Official Recruiting Credit/Responsibility

rsa coral gables

Malentendido
Premium
i've been thinking about this topic for a while and @Brooklyndee mentioned it in passing a few days ago when he said: "What people don't seem to understand with elite staffs when it comes to recruiting it's a shared effort."

since we've been cleaning house the last few months, porsters have mentioned that J coach or M coach didn't recruit as well and therefore should be dismissed OR that D coach or O coach shouldn't be fired/demoted/moved off the field because he is a tremendous recruiter. For example, some porsters argue that Coach Salave'a hasn't recruited anyone for his position and that Coach Wright did a tremendous job with DE this last cycle.

Anyway, the point of this porst is that, from my deeply and unforgiveable ignorant, uninformed and inexperienced point of view, i don't think that (a) coaches are compartmentalized into recruiting only their position and (b) perhaps more importantly, one coach is probably not always the sole person responsible for recruiting a recruit, especially when you have a monster recruiter like Mario (even though a certain coach might be the primary liaison with a certain recruit) . i argue that it's a shared responsibility, it has to be. if this is true, then the conclusion is that we cannot always really know who is doing a great job in recruiting and who lost x recruit or gets credit for z recruit.

/carry on

Last edited:
Advertisement
It’s actually kinda terrifying how people take something like interpersonal relationships and make it so binary

I just hope it’s just message board fodder and not how people actually live their lives

This narrative is a weapon that is used to argue in favor of a Coach that someone likes & against a Coach that someone doesn’t like...

With that being said, from here on out I’m giving all recruiting credit regardless of position to Terry Jefferson & Coach Sabbath.

Good day

tenor.gif

Mario knows who has it and who doesnt. I am sure he wants a staff full of guys who have it.

But there is a lot of cross recruiting with guys who kids will like talking to on the phone, texting, Twitter, etc. Get them on campus with whatever it takes then if a bad recruiter is at least a good coach you can focus on that during the visit and Mario can close with the big picture view.

I said it before I know the effort I put into recruiting lower level baseball and it was basically another part time job on top of my duties. D1 football it has to be a full time job with overtime for a head coach now. Not just recruiting high school kids but now you have to re-recruits kids on your roster snooping around for money instead of just getting better.

Advertisement
The Salavea hate i see on this board drives me nuts bc of this.
Without Salavea, we do not land the Mauigoa bros. Take that to the bank. I know the Mauigoa parents and they are traditional Samoans. American Samoa is a small island. At Tafuna HS, I coached with Joe's older brother Oakland Salavea who coached Francis and Francisco. Oakland played at Colorado Buff in the 90's. His son Oakie plays Safety there now as a red shirt freshman. My point is...there is an unspoken bond between Samoan parents of trusting one a other with our children. Every Samoan kid who has ever played football, knows Joe Salavea. He was a monster with the Redskins in the 90's.

The pic is Oakie Salave'a and his dad from back in the day.
FGgY5pZVUAQxDZS.jpg
J0uF1s9R_400x400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lot of attention given to who the “lead” recruiters are even to the point of them being ranked by recruiting “services”. At the end of the day, Canes know that Mario is more than likely the “lead” on every recruit with an assist from one of the other coaches.

Just an observation, but when we see a picture posted of a recruit regardless of position, almost the entire coaching staff including analysts and the recruiting department, is in the picture.

Without Salavea, we do not land the Mauigoa bros. Take that to the bank. I know the Mauigoa parents and they are traditional Samoans. American Samoa is a small island. At Tafuna HS, I coached with Joe's older brother Oakland Salavea who coached Francis and Francisco. Oakland played at Colorado Buff in the 90's. His son Oakie plays Safety there now as a red shirt freshman. My point is...there is an unspoken bond between Samoan parents of trusting one a other with our children. Every Samoan kid who has ever played football, knows Joe Salavea. He was a monster with the Redskins in the 90's.

culture culture culture.

Advertisement
i've been thinking about this topic for a while and @Brooklyndee mentioned it in passing a few days ago when he said: "What people don't seem to understand with elite staffs when it comes to recruiting it's a shared effort."

since we've been cleaning house the last few months, porsters have mentioned that J coach or M coach didn't recruit as well and therefore should be dismissed OR that D coach or O coach shouldn't be fired/demoted/moved off the field because he is a tremendous recruiter. For example, some porsters argue that Coach Salave'a hasn't recruited anyone for his position and that Coach Wright did a tremendous job with DE this last cycle.

Anyway, the point of this porst is that, from my deeply and unforgiveable ignorant, uninformed and inexperienced point of view, i don't think that (a) coaches are compartmentalized into recruiting only their position and (b) perhaps more importantly, one coach is probably not always the sole person responsible for recruiting a recruit, especially when you have a monster recruiter like Mario (even though a certain coach might be the primary liaison with a certain recruiter) . i argue that it's a shared responsibility, it has to be. if this is true, then the conclusion is that we cannot always really know who is doing a great job in recruiting and who lost x recruit or gets credit for z recruit.

/carry on
Agreed but there’s a recruiting section where this would fit in better bruh

DEION BEATS US AGAIN

Im The Best Pro Wrestling GIF by ALL ELITE WRESTLING

Anyway, the point of this porst is that, from my deeply and unforgiveable ignorant, uninformed and inexperienced point of view, i don't think that (a) coaches are compartmentalized into recruiting only their position and (b) perhaps more importantly, one coach is probably not always the sole person responsible for recruiting a recruit, especially when you have a monster recruiter like Mario (even though a certain coach might be the primary liaison with a certain recruiter) . i argue that it's a shared responsibility, it has to be. if this is true, then the conclusion is that we cannot always really know who is doing a great job in recruiting and who lost x recruit or gets credit for z recruit.

/carry on
Absolutely true. Everything rises and falls on leadership, but croots want to feel that love from several of their potential coaches.

Advertisement
The Salavea hate i see on this board drives me nuts bc of this.
TIFWIW . . . someone whom I trust told me before Feldman's article or tweet talking about under-performing recruiters or coaches on the staff that Joe wasn't pulling his weight. When the Feldman thing hit, it certainly seemed to validate what was told to me. And I know there has been some discussion here about folks saying that Big Joe isn't particularly a personable guy.

Personally, I don't care about him too much one way or the other. I tend to care less about position coaches and more about coordinators. He stays or goes I don't care. It's not like he's a huge loss IMO. I personally think his impact here is likely far less than if he was out on the west coast.

Advertisement
Obviously position coaches matter but not nearly as much as some want to believe. Their importance on winning and losing recruits is way overstated

Scheme
HC
School / city
Success of team / trajectory / hype
NIL

Are all more important than a position coach imo because recruits and their families know position coaches can and will bounce at any given time

Also you can have an incredible position coach but if those things listed above suck, more times than not you’re losing the recruit

TIFWIW . . . someone whom I trust told me before Feldman's article or tweet talking about under-performing recruiters or coaches on the staff that Joe wasn't pulling his weight. When the Feldman thing hit, it certainly seemed to validate what was told to me. And I know there has been some discussion here about folks saying that Big Joe isn't particularly a personable guy.

Personally, I don't care about him too much one way or the other. I tend to care less about position coaches and more about coordinators. He stays or goes I don't care. It's not like he's a huge loss IMO. I personally think his impact here is likely far less than if he was out on the west coast.
Lol. If Joe was not here, we would not have landed Francis or his brother. He recruits outside of his position due to his ethnicity. The fact that a Samoan kid is even considering UM with how poorly we have performed is a miracle. A Samoan miracle at that. Samoans dont have "personable" appearances lmao. We are warriors not princess like.....yeah. Go back and look at Francis committ video. It'll tell you everything you need to know about Samoans. We stick together. And we flock to where our people are. Joe is very uplfiting christian man. Idk where this nonsense of him not being personable comes from. There is a reason the Samoan people are called the "happy people." Relationships reign supreme in my culture. We smell bs and call it out.

/carry on

this +100

putting aside how the head coach personally manages how he engages in day to day recruiting, (doers: mario, orgeron, meyer vs. governors: ryan day, sarkisian) it's a shared responsibility, with the coach for the designated geography typically the lead.

and a position coach or coordinator, the "1st run support," if you will.

your post is accurate and anyone who would say otherwise doesn't really understand how it works.

Don’t go down on the wrong side of history.

Advertisement
Back