elite.

I'm praying that the defense comes out looking a lot different then it has the last couple years. I'm not going to bash coaches, but this is the year they have to show up. It up to them now, no excuses.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I'm with you, man. I'm so tired of seeing people who apparently think that there is some God given right to local talent (the "local lock" is weakening, not just here, but everywhere) and that every kid from South Florida that signs elsewhere is a big miss. I'm not bothered by the kids that have 50 offers who blow Miami off because the Canes didn't call them twice a day, a lot of those guys are going to play the game and go elsewhere regardless if we won 9 games or 12. I am far more bothered by getting kids who can play (like we have been doing recently) and either not developing them properly or putting them in positions where they can't succeed. We need talent throughout the roster to be developed far more than we need one extra five star per recruiting cycle.

We won't lose a game because we have Joe Yearby instead of Sony Michel, but we will lose if we don't get the best out of Gus Edwards and Walter Tucker to compliment Yearby and the line to block for those kids. We won't lose because we have Mike Wyche in the middle instead of Travonte Valentine, but we will lose if we scheme our kids poorly and give them no chances to make plays.

I've read a lot of people posting and venting about how we can't close on talent or elite recruits. I get it,"win and they will come". I also get we can't win without good recruits. We have all been disappointed by the top guys who have given us the cold shoulder and left for other schools.

What I'd like to say is, we haven't closed on everyone, we haven't had big NSD commits on national tv. But I do have to say, we are getting the talent more and more each year. Soon we will start landing the the top recruits again but I'm not upset. See, these guys who are here can ball, and I'm looking forward to it! Yes, we still need some pieces, NT would be nice, but I think Wyche will fill in nicely for the time being.

I'm just tired of reading about not landing this guy or that guy. Yeah, I'm not happy we didn't get him, but I'm not going to cry about it. I'm **** happy about the guys we got, because they are definitely an improvement in talent and some of them are elite.

I'm praying that the defense comes out looking a lot different then it has the last couple years. I'm not going to bash coaches, but this is the year they have to show up. It up to them now, no excuses.

Wyche has yet to enroll and there seems to be some question about whether or not that he will.

Wyche has yet to enroll and there seems to be some question about whether or not that he will.

Oh yeah since when has his summer enrollment been in question and what is being questioned?

Go Canes

Advertisement
Howard-JJ-Erickson-Davis used to take low rated kids and coach em up...Current staff seems to take highly rated kids and coach em down..I really think today's recruits pay attention to where a guy was rated and if he got a look see from the NFL after years at the "U". The embarassment of the Louisville stand up defense with no counter from our coaches speaks volumes...

I'm with you, man. I'm so tired of seeing people who apparently think that there is some God given right to local talent (the "local lock" is weakening, not just here, but everywhere) and that every kid from South Florida that signs elsewhere is a big miss. I'm not bothered by the kids that have 50 offers who blow Miami off because the Canes didn't call them twice a day, a lot of those guys are going to play the game and go elsewhere regardless if we won 9 games or 12. I am far more bothered by getting kids who can play (like we have been doing recently) and either not developing them properly or putting them in positions where they can't succeed. We need talent throughout the roster to be developed far more than we need one extra five star per recruiting cycle.

1000000000000000000000000000000% agree

We won't lose a game because we have Joe Yearby instead of Sony Michel, but we will lose if we don't get the best out of Gus Edwards and Walter Tucker to compliment Yearby and the line to block for those kids. We won't lose because we have Mike Wyche in the middle instead of Travonte Valentine, but we will lose if we scheme our kids poorly and give them no chances to make plays.

I have to agree...and to add to that we have had some talent and we have had big announcements on TV

Jermaine Grace (ESPN)
AQM-(Army All American Game)

Deon Bush (Army All American Game)
Tracy Howard (ESPN Signing DAY)
McCord (Army All American Game)

We got National Exposure and we have some good talent It is about making sure we put them in a position to win.
Having DT's drop back in coverage is not the answer and yes Gus better fire up that bus and get low in those pads
and gain some yards....We could use a better compliment of players and simplifying the defense and making better schemes.

5.png

1000000000000000000000000000000% agree

I have to agree...and to add to that we have had some talent and we have had big announcements on TV

Jermaine Grace (ESPN)
AQM-(Army All American Game)

Deon Bush (Army All American Game)
Tracy Howard (ESPN Signing DAY)
McCord (Army All American Game)

We got National Exposure and we have some good talent It is about making sure we put them in a position to win.
Having DT's drop back in coverage is not the answer and yes Gus better fire up that bus and get low in those pads
and gain some yards....We could use a better compliment of players and simplifying the defense and making better schemes.

I think part of the reason there's been so much negative reaction to the misses thus far in the 2015 cycle is because of the disappointing finish to the previous class. That class, which was obviously very good, was largely locked up a few months ahead of time before a few key pieces bolted.

We struck out on our NSD targets in February after losing multiple four-star recruits who opted to decommit shortly after Golden's flirtation with Penn State. There were no announcements in our favor a few months ago. Add onto that we added two completely obscure, low-rated o-linemen after NSD, which also angered a lot of fans. There doesn't seem to much positive momentum surrounding the program after the late-season collapse, late recruiting misses/decommitments, and tepid start to the current class.

Not to speak for anyone else, but I believe many were hoping we'd be off to a much stronger start after all the early talk of how this could be Golden's strongest class to date with all the elite in-state talent available this cycle. Our best current commit (Williams) is considered highly unlikely to stick. Cronkrite, Perry, Lawson, Archibald, and Patchan are very nice additions, especially the first two. But even the most hopeful optimist would likely admit that the other half of the class doesn't inspire much excitement, while others would outright call some of them questionable takes.

And while we did land the eventual best player on the team (Coley) and a talented, athletic LB (Grace) on NSD 2013, there were also several high-profile misses on that day, including a bunch of players many were expecting in this class. There's a sense after the past couple years that this staff struggles to close, which makes it all the more important that we get off to a great start and hope to hang onto as many top targets as possible.

Not trying to be a "mope" or anything like that. Just providing the alternate perspective. Hopefully we end up with a great class.

Advertisement
Except for NT, the recruiting has been much better than the coaching. NT or DT has been sad at best. This year we got a couple but to run a 3-4 without the essential NT is borderline stupid. Losing TV and Collins are the only two that I find real painful. The only real big recruiting failure has been at DT/NT. This is multiplied by failure to field a system that adjusted for that. Plus I feel that overall, this staff has continued a trend that started before it got here -- no development and even some backslide. 2014 class was very good and should be the material to add to '12 & '13 to field an excellent team. Recruiting has been good enough, not great, but good enough. I for one have lost all confidence in the staff's coaching and ability to discern cause of failures. And that is not limited to the defense. I agree completely that this year the coaches must show up and be judged.

5.png

He made me proud again about the canes. Swag hat was the cherry on top!

The fact is we are getting better talent. Another fact is there are still too many home grown top tier talents committing elsewhere and too many not willing to commit within a 50 mile radius. We haven't shown the ability to close on DT's even though there is an opportunity to play early. We also know why, our DC, defense and defensive performances aren't attractive to the better down linemen. Here's the stunner! Of our current commits, only Spence, Brown and Cronkrite from the immediate Miami area! That's not a good position to be in when you're the home school in the most densely packed area in the world for hs football players. The cold fact is there are only several players in the State of Miami region we are in play for, that we all would consider a recruiting victory. Another sad fact is that we will not get them all. They remaining S of M players are:

DB: McFadden, Cole and Devante Davis
S: Ja. Johnson,Tim Irvin. Carlton Davis
LB: Coney, Kilby-Lane and Dominic Sheppard
DT: None from State of Miami and no top tier we confident about.
DE: Strowbridge, R. McIntosh
TE: Clarington
WR: D. Phillips, Peete, Kahlil Lewis
QB: Gibson

Now while the sky is not falling, its very reasonable for any Canes fan to express disappointment and concern about this staff's recruiting abilities. Two schools have had better success in Miami, (FSU & Bama) than the Canes. Another fact is most of the top talent won't be signing with the Canes in 2015: Gibson, SBB, Ridley, Cole, Brewton, Kilby-Lane, T. McFadden, K. McFadden, Javon Durante and most likely Davante Phillips. With respect, less Cubans athletes have defected than those from the State of Miami. I rest my case for disappointment and concern.

Advertisement
Bama has 2 soft commits from Miami and they haven't landed a Miami recruit since Amari Cooper and they're doing better than Miami in Miami? Wow

Until we get a stadium you can forget closing on top talent. They don't want to play in front of 50k empty seats. And fans don't want to to go that dump to watch a game. Sad to say this is the way this program is going to stay.

Until we get a stadium you can forget closing on top talent. They don't want to play in front of 50k empty seats. And fans don't want to to go that dump to watch a game. Sad to say this is the way this program is going to stay.

This isn't as big of a deal as people make it out to be. Would it help, sure. Helping to get kids get drafted , having a good relationship with your recruiter, and winning big time ball games is more important and what big time players care about.

Good recruiters, multiple savages getting drafted, and winning big time ball games is what will help close on "top talent." "I'm trying to be 3 and out bruh" the aspirations of many southern savage recruits.

Advertisement
Back